Top of the League Thread

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to have the points in the bag even though others have games in hand, but probably midweek ones. Next two games against Stirling and Peterhead will tell us a lot more about us and them then we'll see where we are going into the second half of the season. Not so long ago the Binos looked to be well on a roll but so did Forfar at this stage last season and Arbroath before that. Still a lot to play for but the Mo do look in good shape at present - always a dark horse lurking somewhere though - who is it?

Err, wouldn't that be us?

Don't think pundits saw things shaping up like this, earlier in the season.

Still a long way to go but the number of players scoring goals is a plus i.m.o.

Other teams will get wise to how we are winning and try to snuff out our threat but I think Petrie has enough tactical nous to keep on churning out results.

It hasn't felt this good being a Mo fan for longer than I can remember. I only wish I could watch them myself. Might be back in  Scotland in May, so hoping I might just manage to take in a match then. Hopefully they will still be at the races come then.

Just looked at fixtures and there are no matches in May, so would gladly not watch the Mo then if it meant they'd already won it.

That’s because they haven’t got a clue or an
Interest of football at this level.

I think anyone who knows this league would generally have tipped the top 4 to be the teams that currently occupy it.

Still think Peterhead will win the league, but if you win your next 2 games that gap is going to be hard to claw back.

Anyone apart from Albion for me, peter MacDonald and other boy who was with Clyde last year must be going through a bit of de ya vue getting descent or good results up to Christmas then falling apart... Can't wait till they fall out of top 4 and Jake and co can worry about falling out the league

Anyone apart from Albion for me, peter MacDonald and other boy who was with Clyde last year must be going through a bit of de ya vue getting descent or good results up to Christmas then falling apart... Can't wait till they fall out of top 4 and Jake and co can worry about falling out the league

Just you worry about league survival buddy, we'll worry about our title fight.

5 hours ago, Brummo said:

Err, wouldn't that be us?

Still a long way to go but the number of players scoring goals is a plus i.m.o.

Other teams will get wise to how we are winning and try to snuff out our threat but I think Petrie has enough tactical nous to keep on churning out results.

It hasn't felt this good being a Mo fan for longer than I can remember. I only wish I could watch them myself. Might be back in  Scotland in May, so hoping I might just manage to take in a match then. Hopefully they will still be at the races come then.

Just looked at fixtures and there are no matches in May, so would gladly not watch the Mo then if it meant they'd already won it.

Don't agree we were dark horses at the start of the season even if the pundits might have thought so. Pundits don't know this division as we, the fans do. Anyone who saw our push in the second half of last season from bottom and looking down and out to play-offs by the end of April I doubt would have had us as dark horses this season.

Agree with the rest of your post though and hope you can make it for a game this season.

By pundits, I don't mean the meedja "experts", I'm thinking more along the lines of "Tell him he's Pele" site.

Think we were down as promotion play-off contenders but by no means favourites to win league. As last year showed, in a 10 team league , the difference between which play-off you're aiming for and avoiding is not so great.

I don't think anyone reckoned we'd be at the wrong end of the table but I think few would have expected us to be doing as well as we are at present. Of course, there's still a long way to go and even good results in the next couple of big games won't change that but every game won is a step nearer the target.

On another topic, someone raised the Spectre of Petrie being head-hunted by Dunfermline. That would certainly be a spanner in the works for us were it to happen. Hopefully it won't, in the near future at least.

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

On another topic, someone raised the Spectre of Petrie being head-hunted by Dunfermline. That would certainly be a spanner in the works for us were it to happen. Hopefully it won't, in the near future at least.

I heard this from somebody at the Berwick game. Not sure what SP does for a day job though and how that might affect his progress in football. At a club like ours it's always gonna be a problem and it would also adversely affect us if Cammy Ballantyne went. At present he's on a season long loan so I don't think his parent club could either take him back or sell him in January but the lad is so good he could well play for Scotland one day if he gets club footy at a higher level. The upside as either you or somebody else said is that we have moved up a notch or two right through the club from Board level to off the field matters as well. That along with the fact that other L2 and some L1 clubs just manage to survive and are not in as good a shape as we are either on or off the pitch is good for us relatively but as I think we all agree there will be set backs along the way - but not just for us as others have key loan signings at risk too. 

Good to be enjoying this season and better to be facing potential problems from a position of strength rather than being kicked in the goolies whilst scraping the barrel.

Looks like we'll have to keep this thread warm for a while at least until Peterheid play their games in hand after playing us next Saturday. Actually it's about time we beat Jim McNally's side so next Saturday would be a good time to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived