Non/Low alcohol beers and lagers

I think it was Wisbit who just drunk coffee when he was at the pub.

He also didn't believe in gravity or the holocaust and lived with his Mum despite being in his late 30s. So I'm not going out on a limb by describing him as a psychopath.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago I went 5 months without drinking as I was getting bad liver pains and the Doctor told me to lay off it. It's probably the best I have felt healthwise in years and I got my liver count back down to almost normal levels.

On the whole I tried to avoid social occasions but the few I did go to I had c*nts holding their pints under my nose. I went to a local fitba teams player of the year dance and lasted an hour due to folk winding me up about not drinking.

Eventually I just went back on the drink but this time I am determined to try and stay off it. When you tell folk on nights out that your not drinking they look at you as if you have some highly contagious disease.

A few years ago I went 5 months without drinking as I was getting bad liver pains and the Doctor told me to lay off it. It's probably the best I have felt healthwise in years and I got my liver count back down to almost normal levels.

On the whole I tried to avoid social occasions but the few I did go to I had c*nts holding their pints under my nose. I went to a local fitba teams player of the year dance and lasted an hour due to folk winding me up about not drinking.

Eventually I just went back on the drink but this time I am determined to try and stay off it. When you tell folk on nights out that your not drinking they look at you as if you have some highly contagious disease.

I'm not drinking at home for the time being. Put on almost a stone since my bairn was born and decided the almost nightly beers aren't helping with that, but tbh I think I would find being in a pub boring without a drink so couldn't see myself lasting if I tried.

I'm not drinking at home for the time being. Put on almost a stone since my bairn was born and decided the almost nightly beers aren't helping with that, but tbh I think I would find being in a pub boring without a drink so couldn't see myself lasting if I tried.

Drinking in the house can become a bad habit. I've found myself in some states just sitting in the house getting canned especially at the weekends if I wasn't going out.

Drinking in the house can become a bad habit. I've found myself in some states just sitting in the house getting canned especially at the weekends if I wasn't going out.

I rarely get drunk at home but I'll have two or three beers probably five or six nights out of seven. It's just become a habit, but the bairn to bed then come through and open a beer. Used to just have beer in the house when watching football but the past year or so it's become almost nightly so feeling the need to change that. Not had a drink this week and not really thought about it, but watching some of the football tonight I think I might be tempted and the non-alcoholic beer might get opened.

Having a few non-alcoholic beers whilst I watch the football this afternoon and one bought a selection so thought I may as well post my opinions on each on here.

BECKS BLUE

cb8f6a827842d8e4450582cf100e70f3.jpg

First impression is this is quite obviously not beer. It tastes very metallic but has no finish at all. It's a metallic tasting, quite bitter, fizzy water. If you have ever tried tasting just the head of a lager, that's sort of what this tastes like. It isn't terrible but I would choose a coke over it if this was the only non-alcoholic option.

2/10

Having a few non-alcoholic beers whilst I watch the football this afternoon and one bought a selection so thought I may as well post my opinions on each on here.

BECKS BLUE

cb8f6a827842d8e4450582cf100e70f3.jpg

First impression is this is quite obviously not beer. It tastes very metallic but has no finish at all. It's a metallic tasting, quite bitter, fizzy water. If you have ever tried tasting just the head of a lager, that's sort of what this tastes like. It isn't terrible but I would choose a coke over it if this was the only non-alcoholic option.

2/10

I've got half a dozen bottles of this in the fridge.
I'll try them during the week.

FRANZISKANER ALKOHOLFREI

d6fb9fcee27af2e02fc872c3a4700af8.jpg

The only wheat bear on my list and it's a notable improvement on the Becks. It's got a sweet flavour to it and it looks and smells like a wheat bear. Again it's lacking the finish, but it's a perfectly passable beer and if I didn't know it was alcohol free I probably wouldn't be able to guess from the flavour.

5/10 (would be higher if I was fonder of wheat beer)

Televised football over for a couple of hours so I've moved onto the cricket. New sport, new beer.

NANNY STATE - BREWDOG

8dd9cfd44015d7d6517fa5229f84d72a.jpg

First impression is that it's considerably more bitter than the previous two. Sadly the metallic flavour has returned. The lack of finish which plagued the previous two isn't quite as pronounced though, but it isn't completely absent either. It's got quite a hoppy element, albeit not to the extent you expect with a brewdog beer, but that's to its credit as I find Brewdog over hop their beers. Best so far. However it's also the most expensive one I've purchased, at £1.80 for a single 330ml bottle. Would happily drink again.

7/10

WARSTEINER 0.0%

fc198ec76eb9ae49bb21ffc931b7cf9f.jpg

Back to lager. Tastes less metallic than the Becks, less bitter, bit fizzier. It tastes like lager. A fairly blande, tasteless lager, but lager. Less obviously non-alcoholic than the Becks. Tastes like a Bud Light or something of that type. If you like bland lagers you will like this.

5/10

Archived