Non/Low alcohol beers and lagers

After years of kicking the arse out if it and a recent health scare I have finally decided to cut down on the bevvy. If I could I would like to chuck it totally.

Has anyone tried any of these non-alcoholic beers or lagers. I was always one of these "don't see the point of them brigade" but after my last visit to the Doc's I'm willing to try them.

I don't think I could sit in the pub all night and drink cola but if any of these were any good I would happily drink them if even pubs stock them.

With the risk of a load of abuse has anyone tried them and if so are any of them any good.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple years ago I had to cut out the booze for a month or so due to an illness and most of the non-alcoholic beers sold here were fairly crap, the only ones that seemed drinkable were German, Becks Blue and Paulaner de-alcoholized were only decent and they were the best ones I tried. 

6 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

A couple years ago I had to cut out the booze for a month or so due to an illness and most of the non-alcoholic beers sold here were fairly crap, the only ones that seemed drinkable were German, Becks Blue and Paulaner de-alcoholized were only decent and they were the best ones I tried. 

It's a while ago, but first and last time I was in Canada you could drink as much draft beer as you could handle and remain sober, and still get a stonking hangover in the morning. The rumour was that it was made in a day by mixing syrup, water and pure alcohol together. I stuck to bottles after the first go.

Just now, welshbairn said:

It's a while ago, but first and last time I was in Canada you could drink as much draft beer as you could handle and remain sober, and still get a stonking hangover in the morning. The rumour was that it was made in a day by mixing syrup, water and pure alcohol together. I stuck to bottles after the first go.

How long ago was that?  In my drinking life (15 years or so) I have not experienced that.  Some of the most popular beers don't take much to give a big hangover though, Labatt Blue and Molson Canadian will give me a terrible headache after just 2 or 3 pints but you can still feel the booze when you drink it.  

If you go to the states and drink the major brewery beers it will take a lot longer to get a buzz though.  Once downed a 6 pack of Miller High Life in an hour while on holiday in New York and barely felt it, and I'm a a small guy!

6 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

How long ago was that?  In my drinking life (15 years or so) I have not experienced that.  Some of the most popular beers don't take much to give a big hangover though, Labatt Blue and Molson Canadian will give me a terrible headache after just 2 or 3 pints but you can still feel the booze when you drink it.  

If you go to the states and drink the major brewery beers it will take a lot longer to get a buzz though.  Once downed a 6 pack of Miller High Life in an hour while on holiday in New York and barely felt it, and I'm a a small guy!

Early Eighties in Northern BC. Think I settled on bottled Molsen. Can't remember the draft brand.

Just now, senorsoupe said:

Ah OK, yah beer has come a long way in Canada since then! 

You forgot ...........................................................................................................................eh.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

And the rest.

I mind when the missus she bought a bottle of Eisberg Non Alcoholic wine and I took a sip. Fucking disastrous pish water.

I ended up with a bottle of non-alcoholic wine once as well, tasted terrible so I used it to cook with

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

And the rest.

I mind when the missus she bought a bottle of Eisberg Non Alcoholic wine and I took a sip. Fucking disastrous pish water.

German red wine was pretty hard to find many years ago. Imagine my delight when I found some in a supermarket in Hanover.

Drove it all the way back home and kept it for several months.

One night decided this was time to try and share with friends. Got the bottle out and only then did I notice the label " Alcohol Frei "

FFS! Fortunately had plenty French stuff in the house.

16 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I've read reviews online and Heineken seems to get the best write up for their no alcohol lager.

I absolutely love a drink so it's very difficult to be told you need to think about how much you drink on the future.

images-16.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The majority of non alcoholic beer is fucking awful though, you'd be better off just drinking yourself to death.

The very advice my father gave me when i was 15. 

Archived