Sticking up for Scottish Football

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Aye that's right, 40% of football fans just stopped going in the 60s because of a war that ended 20 years earlier

A Celtic fan ignorant of his British history. Colour me shocked. 

Mental how you think a war that claimed the life of 8 million Scots wouldn't have a negative impact on attendances tbh. 

You made a c**t of it, just move on. Don't try the old, I'll make it look like I was at it trick.

Anyone with a more sensible reason?

13 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Any idea what the cause of the drop was between 55 and 65?

TV arrived for the masses. It almost killed cinema as well as seriously damaging football. But standards of living improved generally and football just dropped down the list of priorities - big games still got massive crowds, just run of the mill games didn't.

TV arrived for the masses. It almost killed cinema as well as seriously damaging football. But standards of living improved generally and football just dropped down the list of priorities - big games still got massive crowds, just run of the mill games didn't.

[emoji106]

2 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

The quality of the game in recent years has took a turn for the up and it has f**k all to do with the SFA or the fucking SPFL,

Clubs themselves have got a grip of their finances on their own and we are now reaping the benefits of seeing the quality of player in the league/s because they aren't servicing debts any more. Of course the corrupt associations might try to jump on the honest clubs hard work and try to grab the limelight to themselves by claiming it's because they did something or other to help the game flourish.

The Armageddon these corrupt associations peddled when a certain club was going down the tubes didn't help one iota in their quest to force a new club upon us or it was financial hell if we did not accept it.

The associations fucked a pretty decent SKY deal to go with Setanta for a poxy measly £1 million extra and when Setanta went bust they went back to SKY who then quite rightly fucked the SPL & SFA right over by offering a paltry amount or nothing. This in turn had a dramatic affect on the clubs finances who had already budgeted for a bigger pot of money from sponsors only to see themselves having to cut corners at seeing huge amounts of prize money disappear.

In all honesty all the senior clubs bar one should unite together and tell both the SPFL & SFA to get to f**k and that they were going to form a new independent impartial association/s that will benefit all clubs instead of a few suits in associations who are more concerned on how much extra bonus money they can screw us over for and covering up the biggest corruption event in world football.

It's time to tell them to get to f**k and get the clubs to form a new association that works for the clubs and not the few c***s desperate to keep their jobs.

:lol: you're on another planet...

In the 1940s and 1950s Hearts were regularly the 2nd best supported team in Scotland and occasionally Hibs were ahead of Celtic too. I am being generous suggesting 20-25% for the first 20 years post WW2
However, it was a different time. Rangers played in front of 85,000 one week and maybe 20,000 next home game
The strange thing is that in those 20 years there were 7 different league champions and it was open season for the cups but attendances collapsed, falling by something like 40% between 1955 and 1965.
You're wrong about the 1980s btw. Attendaces at The Rest (excepting Aberdeen & Dundee Utd) were pitiful. The OF(D) were around 30% of the total by then largely because in the mid-80s Rangers began flexing their financial muscle. The average at Ibrox was never 10K, their worst was over 16,000 (their best in that decade was over 39,000) Celtic's worst was over 18,000

Thank you for that. Appreciate the work that has gone in to gathering those stats.

I'm sure there was an instance of Rangers playing Saints at Ibrox in the early 80's when the crowd was around 10k but I've no means of checking that just now.

I have only being going since the late 80s and can only base my opinion on that but i remember swathes of empty terrace when i first went to Celtic Park for example.

I would reckon that Hibs/Hearts/Dundee United/Aberdeen are probably playing in front of fairly comparable crowds now to what they were when i was attending games.

The Saints averages are probably skewed by the early good crowds at McDiarmid, followed by a good first season in the then Premier Division back in 90-91. I think before the move to McDiarmid the average at Muirton latterly was probably less than a couple of thousand so in real terms our crowds now are probably above average.

I will have to have a nosy at Manifest Destiny though to work that out.

11 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Thank you for that. Appreciate the work that has gone in to gathering those stats.

I'm sure there was an instance of Rangers playing Saints at Ibrox in the early 80's when the crowd was around 10k but I've no means of checking that just now.

I have only being going since the late 80s and can only base my opinion on that but i remember swathes of empty terrace when i first went to Celtic Park for example.

I would reckon that Hibs/Hearts/Dundee United/Aberdeen are probably playing in front of fairly comparable crowds now to what they were when i was attending games.

The Saints averages are probably skewed by the early good crowds at McDiarmid, followed by a good first season in the then Premier Division back in 90-91. I think before the move to McDiarmid the average at Muirton latterly was probably less than a couple of thousand so in real terms our crowds now are probably above average.

I will have to have a nosy at Manifest Destiny though to work that out.

There were certainly games at Ibrox in the 80s with less than 10,000, you're quite right. I was qouting averages because of course the average was bumped up by the bigotfest.

Game by game attendances varied hugely, it was still the days before the smoke-and-mirror 'cheap' season tickets had arrived. Aberdeen, after winning the Cup Winners Cup and in a title winning season could play in front of 13,000 one week and 24,000 the next. Nowadays thanks to the ST thing that variation is much less pronounced, not to mention ground capacities have gone down for the most part with all seating grounds (Pittodrie was already all-seated in the 80s )

I'm another who has a group of mates who are all EPL fanboys who would rather sit in a pub on a Saturday afternoon watching the scores come in rather than go along to a game. I am always raving about Scottish football and just get laughed at and told it's shite. Half full stadiums, Mickey moose teams etc etc. Try and explain that stadiums might not be half full if c***s like them went along and supported their own nation's league. It just gets so frustrating that you eventually just give up trying with them.

One of the most annoying things for me is when some Scottish person asks me who my English team is. Fucking none of them ya p***k

At least our stadiums are half full of people who give a shit about our game rather than tourists sitting with fucking half and half scarves and watching the game through their mobile screen as they record the whole thing to show their social media followers, and generally don't give a shit what the result is as long as they see Pogba do a dab or some other bollocks.

5 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Yeah this. 

The tv brings in cash for the clubs but it also acts as an advert for the game as a whole. You think the English grounds are packed out because of each supporter's passion for the club? It's because the game has been properly advertised as a quality entertainment option. Compare MOTD to Sportscene. It looks great! They big up the players to the heavens, and they edit out the garbage. The people paid to talk about our game only focus on the shite. If we had a comparable amount invested in our highlights package, to make it slick and shiny like MOTD, then more people who tune in just because its football will be likely to chance a return to the ground they've forgotten about just down the road. 

And yet as it stands, a far bigger chunk of our population goes to games than is the case in England.

Archived