Sticking up for Scottish Football

There's probably other threads related to this kind of topic but here goes....

Already this season in Scotland there has been some tremendous goals scored, through individual brilliance etc that if they were scored at Anfield or The Emirates folk would be salivating over them for yonks.

In the two competetive games I've been to I've witnessed three fantastic goals - Spoony and O'Halloran for us at Killie and Edwards brilliant strike against us for Thistle.

Seen highlights of the Tierney goal against Killie and the Dee player against United whose name i can't spell ha.

What I'm saying is we really need to talk up our game....It's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. I've been at enough games both sides of the border to have an imformed opinion that the difference in 'entertainment value' is negligible. It's certainly shinier down there, bigger crowds and in some cases a better atnosphere and there's obviously a gulf in skill levels etc but there's tonnes of tedious games in England as well.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree. Have had BT Sport the past year or two (now cancelled) and can count on one hand the number of entertaining games we watched from other leagues. We are brilliant at talking ourselves down through comparisons with the amount of money in our game when compared to others. We are also not helped by stuck in the past associations in the SPFL and SFA, whose marketing of the game is dreadful.

There's nothing like being at a game, and the people who would rather pay money to sit in and watch what Sky and BT are serving up as entertainment, than go out to their local (or further afield) ground to see a game, need a reason to get up off their arse and come to a ground. That's all of our responsibility, fans, clubs, the associations, to talk up the game and turn round this 'Scottish football is shite' mentality.

37 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

There's probably other threads related to this kind of topic but here goes....

Already this season in Scotland there has been some tremendous goals scored, through individual brilliance etc that if they were scored at Anfield or The Emirates folk would be salivating over them for yonks.

In the two competetive games I've been to I've witnessed three fantastic goals - Spoony and O'Halloran for us at Killie and Edwards brilliant strike against us for Thistle.

Seen highlights of the Tierney goal against Killie and the Dee player against United whose name i can't spell ha.

What I'm saying is we really need to talk up our game....It's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. I've been at enough games both sides of the border to have an imformed opinion that the difference in 'entertainment value' is negligible. It's certainly shinier down there, bigger crowds and in some cases a better atnosphere and there's obviously a gulf in skill levels etc but there's tonnes of tedious games in England as well.

TBF, Boyd's was a stonker as well.

Entirely agree with your sentiment though, as said above the product is good in comparison to nations of similar size and population (people that compare our game to that of down south need to think a little) but the marketing is awful, That though lies directly at the feet of the hierarchy in charge that are only there to pick up a tidy salary and do nothing for the game.  

9 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Seen Sunerland in pre season. I know it was a friendly but f**k me, they were pish. 

What frustrates me most is the English armchair football fan online spouting pish how shite Scottish football is every Time sky etc mention it. The guys have never been to a game here, they've seen highlights on Sky sports news and all of a sudden think they're expert enough to post their retarded opinion online. 

"Tinpot" etc. If you don't like it, dont watch it. Dont just go around posting shite about how shit it is at every opportunity. 

For me, English football is verging on disgusting. The amount of money being paid to footballers then the agents etc. Its so corrupt. Our game isn't perfect but its at least close to us working class people and the clubs dont just blatantly rip us off with over the top season tickets, tops etc. 

The money we pay keeps our clubs going. We dont make billionaires even richer with £1000 season tickets. 

Same can be said for the armchair old firm 'fans'.

I love Scottish football. It's wonderfully unique and the people who run our game don't cherish that nearly enough.

It's a cracking wee game. There's obviously the difficulty of a one horse race for now but outside of that it's very competitive and there's a load to shout about.

It really boils my piss how our media will not talk the game up when it's often worthy of praise. They always focus on the negatives.

6 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

Completely agree. Have had BT Sport the past year or two (now cancelled) and can count on one hand the number of entertaining games we watched from other leagues. We are brilliant at talking ourselves down through comparisons with the amount of money in our game when compared to others. We are also not helped by stuck in the past associations in the SPFL and SFA, whose marketing of the game is dreadful.

There's nothing like being at a game, and the people who would rather pay money to sit in and watch what Sky and BT are serving up as entertainment, than go out to their local (or further afield) ground to see a game, need a reason to get up off their arse and come to a ground. That's all of our responsibility, fans, clubs, the associations, to talk up the game and turn round this 'Scottish football is shite' mentality.

Don't want to get too political or anything but this unfortunately is a National psyche that has been beaten into us since Culloden. If you get told you're too wee, too small, too poor or too stupid enough then eventually you'll start to believe it, Individually or collectively. 

Seen Sunerland in pre season. I know it was a friendly but f**k me, they were pish. 
What frustrates me most is the English armchair football fan online spouting pish how shite Scottish football is every Time sky etc mention it. The guys have never been to a game here, they've seen highlights on Sky sports news and all of a sudden think they're expert enough to post their retarded opinion online. 
"Tinpot" etc. If you don't like it, dont watch it. Dont just go around posting shite about how shit it is at every opportunity. 
For me, English football is verging on disgusting. The amount of money being paid to footballers then the agents etc. Its so corrupt. Our game isn't perfect but its at least close to us working class people and the clubs dont just blatantly rip us off with over the top season tickets, tops etc. 
The money we pay keeps our clubs going. We dont make billionaires even richer with £1000 season tickets. 

Sunderland were truly bowfing. Chris Millar, 34 or whatever he is now, with chocolate for hamstrings, made two multi million pound midfielders look daft.

1 minute ago, SaintDougie said:

Don't want to get too political or anything but this unfortunately is a National psyche that has been beaten into us since Culloden. If you get told you're too wee, too small, too poor or too stupid enough then eventually you'll start to believe it, Individually or collectively. 

Exactly why it's our responsibility to talk it up and change people's attitude.

It absolutely is our responsibility to talk it up. The biggest barrier for me, in amongst a group of mates who everyone except me only watches English football, is that the top league is an absolute scoosh for one team every year so none of them are particularly interested. When I try to remedy that by saying that it's the same in England really, it's met with widespread derision and the idea that they'd rather watch a 1-0 with better quality football than a 3-3 north of the border where they deem the standard not as good.

Haven't watched a english game in over 2 years couldn't tell you how good bad or ugly it is,have absolute no interest in the game down south
Went to the st johnstone v traki game the saints were very unlucky that night, watched the Dundee derby very enjoyable game to watch great entertainment.
Also went to the Sunderland v Celtic game,Celtic played the same team as we played against killie in the cup couldn't believe how poor Sunderland where
Talking to Sunderland fans after the game they said that was their first team.
Our game shouldn't be compared to any other league it's not the best and it's far from being the worst.
I would put our football as a better than average football nation.

Comparing Scottish and English football directly is of course the mark of a massive simpleton.  But it you kind of use a money to quality ratio to compare, Scottish football blows English football out of the water IMO.

Comparing Scottish and English football directly is of course the mark of a massive simpleton.  But it you kind of use a money to quality ratio to compare, Scottish football blows English football out of the water IMO.

Agree completely. The two are incomparable but still some try.

Value for money wise give me a 20 quid game of football up here over a 50/60 quid and upwards game down there. We blow them out the water in that respect as well.

Listened to Alan Shearer talk up "the best league in the world" this morning. He added that the quality wasn't the best, but the full package was (he mentioned grounds, fans, managers etc etc) .  So, even with much more money than everyone else, they still can't put the "best" product onto the park...says something about the EPL, and that's from one of their biggest fans.  But that's an aside.

Too many people compare our league with the EPL.  Of course we're not going to look as good.  Do people in, say, Slovakia, complain about their game and whimper that across the border in Germany it's so much better?  No, I echo what was said about us being the worst at doing ourselves down.

I am pretty happy with what I see on most Saturdays.  I also enjoy going to see the Juniors; the quality of play might not be that great, in that no one is spraying 50 yard passes all over the shop every minute, but you can have an exciting and entertaining game without that.  Is that not what it is all about - being entertained and feeling that you've had a good day at the football?

Where we shouldn't lose sight of our deficiencies is the dismal skills and application of our players and our resulting poor performances against other nations and against clubs from other nations.  Forget about Celtic and comparing them to pish like Sunderland.  Celtic are on another planet from Killie etc, but we have to be aiming to improve our players overall to compete with the likes of Austrian and Belgian players.  The quality of the club sides and the international team should improve as a result.

We do need to look at marketing and the way we treat fans.  For example, I'm fed up going to a game with 500 people attending and getting treated like a potential nut job.

Listened to Alan Shearer talk up "the best league in the world" this morning. He added that the quality wasn't the best, but the full package was (he mentioned grounds, fans, managers etc etc) .  So, even with much more money than everyone else, they still can't put the "best" product onto the park...says something about the EPL, and that's from one of their biggest fans.  But that's an aside.
Too many people compare our league with the EPL.  Of course we're not going to look as good.  Do people in, say, Slovakia, complain about their game and whimper that across the border in Germany it's so much better?  No, I echo what was said about us being the worst at doing ourselves down.
I am pretty happy with what I see on most Saturdays.  I also enjoy going to see the Juniors; the quality of play might not be that great, in that no one is spraying 50 yard passes all over the shop every minute, but you can have an exciting and entertaining game without that.  Is that not what it is all about - being entertained and feeling that you've had a good day at the football?
Where we shouldn't lose sight of our deficiencies is the dismal skills and application of our players and our resulting poor performances against other nations and against clubs from other nations.  Forget about Celtic and comparing them to pish like Sunderland.  Celtic are on another planet from Killie etc, but we have to be aiming to improve our players overall to compete with the likes of Austrian and Belgian players.  The quality of the club sides and the international team should improve as a result.
We do need to look at marketing and the way we treat fans.  For example, I'm fed up going to a game with 500 people attending and getting treated like a potential nut job.

Brilliant points, particularly the last one. That has nothing to do with the game though and much more to do with the authorities in the UK as a whole. It's not a lot different down south in that respect. Government over any number of years have held football and football fans particularly in utter disdain.

In what other walk of life would large groups of people be treated in the manner that football fans are.

Anyway that's probably another topic altogether.

Archived