Cowdenbeath vs Edinburgh City

That was very young side we had out today, and every one of them played with real commitment. The inter-passing in the first half was great to watch, especially when we compare it with the hoofball last season. We fell away a bit in the second half, but the spirit and the commitment was there right to the end. Rumsby - a real captain and organiser - and David Syme were immense at the back, especially when the pressure increased towards the end. There were some great "they shall not pass" last-ditch tackles. The new guy from Dundee United really looked the part. With such a young side there are bound to be ups and downs - but major credit to Billy Brown for the team spirit on the park. The fans are responding to him and to the players. Smiles are back on the faces. It's early days, of course, but this is a promising young side the community should be taking pride in.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were better at Elgin last week and our goal came when we kept it on the carpet. Keeper didn't have to make a single save and we wasted several gilt edged chances.

Don't get why we played two up front away last week and one on his own at home today.

Overall a deserved 3 points I thought.

10 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

That was very young side we had out today, and every one of them played with real commitment. The inter-passing in the first half was great to watch, especially when we compare it with the hoofball last season. We fell away a bit in the second half, but the spirit and the commitment was there right to the end. Rumsby - a real captain and organiser - and David Syme were immense at the back, especially when the pressure increased towards the end. There were some great "they shall not pass" last-ditch tackles. The new guy from Dundee United really looked the part. With such a young side there are bound to be ups and downs - but major credit to Billy Brown for the team spirit on the park. The fans are responding to him and to the players. Smiles are back on the faces. It's early days, of course, but this is a promising young side the community should be taking pride in.

I'm like you Ron prefer to see young guys busting a gut playing hoping to make something of themselves in the game rather than guys on their way down looking for a last payday.

Rumsby and Syme are two really good players, will always remember Syme's last ditch tackle to stop an EK player in the play off game showed great commitment and he wasn't even a fully signed player at the time just on loan but it showed how much the guy cared.

We played well in the first half and deserved to lead with a good goal in the first half. Second half lost our way but still defended well. They didn't create anything really.

I am glad our keeper is continuing to prove me wrong on my early assessment.He is doing well Might be I know f**k all about goalkeepers :-)

8 hours ago, wulliemc said:

We were better at Elgin last week and our goal came when we kept it on the carpet. Keeper didn't have to make a single save and we wasted several gilt edged chances.

Don't get why we played two up front away last week and one on his own at home today.

Overall a deserved 3 points I thought.

Edinburgh play with a packed midfield so I think we just matched them up there to nullify their threat and it worked. One bit of quality football won the match. We had a couple of other good chances but I can't remember Edinburgh having any.

6 hours ago, MO7S said:

TBH at the current moment whoever lost this game is 10th.  Bye Bye City.

If the season was decided "at the current moment" then I'd agree with you.

Luckily, it's a long time until next May and I'll Guarantee you City will move higher up the table.

About the game yesterday, I agree with all the comments already made in the this thread.

Cowden just shaded it and deserved to win 1-0.

Too poor teams slugging it out, but hopefully both will improve over the season and be safe by May.

11 hours ago, HenryHill said:

We played well in the first half and deserved to lead with a good goal in the first half. Second half lost our way but still defended well. They didn't create anything really.

I am glad our keeper is continuing to prove me wrong on my early assessment.He is doing well Might be I know f**k all about goalkeepers :-)

Same as the game against Elgin. Was getting worried in the second half, City had a lot of possession without creating anything. They did get several corners which are always dangerous.

Can't fault the keeper yesterday, don't think he had one direct shot to save, Having said that we never had many shots either.

Muirhead ran himself into the ground and was knackered at the end. Buchanan and Connelly livened things up when they came on, maybe should have come on a bit earlier.

Still think we'll struggle against teams with big forwards, just as well we don't play Montrose for a while. Wait a minute.......

11 hours ago, MO7S said:

TBH at the current moment whoever lost this game is 10th.  Bye Bye City.

if it means never having to attend a match at the same time as Clyde fans again then roll on the LL! :lol:

Rumour on Saturday that we have signed this guy. Is it confirmed? He was very impressive:

From Dundee United website two years ago:

Brad Smith Extends Contract

December 17, 2015

Midfielder Brad Smith today secured a contract with Dundee United until May 2018.

The left-footer signed professional in July 2013 after seven years with the Academy and has impressed in his performances for the Development squad since.

Mixu Paatelainen, Head Coach of United said, “Brad is a young, promising midfielder with plenty of talent. He has performed consistently at a good level in development games and I feel he has a real opportunity to become a first team regular at Dundee United.”

48 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

Rumour on Saturday that we have signed this guy. Is it confirmed? He was very impressive:

From Dundee United website two years ago:

Brad Smith Extends Contract

December 17, 2015

Midfielder Brad Smith today secured a contract with Dundee United until May 2018.

The left-footer signed professional in July 2013 after seven years with the Academy and has impressed in his performances for the Development squad since.

Mixu Paatelainen, Head Coach of United said, “Brad is a young, promising midfielder with plenty of talent. He has performed consistently at a good level in development games and I feel he has a real opportunity to become a first team regular at Dundee United.”

I believe so.

Agree with previous posters about the match. What we seemed to be crying out for in the second half was someone with a bit of experience to put their foot  on the ball in the middle of the park and organize the midfield. I suspect the manager has been looking for just such a player( O'Brien before his legs went, or Turner  before his head went)but has been unable to find one. We will just have to go with a young head instead. The players attitude has been terrific though and I can see us improving throughout the season.

15 minutes ago, iateallthepies said:

Agree with previous posters about the match. What we seemed to be crying out for in the second half was someone with a bit of experience to put their foot  on the ball in the middle of the park and organize the midfield. I suspect the manager has been looking for just such a player( O'Brien before his legs went, or Turner  before his head went)but has been unable to find one. We will just have to go with a young head instead. The players attitude has been terrific though and I can see us improving throughout the season.

Heard we were close to signing Marc millar before he went to Forfar last minute.

pretty much the player you're describing 

9 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

I know money is tight, but I'd be for offering Syme a longer deal right now. Keep up good performances and he'll have decent clubs after him.

And Muirhead. We have a 19 year old striker leading the line and doing well. Not many of them about !

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

And Muirhead. We have a 19 year old striker leading the line and doing well. Not many of them about !

Muirhead is quality. Never understood why he didn't get more game time last season. I don't mind having a young team. It will be bad some weeks, but we should be ok and get some good results.

Impressed with the work rate and discipline of the team. In patches we play decent stuff as well which is mainly all through muirhead. Was Morris injured?

The young lad connelly is very impressive. We need another striker for sure though. The boy smith on left looks decent and is natural left sided which I like gives you good balance. Syme/rumsby solid.

Very young side and energetic and it appears quite fit. I agree that against some of the top 2-3 teams we may struggle e.g Peterhead. With an experienced lower league centre mid and a striker we should be in good shape though. Long as we keep injury free to key players syme/rumsby the main 2 we need to keep fit.

If we had the lad josh walker he is the exact type of player we need in our team. Really good and tidy player. City were powderpuff up top and beattie did well at the back for them. The offender thomson had a good game.

MONE THE COWDEN

Impressed with the work rate and discipline of the team. In patches we play decent stuff as well which is mainly all through muirhead. Was Morris injured?
The young lad connelly is very impressive. We need another striker for sure though. The boy smith on left looks decent and is natural left sided which I like gives you good balance. Syme/rumsby solid.
Very young side and energetic and it appears quite fit. I agree that against some of the top 2-3 teams we may struggle e.g Peterhead. With an experienced lower league centre mid and a striker we should be in good shape though. Long as we keep injury free to key players syme/rumsby the main 2 we need to keep fit.
If we had the lad josh walker he is the exact type of player we need in our team. Really good and tidy player. City were powderpuff up top and beattie did well at the back for them. The offender thomson had a good game.
MONE THE COWDEN

Both Harvey Swann and Josh Morris were out due to injury.

Archived