Fraud

pleslie99

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Happened to me about 10 years ago. The police identified the ATM where it happened. It happened just before pay day so I didn't have much in my account. So the crafty buggers held off until I got paid, then lifted 300 notes out a day until I was skint. The bank refunded me, but it took about 2 months - during which I had to eat out of bins. 

Could have been me. It was me. 

Should have went to a hostel, apparently you can just eat anycunts food in there 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A shame there aren't any prominent Annan fans in General Nonsense: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40886024

Police Scotland were called to investigate at the end of June when Annan Athletic failed to receive an end of season payment from the league.

The League Two side were expecting about £18,000 but the funds were paid into a fraudulent account.

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

One that pissed me off more than the emptying of my bank account was earlier this year, my girlfriend was given a £75 M+S gift card by her work. I looked up on ebay and saw they were changing hands for about £65, so offered to sell it on there for her. 

So I took a picture of the front of the gift-card and fired it onto eBay. It sold quickly, and a couple of days later, I got an angry email stating that there was no money on the card. It turns out that the full £75 had been spent in WH Smith's in King's Cross Station the same day I put it up for auction. 

What I don't understand is that while there is a security code AND a wee scratch panel thing you have to scratch off, some arsehole was able to only use the 16 digit number on the front of the card to "use" the voucher in a shop. What's the point of all the other numbers?

You can use M&S gift cards in WH Smith?

You wanted £65 for a £75 gift card?

8 minutes ago, The OP said:

I was flat broke once and sold one for 2/3 to the wife of the guy running the kebab shop. I can only imagine the Cardinal was under extreme pressure.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was flat broke once and sold one for 2/3 to the wife of the guy running the kebab shop. I can only imagine the Cardinal was under extreme pressure.

Just thinking you can dine in for two for £10 7 times and still have money left over for some sexy y-fronts.

22 minutes ago, The OP said:

Sorry, I don't know where I got WH Smith from. 

Aye, she figured she'd rather have £65 cash than £75 to spend in M+S. As it was, she got nothing to spend anywhere. 

14 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Has any other P&Ber been the victim of fraud. Yesterday I received a phone call saying my car finance payment hadn't gone through. Shocked and embarrassed as this is a DD I apologised and offered to pay over the phone. When I tried to do this it was rejected. I logged on to internet banking to find my account had been emptied and put into an unauthorised overdraft by some fucktard in India! (The money had been taken out in Indian rupees). I phoned the banks fraud department who said my card details had been stolen somehow. Seeing as I don't buy much online and I'm very anal about checking ATMs not sure how this happened. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

You sure the car finance call wasn't bogus? 

I was raging to say the least! Luckily I'm always skint and they didn't get much as there wasn't much to take!
I like to think I'm pretty careful tbh but just shows!
Incidentally the card in question wasn't even a contactless one so couldn't have been scanned in my pocket or anything!

Regardless of how much was taken, you would get it back anyway, bank would refund

Had my credit card ripped off a few years back, or at least I would have had it not bounced when they tried to buy train tickets. First thing they had bought was a NY Times for a dollar or so, then the second thing was on the Trainline website, the 350 quid they tried to spend was more than was available, so it was rejected and I got a call from the bank shortly after to tell me.

On 10/08/2017 at 22:14, EdgarusQPFC said:

You sure the car finance call wasn't bogus? 

The very same thought crossed my mind as well.

What's the b etting he gave the security number off the back of the card over the phone as well.

5 hours ago, Johnny Däpp said:

Only once I got done. Found a £90 transaction from eBuyer, a company I have never used or even visited their site thinking of it. One call to the Royal Bank and within 24 hours the money was credited back into my credit card and a new credit card issued. 

You should, m9; they're quality. They've had thousands of pounds from me over the years.

Well, I say from me...(sorry)...

Someone used my Paypal account to the tune of £600 for a weekend in Amsterdam and a Dr Dre pill speaker on the Argos eBay outlet.

Paypal notified me (via email) that they believed a couple of fraudulent transactions were made using my account. All was fine eventually but the money came out of my bank into Paypal and was put on hold. Instead of being refunded straight away I had to wait until the hold was lifted and only then could I withdraw the money myself.

I had a receipt from eBay (via Paypal) with a transaction number, phone number and the address (a flat in London) that was going to be used to send the speaker to.

I phoned the Police and contacted eBay but neither were bothered. Their answer was basically "Well you got your money back, what's the problem ?"

I am well aware I am not the only person to be scammed but I had an address. I don't know whether this flat would have been routinely used or if were they just testing the water before booking the trip to Amsterdam.

Alright, this was a bit weird; not sure it really counts because I wasn't actually ripped off.

I got a couple of emails from Amazon one day a few years back, confirming that they were processing my order for two 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription cards. I figured it was a phishing scam, but logged into Amazon to check and, right enough, the orders were sitting in my order history. I started panicking about folk stealing my money, but I hadn't stored any of my own card details, so they'd added another card and used that. Even added a name and address in England to have it sent to.

I told Amazon, who cancelled the orders and sent me a load of form emails about reclaiming my money, and creating a more secure password (both unnecessary). Still no idea how they got into my account, as my password was random alphanumerics & symbols, nor what the point was, considering they didn't manage to steal anything from me.

40 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Alright, this was a bit weird; not sure it really counts because I wasn't actually ripped off.

I got a couple of emails from Amazon one day a few years back, confirming that they were processing my order for two 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription cards. I figured it was a phishing scam, but logged into Amazon to check and, right enough, the orders were sitting in my order history. I started panicking about folk stealing my money, but I hadn't stored any of my own card details, so they'd added another card and used that. Even added a name and address in England to have it sent to.

I told Amazon, who cancelled the orders and sent me a load of form emails about reclaiming my money, and creating a more secure password (both unnecessary). Still no idea how they got into my account, as my password was random alphanumerics & symbols, nor what the point was, considering they didn't manage to steal anything from me.

No Fraud thread for this pish.

I've never been scammed but maybe it's down to the fact that I don't have a bank card or online banking.

I have a bank book and have to go into the bank to get cash. I'm actually starving at the moment as I don't have any money for food and I forgot to go yesterday morning before they closed.

Still I only have to wait until 09.30am tomorrow morning until they open. It will be good for my waist line and I can sleep safe in the knowledge that I haven't been scammed. That's if the hunger pains don't keep me awake.

Archived