Fraud

pleslie99

Has any other P&Ber been the victim of fraud. Yesterday I received a phone call saying my car finance payment hadn't gone through. Shocked and embarrassed as this is a DD I apologised and offered to pay over the phone. When I tried to do this it was rejected. I logged on to internet banking to find my account had been emptied and put into an unauthorised overdraft by someone in India! (The money had been taken out in Indian rupees). I phoned the banks fraud department who said my card details had been stolen somehow. Seeing as I don't buy much online and I'm very anal about checking ATMs not sure how this happened. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Has any other P&Ber been the victim of fraud. Yesterday I received a phone call saying my car finance payment hadn't gone through. Shocked and embarrassed as this is a DD I apologised and offered to pay over the phone. When I tried to do this it was rejected. I logged on to internet banking to find my account had been emptied and put into an unauthorised overdraft by some fucktard in India! (The money had been taken out in Indian rupees). I phoned the banks fraud department who said my card details had been stolen somehow. Seeing as I don't buy much online and I'm very anal about checking ATMs not sure how this happened. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

That's what you get for renewing your Sons season ticket by card.  Brabco's Indian subsidiary takes over.

37 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Has any other P&Ber been the victim of fraud. Yesterday I received a phone call saying my car finance payment hadn't gone through. Shocked and embarrassed as this is a DD I apologised and offered to pay over the phone. When I tried to do this it was rejected. I logged on to internet banking to find my account had been emptied and put into an unauthorised overdraft by some fucktard in India! (The money had been taken out in Indian rupees). I phoned the banks fraud department who said my card details had been stolen somehow. Seeing as I don't buy much online and I'm very anal about checking ATMs not sure how this happened. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

It's very easy to get your card cloned mate, happened to me in a petrol station because they had a camera pointed at the counter (well according to the police) and would have then zoomed into the card number and gone from there.

You'll have seen the adverts recently on TV but even via information on Facebook you can get caught out.

If you want your money back send me your details over and I'll sort it out for you.

How prevalent is card fraud via contactless with rogue RFID/NFC readers?

We got a gift from work, one of those Vault cards that prevent your contactless cards being read random passers by.  Just keep it in your wallet with your other cards  TBH, it's not something I'd have even considered buying for myself

I was at my kids school summer fund raiser a couple of months back. The police were there showing you how the crooks get your card details via cash machines.

Pinhole cameras and card readers that go over the bit where the card goes in. Very clever.

They were also handing out those covers for your contactless cards, so I'm assuming that is happening somewhere. They can take £30 x 3 per day. So £90 can be taken quite quickly, or so the policeman said.

I was raging to say the least! Luckily I'm always skint and they didn't get much as there wasn't much to take!
I like to think I'm pretty careful tbh but just shows!
Incidentally the card in question wasn't even a contactless one so couldn't have been scanned in my pocket or anything!

Happened to me about 10 years ago. The police identified the ATM where it happened. It happened just before pay day so I didn't have much in my account. So the crafty buggers held off until I got paid, then lifted 300 notes out a day until I was skint. The bank refunded me, but it took about 2 months - during which I had to eat out of bins. 

Could have been me. It was me. 

I was a victim of fraud about 10 years ago. Happened in London. I was paying for drinks with a bank card (yes, yes, pipe down) in a pub in Camden. Shortly after I got a phone call on a Saturday night from RBS asking me if I was in Hamburg. Apparently someone had spent £150 there, which was an odd pattern. Card got cut up and new card issued.

£150 is small beer so I'm assuming the giveaway was being in London and Hamburg at the same time.

4 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Happened to me about 10 years ago. The police identified the ATM where it happened. It happened just before pay day so I didn't have much in my account. So the crafty buggers held off until I got paid, then lifted 300 notes out a day until I was skint. The bank refunded me, but it took about 2 months - during which I had to eat out of bins. 

Could have been me. It was me. 

Luckily, you landed a Mod job at P&B - your salary here will have you rolling in the stuff.

I had some fraud about 7 or 8 years ago.  I was at work, in Canada, when I got a call from Visa asking me if I was in Sweden, which I most definitely was not.  Someone had used my card details to spend about 400 CAD on a hotel in Stockholm, Visa refunded it pretty quickly

Used my credit card to pay for flights last year with a certain carrier that's based in Manchester.

I rarely use the card so imagine my surprise when I got the statement in and it showed, from the following day, it having been used to buy a £20 phone topup (quite common, so I'm told, to see if they have all the correct details) then a couple of train tickets and then onto the main purchase - 2 tickets to Lahore for about £2000.

Don't know how they thought that'd work. Surely the rozzers would just have someone waiting at check in /passport control to get them lifted?

Anyway, bank v good about it, new card issued and all charges cancelled within 7 days or so of it all coming to light.

One that pissed me off more than the emptying of my bank account was earlier this year, my girlfriend was given a £75 M+S gift card by her work. I looked up on ebay and saw they were changing hands for about £65, so offered to sell it on there for her. 

So I took a picture of the front of the gift-card and fired it onto eBay. It sold quickly, and a couple of days later, I got an angry email stating that there was no money on the card. It turns out that the full £75 had been spent in WH Smith's in King's Cross Station the same day I put it up for auction. 

What I don't understand is that while there is a security code AND a wee scratch panel thing you have to scratch off, some arsehole was able to only use the 16 digit number on the front of the card to "use" the voucher in a shop. What's the point of all the other numbers?

5 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

One that pissed me off more than the emptying of my bank account was earlier this year, my girlfriend was given a £75 M+S gift card by her work. I looked up on ebay and saw they were changing hands for about £65, so offered to sell it on there for her. 

So I took a picture of the front of the gift-card and fired it onto eBay. It sold quickly, and a couple of days later, I got an angry email stating that there was no money on the card. It turns out that the full £75 had been spent in WH Smith's in King's Cross Station the same day I put it up for auction. 

What I don't understand is that while there is a security code AND a wee scratch panel thing you have to scratch off, some arsehole was able to only use the 16 digit number on the front of the card to "use" the voucher in a shop. What's the point of all the other numbers?

Serves you right for failing to observe celibacy, Your Eminence.

Archived