Fraud

pleslie99

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I've never been scammed but maybe it's down to the fact that I don't have a bank card or online banking.

I have a bank book and have to go into the bank to get cash. I'm actually starving at the moment as I don't have any money for food and I forgot to go yesterday morning before they closed.

Still I only have to wait until 09.30am tomorrow morning until they open. It will be good for my waist line and I can sleep safe in the knowledge that I haven't been scammed. That's if the hunger pains don't keep me awake.

You won't have any problem staying off the drink today then.

Santander send out fraud texts that read like phishing attempts - I ended up phoning them to double check. I reckon the RBS cash machine in Huntly got compromised since it was the day after I'd used it.

Turned out someone had bought a load of train tickets from Swindon, some mobile top ups and spent just over £300 online shopping at Asda.

Got all the money back and even better, because it was the first time I had apparently online shopping at Asda I got £30 cashback, so actually made a profit on the whole scam.

They must buy train tickets so they can cancel them and get cash back minus £10 a ticket. Easy enough to stop, insist any refunds go into the same account that paid for them, like M+S do with returns.

Somebody in Liverpool used my address in order to get cheaper car insurance.
When the insurance papers arrived at my house, I phoned them up and it was cancelled immediately
Probably one of the dumbest frauds I can imagine.

Some mischief maker discovered my password for P&B was simply "password"
They went into my account and put a like against something that McSpreader had posted.
Don't worry.  I managed to undo it.  I just hope it does not happen again.
Maybe I should change my password.

Some mischief maker discovered my password for P&B was simply "password"
They went into my account and put a like against something that McSpreader had posted.
Don't worry.  I managed to undo it.  I just hope it does not happen again.
Maybe I should change my password.

Change it to password1, nobody will ever guess that.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Change it to password1, nobody will ever guess that.

Thanks.  I also left my Bank of Scotland debit card at the Wetherspoons in Dundee.

Whoever finds it - I hope they don't find out that my pin number is 2512 or that could cause real problems for me.

I was relieved of my cash long before it was trendy and pesky foreigners were at it 

The year was 2002 and I opened my paper bank statement (We didn't have banking apps then) to find £250 to O2.

As i was with Orange at that time the payment stuck out like a sore thumb.

I phoned my bank, O2 and the police to deal with this matter.

The bank just gave me the amount taken as an overdraft until they could deal with the matter. I believe it took around 3 months.

Given the crime was pretty rare in those days i was hoping for some advice and information on how it had came about but I got no feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one... not even sure if it's fraud or not. 

Had a phone call from a withheld number yesterday. When I answered, the Scottish chap said...

"Hello. Is this Cardinal Richelieu?" ... (obviously, he said my real name. My real name isn't as common as John Smith, but is more common than Xavier D. Mongoose).

"Yes. What's the problem?"

"Well, this might sound a bit odd, but are you in Lithuania at the moment?"

"No. But I was a few months ago". 

"Have you lost your passport?"

"No. But I did lose my tablet". 

What followed was several minutes of seemingly crossed wires. I was in Lithuania a few months ago and lost my tablet. Seemingly, another person sharing my name is currently in Lithuania and has lost his passport. For some reason, the police have my phone number and decided to phone me about it. 

I still have my passport. I'm struggling who even could be committing fraud, even if fraud has been committed. Was it the guy claiming to be the police? Or some shady Lithuanian mafioso?

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 23:59, Kennboy1978 said:

Someone used my Paypal account to the tune of £600 for a weekend in Amsterdam and a Dr Dre pill speaker on the Argos eBay outlet.

Paypal notified me (via email) that they believed a couple of fraudulent transactions were made using my account. All was fine eventually but the money came out of my bank into Paypal and was put on hold. Instead of being refunded straight away I had to wait until the hold was lifted and only then could I withdraw the money myself.

I had a receipt from eBay (via Paypal) with a transaction number, phone number and the address (a flat in London) that was going to be used to send the speaker to.

I phoned the Police and contacted eBay but neither were bothered. Their answer was basically "Well you got your money back, what's the problem ?"

I am well aware I am not the only person to be scammed but I had an address. I don't know whether this flat would have been routinely used or if were they just testing the water before booking the trip to Amsterdam.

If they were going to Amsterdam, it was probably a good idea to test the water...

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:12, Cyclizine said:

Santander send out fraud texts that read like phishing attempts - I ended up phoning them to double check. I reckon the RBS cash machine in Huntly got compromised since it was the day after I'd used it.

Turned out someone had bought a load of train tickets from Swindon, some mobile top ups and spent just over £300 online shopping at Asda.

Got all the money back and even better, because it was the first time I had apparently online shopping at Asda I got £30 cashback, so actually made a profit on the whole scam.

:lol:

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:24, Fullerene said:

Thanks.  I also left my Bank of Scotland debit card at the Wetherspoons in Dundee.

Whoever finds it - I hope they don't find out that my pin number is 2512 or that could cause real problems for me.

Mods, please.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Here's one... not even sure if it's fraud or not. 

Had a phone call from a withheld number yesterday. When I answered, the Scottish chap said...

"Hello. Is this Cardinal Richelieu?" ... (obviously, he said my real name. My real name isn't as common as John Smith, but is more common than Xavier D. Mongoose).

"Yes. What's the problem?"

"Well, this might sound a bit odd, but are you in Lithuania at the moment?"

"No. But I was a few months ago". 

"Have you lost your passport?"

"No. But I did lose my tablet". 

What followed was several minutes of seemingly crossed wires. I was in Lithuania a few months ago and lost my tablet. Seemingly, another person sharing my name is currently in Lithuania and has lost his passport. For some reason, the police have my phone number and decided to phone me about it. 

I still have my passport. I'm struggling who even could be committing fraud, even if fraud has been committed. Was it the guy claiming to be the police? Or some shady Lithuanian mafioso?

^^^ And they made His Eminence a moderator?

On 8/13/2017 at 08:00, Harry Kinnear said:

I've never been scammed but maybe it's down to the fact that I don't have a bank card or online banking.

I have a bank book and have to go into the bank to get cash. I'm actually starving at the moment as I don't have any money for food and I forgot to go yesterday morning before they closed.

Still I only have to wait until 09.30am tomorrow morning until they open. It will be good for my waist line and I can sleep safe in the knowledge that I haven't been scammed. That's if the hunger pains don't keep me awake.

OFTW IMO

Fraudsters down in London were taking cheap wine and chocolates to peoples doors and saying someone had sent them a gift.  Then they were asking for people to "verify their identity" using their debit card.  Contactless machines were involved in this scam (no idea how they got the card close enough to the machine) and they were taking £30 from every gullible door for what was probably £7 of wine/chocolate.

You might think this is daft due to the small profit but if you get 200 people per day to bite then you are up at least £4k.  Women (and Shawfield Shed Boy) will of course bite.

18 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Fraudsters down in London were taking cheap wine and chocolates to peoples doors and saying someone had sent them a gift.  Then they were asking for people to "verify their identity" using their debit card.  Contactless machines were involved in this scam (no idea how they got the card close enough to the machine) and they were taking £30 from every gullible door for what was probably £7 of wine/chocolate.

You might think this is daft due to the small profit but if you get 200 people per day to bite then you are up at least £4k.  Women (and Shawfield Shed Boy) will of course bite.

Presumably they asked the mugs to tap their cards on a handheld machine? Any links to this, I've still got some unwanted biscuit tins since Christmas.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Presumably they asked the mugs to tap their cards on a handheld machine? Any links to this, I've still got some unwanted biscuit tins since Christmas.

You would hope that it wouldn't be that as surely people would realise that was a bad idea?  Although you will get mugs whatever way I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

You would hope that it wouldn't be that as surely people would realise that was a bad idea?  Although you will get mugs whatever way I suppose.

Wearing a badge and offering free chocolates and wine just before a romcom on the telly? Brilliant scam.

Archived