Big Wheel -vs- Bigger Rock - S6E1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we worked very hard for the point in the end and based on the effort and determination we just about deserved it.

Wilson was better today but we could do with more of those passes... :rolleyes:

Similar to last week really. Solid in defence, sitting a tad deep in the last 10 mins, 'keeper still a bit of a bombscare but he done well today. He was slightly better than last week imo though. My biggest concern is how quickly Nade tired. After 60 mins her looked done and it's not like he hasn't had a full pre season and run of games for match fitness. Stewart was again awful - possibly marginally better than last week. But we badly need another target man in. Could do with another 2 strikers I'd say but that will never happen.

Falkirk were pretty toothless and unless they bring some quality they won't be anywhere near the title challenge.

this game summed up our problems and how to counter them. for 75 minutes we took a touch then played backwards or sideways, Austin hardly got a look in, hippo did brilliant leading to the penalty and loy didn't look fit, the service to the front line was terrible. midfield were constantly playing into a packed middle as we have no width or overlapping from luca or Gallagher. we were slow and negative despite having class players up front.

the last 15 minutes with harris and o'hara actually running at defenders and looking to go forward we looked dangerous and had plenty chances to win the game. we are so much better when we pass forward quickly to guys making runs and have players try and go past defenders. play like this and we can match or better anyone in this league, play the sideways passing game and we'd struggle in league 2. this season could come down to whether Houston has it in him to get his team playing positively from the start rather than a not to lose mentality.

(the lack of natural or experienced fullbacks is our biggest concern in my opinion)

Lots of Falkirk fans highlighting how big a difference it made when they made subs. I reckon it was only 50% the subs and the other half was that we were tiring badly, thus ended up sitting deeper and deeper. From an hour in Nade was so knackered we had almost no out ball and every time we looked to move forward we needlessly gave the ball away which just aided Falkirk.

Doesnt matter how deep you sit in, Mark Kerr is still deeply afraid of running towards the opposition goal. Once he goes, we change, but whats worst about it is if you go back to any of our match threads from last season you will see this EXACT conversation happening.

The bottom line is Mark Kerr is now at best a last 10 minutes bit part player. Bring him on when we are 2 up to close out the game and that's it.

As you say this was being said last season and if Houston can't see it then we have serious problems.

Nade tiring is a concern and it did seem he motioned to Stevie but for him to then not be withdrawn was weird.

Scott Gallagher today did have a few iffy moments but he made at least three very decent saves and kept us in it, and hopefully that improves his confidence and that of the defence in front of him.

I thought Dumbarton looked hopeless to be honest, scored a peach of a goal and had a good shape but there was next to no footballing ability there. Nade looks done and Stewart plays like a 45 year old. Player like Hutton and Carswell in the middle speak volumes.

I cannot emphasise enough how much Kerr hurts our team. McKee and Taiwo need to do an additional 50% running to cover the ground he can't move across. Hippolyte and Loy end up 20 yards further back because Kerr is sitting between the two centre backs pointing leaving a massive gap in the middle when we haven't got the ball. Austin can't get the defenders turned because our play slows down to the point our opposition gets two banks of four behind the ball before we can cross the halfway line.

We should've won that game with the chances we missed but there's no need for us to play for an hour before we get eleven men on the park. I honestly think with Sibbald in for Kerr we'll be alright.

A word on Gasparotto too - he's a pantomime villain for me but I thought he acquitted himself well today. Never a full back in a million years but God bless him he tried his best.

Bitter much?

Yeah nade stamina is an issue but I thought in spells today he won battle in air and a few decent knock ons but Stewart didn't pick up position. I only thought one dodgy mis communication from Gallagher in first half and late onsome good saves/ handling .

3 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

Yeah nade stamina is an issue but I thought in spells today he won battle in air and a few decent knock ons but Stewart didn't pick up position. I only thought one dodgy mis communication from Gallagher in first half and late onsome good saves/ handling .

He did win some good battles in the air. That's why I think we need someone else to move off him. Maybe Handling could help that!

Gallagher had one in the first half and then in second when Austin got in behind and he should have came and collected but he was better than last week.

Another decent point but taking Roy, our most threatening player, off for Carswell instead of Stewart or a tired Nade was very puzzling and frustrating.   I actually think we made those last 15 minutes harder for ourselves after that as any time the ball was hit up the park Falkirk just came right back with it.  Not the first time Aitken has made baffling subs and I doubt it'll be the last.  Thankfully it didn't end up costing us.

Wilson had a much better game this week - beautiful assist.  Hopefully a bit of consistency will see him iron out some of the mistakes he's prone to making.  Another solid performance from big Mango Barr too and Gallagher pulled off some good saves despite still looking a little shaky.  Tom Walsh was once again anonymous in both attack and defence and is exactly the same as he was during his last spell with us - get him papped out and let Gallagher or Johnston have a run on the wing.

Really, really need a striker.  Hopefully this week our prayers will be answered.

6 minutes ago, sonsism said:

Another decent point but taking Roy, our most threatening player, off for Carswell instead of Stewart or a tired Nade was very puzzling and frustrating.   I actually think we made those last 15 minutes harder for ourselves after that as any time the ball was hit up the park Falkirk just came right back with it.  Not the first time Aitken has made baffling subs and I doubt it'll be the last.  Thankfully it didn't end up costing us.

Wilson had a much better game this week - beautiful assist.  Hopefully a bit of consistency will see him iron out some of the mistakes he's prone to making.  Another solid performance from big Mango Barr too and Gallagher pulled off some good saves despite still looking a little shaky.  Tom Walsh was once again anonymous in both attack and defence and is exactly the same as he was during his last spell with us - get him papped out and let Gallagher or Johnston have a run on the wing.

Really, really need a striker.  Hopefully this week our prayers will be answered.

To be fair to Aitken I think Roy was done at that point. He could hardly walk back into the park at FT. With the amount of running he does he might never last the 90. I agree Stewart and Nade weren't in the game but I understand it.

Walsh is a bit of a luxury to have as he isn't in games enough. Far too much like Willie Gibson so far this season. Hopefully he will come good though. Not convinced either of the other options we have are any better - and neither is the management team by the looks of things.

To be fair to Aitken I think Roy was done at that point. He could hardly walk back into the park at FT. With the amount of running he does he might never last the 90. I agree Stewart and Nade weren't in the game but I understand it.
Walsh is a bit of a luxury to have as he isn't in games enough. Far too much like Willie Gibson so far this season. Hopefully he will come good though. Not convinced either of the other options we have are any better - and neither is the management team by the looks of things.

You're right. As much as I think he will be very useful, I don't think his fitness is quite there. Said it last week just after the hour mark when he chased mortons Doyle back... couldn't get near him despite tearing him a new one with sheer pace in the first half.

3 hours ago, Oscar P said:

Terrible first half performance. Playing two defensive midfielders was unbelievable.

Austin cannot hold the ball upfront on his own.

Improvement after going 4-4-2 after the interval, but still very laboured.

Our defence looks nervous under any pressure at all.

Hippolyte our best but Barr was the outstanding player on the pitch, we could do with someone like him.

re - Austin.

Big Nathan Austin excels on the counter attack, play him a ball into a bit of space, he'll finish most of the time & punish the opposition.

Did it to us a couple of years ago in the Cup @ Methil.

Big threat 'on the break' every time.

18 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

re - Austin.

Big Nathan Austin excels on the counter attack, play him a ball into a bit of space, he'll finish most of the time & punish the opposition.

Did it to us a couple of years ago in the Cup @ Methil.

Big threat 'on the break' every time.

he had three one on one chances against a bunch of uber diddies & missed them all..its like drawing with boness united

7 hours ago, distresseduke said:

he had three one on one chances against a bunch of uber diddies & missed them all..its like drawing with boness united

:) We'll take the big chap off your hands, he'd do well for us with our better coaching.

Pleased with a point yesterday...looks like we'll be hard to beat with a really strong defence this season...concern is where are the goals going to come from

My motm was Wilson..didn't really show up on the highlights, but really solid performance

Great goal from young Roy too

Archived