Big Wheel -vs- Bigger Rock - S6E1

24 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I thought Dumbarton looked hopeless to be honest, scored a peach of a goal and had a good shape but there was next to no footballing ability there. Nade looks done and Stewart plays like a 45 year old. Player like Hutton and Carswell in the middle speak volumes.

I cannot emphasise enough how much Kerr hurts our team. McKee and Taiwo need to do an additional 50% running to cover the ground he can't move across. Hippolyte and Loy end up 20 yards further back because Kerr is sitting between the two centre backs pointing leaving a massive gap in the middle when we haven't got the ball. Austin can't get the defenders turned because our play slows down to the point our opposition gets two banks of four behind the ball before we can cross the halfway line.

We should've won that game with the chances we missed but there's no need for us to play for an hour before we get eleven men on the park. I honestly think with Sibbald in for Kerr we'll be alright.

A word on Gasparotto too - he's a pantomime villain for me but I thought he acquitted himself well today. Never a full back in a million years but God bless him he tried his best.

Love it.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Sorry will delete the part of my post where I said he played today.

Considering it has utterly zero relevance to today's game even mentioning the fact Hutton is a Dumbarton player (signed due to injuries during the League Cup) is a bit of a minter tbqhwy.

Grasping at straws for things to dig up to make us sound bad IMO.

i thought Harris vastly improved us when he came on, he also didnt hide out on the wing, he was involved in most of our attacking moves in the last twenty, also ohara looked decent.

but to leave it until the last twenty to makes these changes was criminal it was obvious we had nothig on the right before a ball was kicked and loy was unfit. its like he is deliberately trying to f*ck us of when he selects his team.

hippo sibbs taiwo harris for me against the fifers.

Considering it has utterly zero relevance to today's game even mentioning the fact Hutton is a Dumbarton player (signed due to injuries during the League Cup) is a bit of a minter tbqhwy.
Grasping at straws for things to dig up to make us sound bad IMO.

Why would I want to make Dumbarton "sound bad"?

I thought Dumbarton looked hopeless to be honest, scored a peach of a goal and had a good shape but there was next to no footballing ability there. Nade looks done and Stewart plays like a 45 year old. Player like Hutton and Carswell in the middle speak volumes.

Trust me this isn't a sour grapes thing whereby 'you're slagged is so I'll slag your team' but I thought Falkirk were largely hopeless too. Utterly toothless for the most part with just tippy-tappying about the first two thirds of the pitch with little penetration (ooh err) until the last 10-15 minutes. We had a clearly visible game-plan, sit-in, hit on the break and keep it tight. I can't say I can identify what Falkirk's game plan was, such was their ineffectiveness.

The penalty was a stonewaller, stupid from Mark Stewart, a typical forward's tackle. That said it was good to finally get a decision from the referee with a few minutes left having been on the end of a few baffling calls prior.

Hippolyte for me was the only player for Falkirk who looked remotely dangerous. For us Wilson's pass was delicious, Roy's finish good and he was a threat throughout with his pace. Barr, Hill and Dowie were solid at the back too. We could've nicked it at the end with Johnston and Stewart but a draw was fair I'd say. Falkirk puffed and were utterly ineffective for the most part and we set up not to lose and keep it tight. Points all round fair at the end.

Terrible first half performance. Playing two defensive midfielders was unbelievable.

Austin cannot hold the ball upfront on his own.

Improvement after going 4-4-2 after the interval, but still very laboured.

Our defence looks nervous under any pressure at all.

Hippolyte our best but Barr was the outstanding player on the pitch, we could do with someone like him.

Improvement after going 4-4-2 after the interval, but still very laboured.

Erm....we played 4-4-2 the full game. Even with our subs the personnel changed but we never changed shape throughout.

1 minute ago, Russ said:

Erm....we played 4-4-2 the full game. Even with our subs the personnel changed but we never changed shape throughout.

Have to disagree, Loy didn't play as far forward in the first half.

4 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

Have to disagree, Loy didn't play as far forward in the first half.

Aye, what was that all about? I've always been a fan of Loy, but was almost playing as an advanced centre-mid for much of the game today. 

Grim viewing that. As everyone has said, we looked brutally slow for the first 70 minutes or so and while we rallied later on once Kerr and Loy went off, by that time Dumbarton had settled into their defensive side and were well worth the point.
Gallacher looks nervous on the ball and takes the conservative option each time he has it. Really hope he gains some confidence and can start pushing forward as the season goes on.
Pass marks for Taiwo, Luca and Hippo. Everyone else gets a big meh from me.

Archived