Big Wheel -vs- Bigger Rock - S6E1

First of all I'd like to thank Livingston for taking Falkirk to extra-time last night. Most appreciated.

I can't really see us taking anything here, but a decent performance and possibly a point would do me just fine. It would be nice to have another striker signed up, and hopefully Handling will be back fit to come into the side.

I'd like to see us go with something like this:

Scott Gallacher

Sam Wardrop Andy Dowie Dougie Hill Chris McLaughlin

Craig Barr David Wilson

Tom Walsh Danny Handling Ally Roy

Christian Nadé

I suspect Mark Stewart will start however, so here's hoping that playing against his old team will finally fire him into life, and cause another seething Houston post-match meltdown.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's Tom Walsh like? Are Dumbarton fans happy with how the team fits together?

I think we need a jolt in the team and a couple of changes could do that for us. I don't think that Loy or Gasparotto look fit enough to start this one and the short break before East End park might do them a bit of good. Kerr playing 120 minutes 3 days after playing 90 probably precludes him from taking part much.

Taiwo and McKee are our best CM pairing on paper and I think that the midfield 4 can work if we play the ball on the deck a bit more, more aimless punts for 90 minutes will cause me to be grumpy on the internet.

Houston said in his interview that the youth players aren't ready which is his call but I don't see too much of an option at RB if Luca is unfit than Finlayson. Going 3 at the back maybe but I think we'll line up 442 most of the season so I think we'd be better served by sticking to our system but being more tactically aware and trying to play football.

Thompson

Finlayson Grant Watson Gallacher

Harris McKee (if fit)/Blues Taiwo Hippolyte

Austin O'Hara

Subs: Mitchell, Gasparotto, Henderson (if fit), Blues/McKee, Craigen, Loy (if fit!)/ Shepherd, Miller

55 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

First of all I'd like to thank Livingston for taking Falkirk to extra-time last night. Most appreciated.

I can't really see us taking anything here, but a decent performance and possibly a point would do me just fine. It would be nice to have another striker signed up, and hopefully Handling will be back fit to come into the side.

I'd like to see us go with something like this:

Scott Gallacher

Sam Wardrop Andy Dowie Dougie Hill Chris McLaughlin

Craig Barr David Wilson

Tom Walsh Danny Handling Ally Roy

Christian Nadé

I suspect Mark Stewart will start however, so here's hoping that playing against his old team will finally fire him into life, and cause another seething Houston post-match meltdown.

I'd prefer Carswell in place of Wilson but no point rushing him back from his injury, I just hope he's not too far away. Aside from one or two hairy moments on Saturday (mainly down to indecisiveness from Scott Gallacher) we defended well, so agree that no changes there makes sense, even if dropping Davie Smith seemed harsh last week. You'd hope that Handling will offer us more creativity than Stewart, but I tend to agree that Stewart will probably start despite doing not very much to deserve it. With Falkirk having clear issues at full back (on both sides?) I hope that Roy can continue to cause problems down the left and we know Walsh is capable of doing damage, even if he hasn't quite got going yet. How about something like this;

Gallacher

Wardrop -- Dowie -- Hill -- McLaughlin

Barr

Walsh -- Handling -- Roy

Stewart -- Nade

It's attacking, I know, but if Barr just sits there and smashes folk like he did last Saturday, and also drops back to basically make a back 5 when we're attacking, it might be okay. It seems the only conceivable way to get both Stewart and Handling into the team (alternatively just drop Stewart as is deserved). 

Anyway, given that Falkirk fans seem unhappy with Housty, how about you let us have a cheeky wee 2-0 win and get the big man the sack?

Obviously we need an absolutely massive improvement from the last couple of games to be able to take something here but I just don't think that's something we're going to be capable of.

After last nights mess of a team selection it's hard to predict how we'll line-up here but I imagine it will again be Gasparotto at right-back and I would be surprised if he didn't go back to 4-4-2 bit that means either starting a half fit Loy and playing Miller and hoofing the ball up to him at any opportunity. Or worse still playing Shepherd.

Thomson

Finlayson
Gasparotto
Watson
Grant
Gallacher

McKee
Taiwo
Craigen

Austin
Hippolyte

Mitchell, Henderson, Kerr, Harris, O'Hara, Loy, Blues

That's how I'd like to us go. Not ideal but with 3 centre backs that really does make the most sense to play a back 3 and let's see what Finlayson is capable of.

I can't really see us taking anything here

I think you'll be surprised at how poor we'll be. Attack our 'full-backs' and you'll get plenty of joy.

10 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

What's Tom Walsh like? Are Dumbarton fans happy with how the team fits together?

Tom Walsh is your standard winger - when he's playing well he can be too good for anyone on the park but you rarely see that at a consistent level - pretty much why he's playing for Dumbarton. He hasn't really made much of an impact so far. He's very timid as well, needs to get a bit nastier for me. Our team still hasn't really been "fitted together" we've been more throwing whoever's fit onto the park and hoping they do well, hence Craig Barr currently playing midfield and Dougie Hill (a signing we were basically forced into making at the time) covering Barr's position at the back. I think we have 3 centre mids out this week (Gallagher who is long term, Carswell and Hutton). I tend to agree with S08 that we'll still be doing well to get anything from the game, despite Falkirk fans telling us how shite they are.

With Falkirk having clear issues at full back (on both sides?)

Aye both our first team right backs (Muirhead and Kidd) are unavailable we've got a right back in our under 20s squad but I don't think Houston really rates him so if he's fit it will probably be Luca Gasparotto at right-back again who himself is carrying a knock and doesn't seem fit enough.

At left-back it will be Tony Gallacher who made his debut in our defeat at the Rock around Christmas time last year. He's only just turned 18 so don't want to be too critical but he's been getting hyped up a lot over the last couple of years but he's yet to show much promise in the first team yet. Looks like if anyone just runs at him he starts to panic and gets a bit all over the place. 4 of the 5 goals we've conceded this week have came from cross balls from our left side.

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

Aye both our first team right backs (Muirhead and Kidd) are unavailable we've got a right back in our under 20s squad but I don't think Houston really rates him so if he's fit it will probably be Luca Gasparotto at right-back again who himself is carrying a knock and doesn't seem fit enough.

At left-back it will be Tony Gallacher who made his debut in our defeat at the Rock around Christmas time last year. He's only just turned 18 so don't want to be too critical but he's been getting hyped up a lot over the last couple of years but he's yet to show much promise in the first team yet. Looks like if anyone just runs at him he starts to panic and gets a bit all over the place. 4 of the 5 goals we've conceded this week have came from cross balls from our left side.

I thought right back was an issue, aye. Ally Roy has probably been our brightest attacking signing so far. His final ball has been poor but his pace caused Morton some issues last week and if he had a bit of composure he would've had a goal too. I would hope if he is playing against Gasparotto that he could run him all day but needs to make better decisions in the final third. Walsh will be up against Gallacher and has an excellent delivery. It seems clear to me where we get something from this game, I just hope Stevie Aitken has had you watched.

I thought right back was an issue, aye. Ally Roy has probably been our brightest attacking signing so far. His final ball has been poor but his pace caused Morton some issues last week and if he had a bit of composure he would've had a goal too. I would hope if he is playing against Gasparotto that he could run him all day but needs to make better decisions in the final third. Walsh will be up against Gallacher and has an excellent delivery. It seems clear to me where we get something from this game, I just hope Stevie Aitken has had you watched.

If Stevie and Durrant can coach an end product out of Ally Roy he looks like he could be a big positive for this season.

Let's hope he starts delivering on Saturday, wouldn't mind seeing a Housty Headsplosion!

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Tom Walsh is your standard winger - when he's playing well he can be too good for anyone on the park but you rarely see that at a consistent level - pretty much why he's playing for Dumbarton. He hasn't really made much of an impact so far. He's very timid as well, needs to get a bit nastier for me. Our team still hasn't really been "fitted together" we've been more throwing whoever's fit onto the park and hoping they do well, hence Craig Barr currently playing midfield and Dougie Hill (a signing we were basically forced into making at the time) covering Barr's position at the back. I think we have 3 centre mids out this week (Gallagher who is long term, Carswell and Hutton). I tend to agree with S08 that we'll still be doing well to get anything from the game, despite Falkirk fans telling us how shite they are.

Aye they're still dangerous enough to score a goal, clip the top of our bar from a free kick, and have two goal bound shots cleared off our line, I wouldn't take too much notice of their chat. Come the end of the season they'll still be one of the teams in the top 4 spots.

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Fecks sake is Dougie Hill back playing at this level. He looked shot at Raith Rovers a few years back never mind now.

Well that is absolute bullshit. A great servant to the Rovers and never looked even remotely 'shot'.  He still looked far from shot when he helped relegate us last season. A very good signing for Dumbarton imo. 

19 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye they're still dangerous enough to score a goal, clip the top of our bar from a free kick, and have two goal bound shots cleared off our line, I wouldn't take too much notice of their chat. Come the end of the season they'll still be one of the teams in the top 4 spots.

:lol:

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Actually, that's a very good point considering how shit we played on the night.

7 hours ago, Russ said:

Obviously we need an absolutely massive improvement from the last couple of games to be able to take something here but I just don't think that's something we're going to be capable of.

After last nights mess of a team selection it's hard to predict how we'll line-up here but I imagine it will again be Gasparotto at right-back and I would be surprised if he didn't go back to 4-4-2 bit that means either starting a half fit Loy and playing Miller and hoofing the ball up to him at any opportunity. Or worse still playing Shepherd.

Thomson

Finlayson
Gasparotto
Watson
Grant
Gallacher

McKee
Taiwo
Craigen

Austin
Hippolyte

Mitchell, Henderson, Kerr, Harris, O'Hara, Loy, Blues

That's how I'd like to us go. Not ideal but with 3 centre backs that really does make the most sense to play a back 3 and let's see what Finlayson is capable of.

I think you'll be surprised at how poor we'll be. Attack our 'full-backs' and you'll get plenty of joy.

Given the available players (if these ones are) that's exactly how I would go. Zero chance of it happening though!

To be honest that just tells you that whilst we were dogshit last night Livingston were nothing special either.

Archived