Rotterdam. Is it worth a visit?

Sarge Bullman

As the title says. I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times now and, whilst I think its a great place, I was thinking about a wee jaunt to Rotterdam as a different city-break alternative.

What do my fellow bovrilers think? I'll be going with the other half and my son btw so it wont be a ganja and clunge fest.

Was there about 2 weeks ago watching the Scotland Women, thought the cube houses were incredible. Also de Kuip if you can get away from the missus for a couple of hours. Oude Haven (Old Harbour) right next to the cube houses. Under an hour by train from Amsterdam anyway.

https://scottishfootballgroundswordpresscom.wordpress.com/2017/07/25/womens-euro-2017-part-2-rotterdam/

https://scottishfootballgroundswordpresscom.wordpress.com/2017/08/03/womens-euro-2017-part-3-deventer/

12 hours ago, Sarge Bullman said:

As the title says. I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times now and, whilst I think its a great place, I was thinking about a wee jaunt to Rotterdam as a different city-break alternative.

What do my fellow bovrilers think? I'll be going with the other half and my son btw so it wont be a ganja and clunge fest.

Take the boat trip round the docks, the scale of it is spectacular, as is some of the architecture. Fine place for a short break, more of a working town and not as hectic as Amsterdam.

26 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Well worth a visit, but I'll second whereismillar in saying Utrecht is an absolute treat.

Agreed, but it's very like Amsterdam, albeit a miniature laid back version without the tourists.

Just now, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Very much - quieter, less sleazy and almost picture postcard in many ways.

When I was there the whores were all on barges on the edge of town, you had to conspicuously do a walk of shame across a bridge to window shop. My niece who I was visiting while she worked in Utrecht took me past them on a cycle tour. I was tempted to tell her to wait for Uncle Welshbairn in a cafe down the road, but I'm not that sleazy.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

When I was there the whores were all on barges on the edge of town, you had to conspicuously do a walk of shame across a bridge to window shop. My niece who I was visiting while she worked in Utrecht took me past them on a cycle tour. I was tempted to tell her to wait for Uncle Welshbairn in a cafe down the road, but I'm not that sleazy.

I worked out there for a few months back in 2000 and a certain person (who I'll call Don), took the walk of shame and got to the door of the barge, only for the lady to look him up and down, shake her head and close the door again.

We, of course, didn't p1sh ourselves laughing.

Opposed to Amsterdam, we went to Haarlem the other week. About fifteen minutes away by train. Lovely little city, basically Amsterdam without the tourists. Found a beer shop that had over 1600 different types. Numerous little bars etc. Really nice place.

Rotterdam is the only place I've seen with urinals in the middle of the street. Genuinely guys just whacking their apparatus oot for a pish in the middle of a crowded pedestrianised area. 

Having said that, lovely place. Haarlem is really nice too as LondonHMFC has said. 

So Rotterdam is good but Utrecht and Haarlem are better? 

I thought the complete contrast with Amsterdam might be quite interesting to see in Rotterdam. That's why i'm erring towards there rather than mini-Amsterdam's like Utrecht and Haarlem. 

Any recommended family attractions?

Rotterdam was hammered by both sides during WW2, so most of the buildings are modern, especially near the docks. Some people looking for another Amsterdam are disappointed. Frankly I was delighted by not seeing yet another pretty fucking canal. Haven't been with kids, but here's some ideas.

http://travelwithbender.com/travel-blog/netherlands/7-things-do-rotterdam-netherlands

P.S. They might find it fun to stay in a Cube House, mentioned above.

https://www.stayokay.com/en/hostel/rotterdam

Archived