Queen's Park Vs Albion Rovers

Where to start with this shambles?  Possibly the worst defensive display I have ever seen from a Queen's Park team.  Frightening.  Big Wharton must have been secretly delighted that he was off the park in the second half.

Rovers started off looking a fiasco at the back and our deflected early goal had me thinking that we would coast it.

FFS....what followed was an out and out disaster; totally unacceptable.  Gus has his work cut out to get us back on track.  Motherwell Colts on Wednesday now looking to be more of a challenge than I had anticipated....and then away to Alloa on Saturday - hardly an easy one.

Good points from Saturday...Wullie Muir saved us from an ever greater drubbing; ironically, Wharton was actually playing well until his blunder; they had Belhaven's Scottish Ale in bottles back in the social club.  Not much to be happy about.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dreadful performance. In the pub discussing it afterwards and could only think of a handful of times we have defended so poorly over the years.

We started fairly well and as HD says above, I thought we would have been on our way after Burns goal to give us the lead. Everything that happened afterward however, was an utter disaster.

For me, Cummins was every bit as good as McGeever last season and the fact he was on the bench while Wharton and Kevin Green were starting is staggering. I thought Green played okay last week up at Arbroath so hopefully he can turn it around. As for Wharton, another dreadful mistake to add to a list as long as my arm. Still capable of the occasional great display but errors like that happen far too often when the big man is concerned.

Concerning performances all over the park sadly. The midfield two of David Green and Docherty got an absolute chasing once Rovers got the ball down and started playing at 0-1. Anton Brady was fairly anonymous and Davie Galt kept getting lost up blind alleys after passing up the chance to retain possession with a five yard pass. Millen and Burns have been panned at length but I don't think they were anywhere near the worst on show.

Massive improvement required starting at Alloa on Saturday (couldn't give a monkeys about Wednesday). Would definitely get Orr in the team as the starting striker and persist with Duff who looked decent enough in spells. Fotheringham should be in the team if fit as well.

I'd just like to recommend the above video highlights to all connoisseurs of clown car defending. Albion Rover's fourth goal in particular demands attention with its surprisingly sudden fruity bouquet, although there is a lingeringly bitter after taste.

Remarkably the second half shambles didn't provoke anger where I was sitting (the posh seats), but rather a sort of hysterical hilarity with one wag comparing our defence to the Keystone Cops.

The interview with Gus is slightly disappointing as he blames it all on individual errors. I thought that he would have acknowledged that having only one recognised central defender in our back three for the whole second half contributed to our problems. Orr's goal looks great though. Surely he must be our first choice striker for the next game.

Congrats to the Rovers for taking full advantage of Queen's ineptitude. I enjoyed the chorus of "We can see you sneaking out" from your fans. One of the highlights of the afternoon. I stayed to the bitter, bitter end, mainly to see who would get the Man of The Match award. I was astonished that it wasn't withheld.

Pip pip!

1 hour ago, Spidersmad said:

The interview with Gus is slightly disappointing as he blames it all on individual errors. I thought that he would have acknowledged that having only one recognised central defender in our back three for the whole second half contributed to our problems.

Sorry, but I think I have to agree with Gus; we could have had ten recognised defenders, but I would say that the nature of the mistakes we made probably wouldn't have been covered up by another man. 

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 22:04, bridgeofweirdo said:

10 minutes earlier he got the best applause of the whole day for a series of great tackles --- trouble is when he makes a mistake as the last man it can result in a goal whereas poor performances elsewhere dont !. Knee jerk reaction taking him off at half time imo.

OK, I may have been a wee bit tired and emotional when I posted that on Saturday night but I just find him very frustrating. I praised him – as most of us did - after his excellent performances against Morton and Edinburgh City. Just when you think he’s getting back to his best he goes and makes daft errors against Berwick and Rovers that lead to goals.

We desperately need Millen back at right wing back ASAP. We were exposed time and time againt down that side in the first half on Saturday, it was surprising it took them as long as 40 minutes to score.

I’d also give Ryan Docherty another shot at the back – hard to judge him on 1 game against a Premiership side.  I fully expect Cummins to be back in for Alloa, I would think anybody not involved last Saturday will be thinking they deserve a game now tbh

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 23:46, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Has to be Duff and Orr next week. Sorry Mick, young MacPherson just hasn't got it yet and his Dad would serve him better with a year at EK or similiar.

To be fair, I did say in my post about him that he wouldn't be my first choice, I was just disagreeing with the poster who said he "hasn't shown anything"  

Orr back in from the start for me as well, although I'm willing to bet that Gus is trying to get someone on loan before the end of the month  

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Sorry, but I think I have to agree with Gus; we could have had ten recognised defenders, but I would say that the nature of the mistakes we made probably wouldn't have been covered up by another man. 

You wouldn't start a game with a back three of Millen, Green and Burns, so why opt for that selection for the second half? Maybe it wouldn't have made much difference to the kamikaze performance, but then again ...

Agree with Mick1867 re Millen at right wing back. Having Galt there during the first half didn't work well.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

HD - no-one is suggesting that individual errors weren't the main factor in our defeat, but I still think Gus has some culpability here and would have liked to see him take his fair share of the blame for his high risk second half strategy when we were only a goal behind at the interval. Players ain't daft, and whilst they will recognise that by and large the goals conceded were down to individual errors, in truth the scoreline flattered us and 'Rovers could have bagged a few more. By Gus not accepting some responsibility he risks alienating himself from the players, whereas an "we're all in this together" approach would keep them onside. There were a lot on onfield squabbles on Saturday (Brady, David Green, Burns and Millen most notably doing a lot of finger-pointing) so I doubt it was a harmonious environment afterwards, so this is going to be a good test of his man-management skills, and having the trust of his players will be paramount.

4 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

To be fair, I did say in my post about him that he wouldn't be my first choice, I was just disagreeing with the poster who said he "hasn't shown anything"  

Orr back in from the start for me as well, although I'm willing to bet that Gus is trying to get someone on loan before the end of the month  

Is that one of those 'advanced knowledge' bets or a measured punt? After Saturday he must be rethinking a few things. Wullie Muir seems to be the only safe hands at the moment, literally and metaphorically.

Archived