How does your partner respond to you going to the football?

Mrs Romeo doesn't really bother about me going to the football, I'm sure she enjoys the peace and quite. I stopped going to away games about 4 or 5 seasons ago but still go to all the home league and cup games.

However, if we have been invited to a do, or she wants to visit friends my first response is to ask her to "check the fixtures", even if it's an away game on the telly I am not keen on missing it and will request that we find somewhere to watch it.  This is when she generally loses the plot or goes in a huff. She seems to think going to the football is a take it or leave it thing and doesn't respond well to my explanation about the years and cash I have invested in following my team.

She will also say really stupid stuff if there is a live game on.."record it and watch it later" or "just don't check the scores".

So, how does you significant other respond to your football attendance? Do they go full "heads gone" or are they understanding?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mrs is pretty understanding, I made it pretty clear early on that I was a ST holder and didn't intend on changing that despite living in Edinburgh.

She very occasionally gets a bit put out with it but generally she's fine. If she's trying to organise a do or someone visiting etc she generally takes initiative and checks fixtures first for me. Although semi finals/finals show up as free weekends until you qualify for them obviously so that's caused issues in the past.

Planned to go to the Highland games on arran on Saturday to stay with pals. Realised it clashed with opening game. Changed plans and went on the 6pm instead, by which point the games were completely finished. Got smashed and headed home the next morning. 

Wasn't too popular with the missus, especially when she heard there were cocktails for sale at the games. 

Other than moments like that where football get prioritised over everything else, she doesn't care. 

My girlfriend works in pub, so Saturday shifts are almost guaranteed. If she is off she usually just comes to the game, cause she does genuinely like football, the only thing that sometimes causes an issue is that we always go the the St Mirren game. She's a 'Well fan and says I owe here a few games at Fir Park. She's probably right, and I don't mind going to see her team, but it'll need to be a Sunday or mid week game when the Buds aren't playing. Same deal as a couple of other posters though, Saturday's are football days, they have been for 25 years for me and that's not going to change. I'm not saying that in a macho "She'll dae as she's telt" sort of way, just that watching St Mirren has been a big part of my life for a long time and she respects that.

Mines is fine for the most part. She understands what makes a must go to game and I understand what an important family event is. When they collide, it's quite easy to weigh up which I'm going to.

My biggest issue is this time of the year. Need to go and tell her that it's season ticket renewal time, then it's champions league qualificaton tickets, league cup tickets, CL or EL group tickets. I also go to the Scotland matches and there is always one at the beginning of September.

Probably doesn't help when Celtic are not playing and I announce that I'm taking the kids along to watch Thistle or Dumbarton playing Stranraer or some shite. That's usually when I get the look and the...much is this one going to cost you????

Fortunately he is a football fan as well so we go to games together. As he's a Dundee Utd fan, it tends to be that we'll go to say Tannadice then the next game we go to Tynecastle. Neither of us are die-hards who go to every match, we couldn't afford to be,  so its not an issue for us to miss a game one week or change it if there is a derby match on. Some of his friends are Hearts fans as well so we go together and have a good day out.

We've mainly been going to the international games recently and that's pretty good as we end up making it a weekend away usually.

Mine is fine with it generally, she assumes I'm away on a Saturday unless otherwise stated and she's happy doing her own thing - as long as I don't make a c**t of it and need a lift home or anything if I miss the train.

European away days often involve some delicate negotiation though - I expect if we ever actually fucking make the group stages then I'll get some grief.

Mrs AFJ is remarkably understanding, but my love of football was made very clear from the start.

She is quite cool with my going off to Linfield/ Northern Ireland away games and, if it is an area she fancies going to, I'll bring her along too.

Mrs wastecoat gets a holiday that i pay for,for the price of my season ticket happy compromise but gets wee digs in for European game and cup games
Me and my son go to the games so mainly she sees it as a father son day,the football widow knows the love for the game has a smaller piece of my heart than she has
so you have got to play both games

Mine is generally alright, but if she's got nothing to do when I'm going to a game I'll sometimes get the 'but you can do that any time' reaction.

Very frustrating because 1) no I can't, the football is only on at weekends and the occasional midweek, and 2) she's usually wanting someone to go to the shops or the pub with and that is something which literally can be done any day of the week.

My exes never really complained. I got the last two to go to one game and treated the second last to the winter delights of Ross County 0-0 Dundee with not a single shot on goal. She never asked to go back.

Archived