Sportscene Watch 19/20

But that was very very unlikely indeed.
It wasn't covered in case we got a shock.  It was covered because lots of people like watching the OF teams.
You really do appear to be saying the OF will need full coverage at all times just in case.  When diddy fans get this mindlessly sycophantic, we're really in trouble.
Once again, as you still appear to be missing the point, I don't think it should've been a featured game. But if there had been a shock (by definition they're always very unlikely) they would've been criticised for not giving it proper coverage.

44 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
It wasn't covered in case we got a shock.  It was covered because lots of people like watching the OF teams.
You really do appear to be saying the OF will need full coverage at all times just in case.  When diddy fans get this mindlessly sycophantic, we're really in trouble.

Once again, as you still appear to be missing the point, I don't think it should've been a featured game. But if there had been a shock (by definition they're always very unlikely) they would've been criticised for not giving it proper coverage.

An assertion you're using to justify its coverage.   

Contradictory once more.

just came on to moan about last nights sportscene, but see I've been beaten to it

my complaint was basically how poor the killie county highlights were, I know it was a pish game, but they couldn't even be bothered to spend 10 seconds showing McKenzie hitting the post in the first half, meanwhile, they had no problem finding the time to show celtic make about 20 back passes against brechin ffs

as you were

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

An assertion you're using to justify its coverage.   

Contradictory once more.

This really isn't difficult to understand.

They shouldn't pick as a "featured game" what on paper should be a Celtic walkover; however I understand their reasons why. 

Incidentally, going back further than the Arbroath game in 2012, Celtic played Dundee and Queen's Park at home in 2008/09 - neither of which were live on TV, nor featured games on Sportscene. 

In fact, I'm struggling to remember the last time a non-live Celtic Scottish Cup home game was given the amount of coverage given last night. Even the "Super Caley Go Ballistic" game was a single camera (see below), albeit it was midweek.

Which is why last night isn't really the huge disgrace people are making it out to be. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

They shouldn't pick as a "featured game" what on paper should be a Celtic walkover; however I understand their reasons why. 

Incidentally, going back further than the Arbroath game in 2012, Celtic played Dundee and Queen's Park at home in 2008/09 - neither of which were live on TV, nor featured games on Sportscene. 

In fact, I'm struggling to remember the last time a non-live Celtic Scottish Cup home game was given the amount of coverage given last night. Even the "Super Caley Go Ballistic" game was a single camera (see below), albeit it was midweek.

Which is why last night isn't really the huge disgrace people are making it out to be. 

Aberdeen  v St Mirren Cup Replay was the live commentary match on Radio Scotland on the night of Celtic v Caley tie.  The commentary changed to Celtic Park after Half Time as things were developing there. I never ever found out the Saints score that night.  Scenes in Scotland :lol:

I take it the fact we're getting an extended section on Brora tonight, due to postponed games, means they've had this footage all along and just decided to not bother with it yesterday?

We're even getting interviews with the managers tonight, I assume they only filmed them today..

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 hours ago, pandarilla said:
6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Brechin have amassed a grand total of four points in a league that (by common consent amongst those who’ve actually been subjected to it) is one of the poorest Championships in recent memory - a view surely corroborated by the fact that a dismal Queen of the South team, operating with a threadbare squad, occupy a midtable position). Celtic have lost once in 70-odd domestic games.

The infinitesimally negligible prospect of it being a competitive encounter was clearly not the reason for its prominence. A failure of imagination on the part of the BBC is much more likely than any genuine prospect of a ‘Cinderella Story.’

Edited by Frankie S

Flick back a few pages and you'll see folk getting annoyed that this was described as the one of the most David v Goliath ever. Plenty of people pointing out at the point that brechin are still a championship team.

I'd also reiterate... that a shock, by its very definition, is not expected.

18 hours ago, coprolite said:

the commentary on the short highlights annoys the hell out of me.  Why do they need to tell you what's just about to happen?  

This is my biggest hate with any highlights show ever. Yes, I get that you're just watching the clips back and reporting them rather than commentating on them live. I don't need you to pretend to be doing a live commentary, I just need you to not tell me what's about to happen at the start of a clip.

You don't have to pretend to be doing it as live to avoid saying 'they finally made the breakthrough' or 'they missed another great chance' or 'the equaliser came when...' at the start of the clip before the viewer has seen it with their own eyes. It's entirely a stylistic choice to do so and it's fucking terrible.

12 hours ago, The Master said:

Just to be clear then, what are you actually saying are the reasons why?

Are they To do with not wanting to be caught out in the event of a shock?  If that's what you're saying, then I honestly don't think you understand the reasons why at all.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Just to be clear then, what are you actually saying are the reasons why?

Are they To do with not wanting to be caught out in the event of a shock?  If that's what you're saying, then I honestly don't think you understand the reasons why at all.

No.

They do it because after the criticism over the coverage of the Arbroath game, they know they're in a no-win situation anyway.  It's the "Man Utd 0-0 Exeter" principle.

I don't believe it's coincidence that this is the first non-televised Celtic home Scottish Cup game in many years to get this level of coverage, when the last non-televised Celtic home Scottish Cup game was that draw against Arbroath. 

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Flick back a few pages and you'll see folk getting annoyed that this was described as the one of the most David v Goliath ever. Plenty of people pointing out at the point that brechin are still a championship team.

I'd also reiterate... that a shock, by its very definition, is not expected.

There were I think three posts along those lines and each was tackling the specific and clearly nonsensical commentator claim that the fixture represented the "biggest mismatch you could imagine".

Nobody however, was pretending that this wasn't a massive mismatch with a completely predictable outcome.

Why do you keep reiterating that last bit as if it's clever or insightful?  It's blindingly obvious and lends no support whatever, to your porous arguments.

This is a Sky one, but Andy Walker's 'analysis' in the Edinburgh Derby was utterly dreadful yesterday. When they were showing replays of the goal, he screamed 'the backspin has taken the ball into the net' about 4 times. Something anyone with a functioning pair of eyes could have seen for themself.

2 hours ago, The Master said:

No.

They do it because after the criticism over the coverage of the Arbroath game, they know they're in a no-win situation anyway.  It's the "Man Utd 0-0 Exeter" principle.

I don't believe it's coincidence that this is the first non-televised Celtic home Scottish Cup game in many years to get this level of coverage, when the last non-televised Celtic home Scottish Cup game was that draw against Arbroath. 

Sorry, what?

What exactly is this "Man Utd 0-0 Exeter principle", if it doesn't revolve round ensuring that big guns always receive the fullest coverage, just in case they stumble?  You're deliberately masking what you're saying behind weak apparent parallels because you know how stupid your bald theory would sound.

What exactly was the nature of this "criticism" in the wake of the Arbroath game anyway?  Yesterday you sounded speculative on the subject, referring to how the coverage "almost certainly prompted accusations of bias".   I really don't recall the outcry.   I daresay it might have excited some comment on here, but precedent would strongly suggest that BBC Scotland is impervious to that kind of criticism.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

26 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

This is a Sky one, but Andy Walker's 'analysis' in the Edinburgh Derby was utterly dreadful yesterday. When they were showing replays of the goal, he screamed 'the backspin has taken the ball into the net' about 4 times. Something anyone with a functioning pair of eyes could have seen for themself.

Commentators in general these days seem to think they have to speak about everything that's happening, instead of just letting you witness the event itself. They also have a habit of screaming things to create some "soundbite" that gets played constantly (Aguerooooooooo) 

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Sorry, what?

What exactly is this "Man Utd 0-0 Exeter principle", if it doesn't revolve round ensuring that big guns always receive the fullest coverage, just in case they stumble?  You're deliberately masking what you're saying behind weak apparent parallel because you know how stupid your bald theory would sound.

What exactly was the nature of this "criticism" in the wake of the Arbroath game anyway?  Yesterday you sounded speculative on the subject, referring to how the coverage "almost certainly prompted accusations of bias".   I really don't recall the outcry.   I daresay it might have excited some comment on here, but precedent would strongly suggest that BBC Scotland is impervious to that kind of criticism.

The fact you're failing to understand the simple sentence: "They shouldn't pick as a "featured game" what on paper should be a Celtic walkover; however I understand their reasons why." is why I originally decided to stop replying. I should have just bitten my tongue and let it drop because clearly it's impossible to get through to you. 

Two people have tried to explain it to you, but we'd have a better time trying to teach advanced nuclear physics to Barry Ferguson. 

Just now, The Master said:

The fact you're failing to understand the simple sentence: "They shouldn't pick as a "featured game" what on paper should be a Celtic walkover; however I understand their reasons why." is why I originally decided to stop replying. I should have just bitten my tongue and let it drop because clearly it's impossible to get through to you. 

Two people have tried to explain it to you, but we'd have a better time trying to teach advanced nuclear physics to Barry Ferguson. 

Nah, not good enough.

I'm very clear on why Celtic were featured in the way they were.

It was a lazy decision owing much to habit and a desire to chase viewing figures by relaxing editorial standards.

You've not been at all clear on what you think the reasons were.  You wish to cite games involving Exeter and Arbroath, but accuse me of constructing a straw man argument in suggesting that you're then saying that such games are screened in case there's a shock.

Don't accuse me of being thick in order to deflect from quite how badly, and clearly, you're struggling here.

48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nah, not good enough.

I'm very clear on why Celtic were featured in the way they were.

It was a lazy decision owing much to habit and a desire to chase viewing figures by relaxing editorial standards.

You've not been at all clear on what you think the reasons were.  You wish to cite games involving Exeter and Arbroath, but accuse me of constructing a straw man argument in suggesting that you're then saying that such games are screened in case there's a shock.

Don't accuse me of being thick in order to deflect from quite how badly, and clearly, you're struggling here.

I didn't accuse anyone of being thick. You're the only one to suggest such a thing.