Buying tickets for German football games

I'm almost certainly going to be in Germany over the weekend of Dec 15th-17th. I'll have ice hockey to go to on the Friday and Sunday, leaving my Saturday free to take in a German football game.

How straight forward is it to buy tickets for German games? Should I book them through the club directly, a ticket website or buy on the day?

I'm going to Mannheim so I've got the choice of a few teams. Eintracht Frankfurt v Schalke seems to be the obvious option, although another reasonable train journey could also take me to Stuttgart v Bayern. Mainz and Hoffenheim are both away from home so neither is an option. A wee bit further (2 hours by train) is Cologne for FC Koln v Wolfsburg.

Anybody bought tickets for an Eintracht Frankfurt game? What would be the best section in the ground to get tickets for? I know that the game ticket includes local pubic transport to and from the stadium - unlike our sports that dont have such joined up thinking.

Few of us going over for Dortmund v Schalke on 25th November. I've spoken to Dortmund and they say we can buy 2 tickets per person after the members sale period is finished.

I can see tickets on sale for the game on likes of Viagogo but they are ridiculously expensive there so think we will take our chances and hope we can get the tickets through official channels.

Let me know how you get on!

I had a wee dig about online. Seems like I can register and order from Frankfurt's website, print my ticket at home and order/print a pass for the tram/S Bahn journey to and from the ground. Wasn't sure if they'd be available through the likes of Ticket Master as an alternative.

Unfortunately I need to do it all in German, but it looks like there's also an English language guide to ordering in German.

Once I've got my leave booked in work, I'll give it a go. Will also sort out my hockey tickets, including a trip on the supporters' away train (Yes, train - we run supporters busses and the Germans run a supporters train to one of their games every season). 

Never did a football game on my last trip to Germany so I really fancy doing it this time since I've got the saturday going spare. 

I've bought numerous German tickets online despite the fact I speak no German. In the boxes you have to fill in, name, address, cardnumber etc i just copy them into google translate.

Your ticket just doubles as your train ticket ( unless it's different in that region). I've never actuallly seen a ticket inspector on a German regional train.

If you go from Frankfurt to Cologne you'll need to pay for the train though

I've bought numerous German tickets online despite the fact I speak no German. In the boxes you have to fill in, name, address, cardnumber etc i just copy them into google translate.

Your ticket just doubles as your train ticket ( unless it's different in that region). I've never actuallly seen a ticket inspector on a German regional train.

If you go from Frankfurt to Cologne you'll need to pay for the train though

I'll be going from Mannheim to Frankfurt.

Ive seen ticket inspectors twice on German trains. First time was the regional train to Heidelberg. I was in first class with a 2nd class ticket. When she realised I wasn't German she admitted that first class on the regional inter city was a bit crap and didn't ask me to move. On the ICE from Mannheim to Frankfurt airport the guy gave it a quick look as he walked past.

Will be a great trip if I get the time off work.

On one of the ICE trains i've been on i was asked for ID plus the card i'd booked with (it does say you need this, so had them looked out) the other times they just glanced at the tickets.

Contrary to the sterotypye, i've found German trains do break down and are late but they always seem to arrange an alternative almost immediately

56 minutes ago, Div said:

Few of us going over for Dortmund v Schalke on 25th November. I've spoken to Dortmund and they say we can buy 2 tickets per person after the members sale period is finished.

I can see tickets on sale for the game on likes of Viagogo but they are ridiculously expensive there so think we will take our chances and hope we can get the tickets through official channels.

Let me know how you get on!

There isn't even the slightest chance that there will be any tickets left for that after the members sale, unfortunately. Not trying to be negative, just giving you the head's up. I have friends on the yellow wall but I would struggle to get a ticket for that game.

Your only options are to either find a Dortmund fan willing to purchase a ticket for you, or to pay through the roof on Viagogo. It's the biggest derby in Germany and tickets are highly sought after so if you go down the Viagogo route it won't be cheap. Been to Dortmund plenty of times as my brother lives there, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck.

There isn't even the slightest chance that there will be any tickets left for that after the members sale, unfortunately. Not trying to be negative, just giving you the head's up. I have friends on the yellow wall but I would struggle to get a ticket for that game.
Your only options are to either find a Dortmund fan willing to purchase a ticket for you, or to pay through the roof on Viagogo. It's the biggest derby in Germany and tickets are highly sought after so if you go down the Viagogo route it won't be cheap. Been to Dortmund plenty of times as my brother lives there, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Good luck.

Balls. I didn't even know it was a derby!

Cheers for the heads up. We are travelling to and staying in Düsseldorf, apparently it's a better night out?

If we don't get tickets sorted for Dortmund we'll go somewhere else.

1 minute ago, Div said:

Balls. I didn't even know it was a derby!

Cheers for the heads up. We are travelling to and staying in Düsseldorf, apparently it's a better night out?

If we don't get tickets sorted for Dortmund we'll go somewhere else.

Yeah, there's a lot of bad feeling between Dortmund and Schalke :lol:

Düsseldorf is awesome. Nice city and the Altstadt has plenty of bars so you'll be spoiled for choice. Pretty central as well. The great thing about that area is that even if you can't get tickets for Dortmund there are usually plenty of other games within reach. You've got Cologne, Gladbach and Leverkusen in the area and the likes of Fortuna Düsseldorf in the Bundesliga 2.

Dortmund is alright as well but it's a lot more industrial and outwith the football there isn't a great deal to do.

24 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The sonderzug game I'm hoping to go to is Mannheim @ Dusseldorf. Train full of crazy Adler Mannheim fans descending on Dusseldorf.

Frankfurt stadium looks like it'll be worth visiting

DEG's arena is actually pretty nice. Perfect size for hockey.

If you get a chance to visit Cologne's as well you should. 

43 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The sonderzug game I'm hoping to go to is Mannheim @ Dusseldorf. Train full of crazy Adler Mannheim fans descending on Dusseldorf.

Frankfurt stadium looks like it'll be worth visiting

I'm not sure what route that takes but I got a train from frankfurt to cologne a few years ago and it was a pretty scenic journey. It followed the rhine for a large part of the way and passed roman ruins and a couple of castles.

Just bought 2 tickets online for Frankfurt v Augsburg in September. The only way you can pay is by bank transfer according to the web site. I phoned the club up and was told just to send them an email with my credit card details and what tickets I wanted. Within a short space of time I had a confirmation that they had received my details. 4 euros charge for sending the tickets out. Strangely enough their are also other German clubs asking for bank transfer only. A pain in the arse as it it adds on another £9.50 or so, even if you only want one ticket. A few clubs offer "print at home" option, which is really good for convenience and security, but if you collect match tickets, a bit of a blowser.

13 minutes ago, yogisbairns said:

Just bought 2 tickets online for Frankfurt v Augsburg in September. The only way you can pay is by bank transfer according to the web site. I phoned the club up and was told just to send them an email with my credit card details and what tickets I wanted. Within a short space of time I had a confirmation that they had received my details. 4 euros charge for sending the tickets out. Strangely enough their are also other German clubs asking for bank transfer only. A pain in the arse as it it adds on another £9.50 or so, even if you only want one ticket. A few clubs offer "print at home" option, which is really good for convenience and security, but if you collect match tickets, a bit of a blowser.

Frankfurt do offer print@home tickets, and also payment online with credit card. Might be a non German address causing the limited options. Have on numerous occasions purchased from Hamburg, Wolfsburg & obviously Hannover, credit-card no issue, print@home good at Wolfsburg etc.

20 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

When do tickets generally go on public sale? Just booked up to go to Berlin on the 13th of September, and Union are at home to Eintracht Braunschweig on the Friday night, but general sale doesn't seem to have started.

https://www.union-zeughaus.de/eintracht-braunschweig-6.spieltag.htm

Best to ask them when the members sale finishes & general sale starts. Mentions on the link that there aren't many tickets left. Will sell out straight away, assuming it does go to a general sale.

I'm thinking of heading to Germany in late January. Possible games I've penciled in are Schalke V Hannover, Gladbach V Augsburg, Fortuna Dusseldorf V Erzgebirge Aue and Bochum V Duisburg. 

I think it will be easy enough to get tickets for the last two. But Schalke especially seems hard to get tickets for. I've already registered with all four clubs on their websites. Hope to get to at least 2 of those.

On 09/08/2017 at 16:48, German Jag said:

https://www.union-zeughaus.de/eintracht-braunschweig-6.spieltag.htm

Best to ask them when the members sale finishes & general sale starts. Mentions on the link that there aren't many tickets left. Will sell out straight away, assuming it does go to a general sale.

Yeah I've fired them off an email, playing the tourist card, so fingers crossed they'll put a ticket aside for me.

Archived