Airdrie vs Arbroath

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, waysider said:

Can you not take this fascinating discussion about strips somewhere else please?

That is a fair question. But the debate was started because of the kit worn by Arbroath in the game yesterday. You are correct though, thus should be debated on the Arbroath thread.

That's the point it is not an away kit, it is an alternate kit and there is no colour clashes for us this season

How is it not an away kit?

An alternate kit is usually the 3rd strip that you use if both your home and away tops clash with someone. Like Man Uniteds blue one.

I think you should play in your away top away from home tbh.

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

An alternate kit is usually the 3rd strip that you use if both your home and away tops clash with someone. Like Man Uniteds blue one.

To be fair, a team will only wear the 2nd kit away from home so your point is valid. But I stick to my original point that it should only be worn when there is a clash. 

Am beginning to think this is an age thing, am old enough to remember when there was no such thing as an "away kit", as it was the home team that changed when colours clashed, it was called a "change" kit, as for a 3rd kit, think that's just an excuse to extract more money from gullible fans

I think partly the club at some point has to justify having the alternative strip by wearing it as a marketing ploy to entice people to part with their cash.

The blue kit last season only came out twice at Stirling I believe, which I suppose follows the point you are making.

Talking of nostalgia, does anyone else have fond memories of the maroon candy stripe kits which were our home change outfits. Back in the day, even the change were usually just some form of reversal of dominant colour so both strips of all clubs were of the two same club colours instead of the current arrangement whereby any random selection from the entire palette seems ok. Of course, no trace of shirt sponsorship either. And another thing - kits were recycled and once well used I remember playing for the High School in an AFC handmedown - a bit oversized it was.

Nostalgia indeed and I agree on the alternating colours for clubs such as ours. When Airdrie produced a blue strip with a white diamond as away strip that was bad enough but recently we had an abysmal pink/beetroot strip which rarely saw a victory; a bit like that horror strip Scotland had when they lost in Georgia about 8years ago. however the commercial instinct to get some extra revenue has taken over, so we have to live with it. I thought your "Black" strip actually looked ok but I understand the various postings.

12 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Nostalgia indeed and I agree on the alternating colours for clubs such as ours. When Airdrie produced a blue strip with a white diamond as away strip that was bad enough but recently we had an abysmal pink/beetroot strip which rarely saw a victory; a bit like that horror strip Scotland had when they lost in Georgia about 8years ago. however the commercial instinct to get some extra revenue has taken over, so we have to live with it. I thought your "Black" strip actually looked ok but I understand the various postings.

If we reverted back to that red and blue Barcelona-style 2nd strip then maybe we might start playing like them.

7 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

If we reverted back to that red and blue Barcelona-style 2nd strip then maybe we might start playing like them.

I can't remember that one -have you got a visual? I did like the Black and red AC Milan type one but I was surprised when we first started using blue as a colour. Some people do think the strip does affect how you play-remember Fergie's players getting humped wearing that grey outfit!

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I can't remember that one -have you got a visual? I did like the Black and red AC Milan type one but I was surprised when we first started using blue as a colour. Some people do think the strip does affect how you play-remember Fergie's players getting humped wearing that grey outfit!

Can't find one.  It was early 90s.  Might have misremembered the colours.

Thanks for the info if not the video of the Barcelona strip and I was at that game as usual. On the way to the game last night I also was reminded that we did have a mainly blue jersey alternate in the 60s as a mirror of  Red one with white collar etc. Playing a yellow strip also was mentioned in a game when we looked like Albion Rovers in the 80s( Bury?). Anyway on to the game and four crosses meant four goals, two from corners, two from unchallenged wing deliveries. We could have scored in the third minute with Russell heading wide but for the rest of the first half it was QOTS dominance. The team did not stop putting in effort but we rarely got a shot in. I feared a real thumping in the 2nd half but somehow we ground out almost a 2nd half no scoring draw till the last few minutes. Felt Thomson did really well after replacing the injured Loudon and given that we were up yet again against an experienced side it is hard to be too critical. However we still gave so much space to their left back that again the right hand side was wide open. Higgins might well be a full back but he did not play there as he appears to be told to "tuck in" and the gaps are ever present for crossing. Many rumours of Nacho in the car park etc but no actual signs as far as I could see. What we missed in midfield was the guile/shape/discipline evident in one John Rankine and up front they had Dobbie and Lyle-enough said. How we cope at Rovers on Saturday is a real worry as they drew 2-2 down here. New players are coming thanks to Ryan's departure but I remain sceptical.

Archived