Airdrie vs Arbroath

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

It's shafting the fans as it's the lazy, unimaginative approach to raising funds- just charge it at the gate.

British ticket prices are ridiculously over priced. If you can watch Bayern Munich or Napoli for the same price as Airdrie or Livingston then there is clearly something amiss. Scottish football is shafting fans by charging ridiculous prices for what is on offer.

It is terrible value for money. I'm not having a dig at our owners. My dig is at Scottish/British football in general.

Taking each point one at a time:

* What alternative charging model is open to Airdrie that will cost supporters less money while preventing the club from operating at a loss?  I doubt there is one.  The club has two options - reduce operating costs (pay lower player wages, reduce backroom and support staff, find a cheaper home stadium) or increase the number of customers paying to get in.  The former will involve hard choices which supporters of the club might not be willing to accept (move to Cliftonhill anyone?) and the latter is infinitely easier said than done (for us and just about every other club in Scotland with a couple of exceptions).

* I'm not an expert on German football (or Scottish football for that matter) but I believe that their relatively low price is down to high gates which is driven, in part, by limiting the number of games shown on TV.  I'll see if I can find an article about it;

* It arguably is terrible value for money compared to other forms of enterainment.  Fans are paying a premium to get to do something that they increasingly get limited enjoyment from.  Unfortunately the problem in the Scottish game is tied to the structure of the game in England.  There is little that individual clubs can do and, while the SPFL could do more to help smaller clubs like ours, their options are constrained by the impact that English football has on the Scottish market.

British ticket prices are ridiculously over priced. If you can watch Bayern Munich or Napoli for the same price as Airdrie or Livingston then there is clearly something amiss. Scottish football is shafting fans by charging ridiculous prices for what is on offer.

That argument may apply in the Scottish Premier and most of England, but it's hardly a fair comparison with Airdrie and Livingston. Bayern and Napoli have huge fanbases and are subsidised by TV deals to the tune of millions, so they can afford to drop ticket prices.

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

That's fine but if football clubs want to operate along the lines of "businesses" and treat supporters as "customers" then they best never come to these same "customers" and then try and emotionally black mail them into funding their "business" when their model fails.

Football clubs want to be businesses when they're ripping fans off charging over the top prices and releasing strips every season.

They then want to be community clubs when they're not doing well and want loyalty and people to bear with them when they're crap.

Remind me why the club charges £16.............Over £100000 to the stadium company each year ?

Remind me why the club charges £16.............Over £100000 to the stadium company each year ?

I've never disputed that. It just illustrates that fact (which everyone including the chairman knows) we have a completely unsustainable business/ football club.

If an Arbroath fans draws the line at £16 then he's perfectly entitled to do so.

43 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

If you pay more for something than it is clearly worth then you have been "ripped off". If a large part of why you continue to pay that cost is because you feel emotionally obligated then to an extent you're being exploited.

"Worth" is measured only by the price that people are willing to pay.  The conclusion that can be drawn from the ticket price at Airdrie is that about 600 people think it's worth it.

For anyone (inclding Arbroath fans) coming with kids tomorrow, there will be a FREE pre match party in the Rowan Suite with an entertainer etc from 1pm (entertainer comes on at 1.30. Bar opens at 1, but the President Bar will also be open for peace and quiet. Trust and Aces renewals can be made at the party or the Trust merchandise stall on the concourse 

Anyone looking to collect their FREE Kids season ticket via the KitAid scheme, should go to the ROWAN suite to collect and not the club shop.

Diamonds Den will be open for kids as usual at half time.

The Diamond Sensory Room will again be open for kids with an SPD. This is open to fans of both teams and is free for kids but adult price for parents/carers. Pre booking is essential to guarantee place. Contact stevieburr@live.co.uk to book.

Away from the stadium, there are a variety of friendly pubs in the area who welcome fans of both teams and also support the club. Namely :-

The Four Isles Bar

West End Bar

Albert Bar

Cue Here

1 hour ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Andy Ryan is very likely to miss out tomorrow.

Not great news but means either Russell or Thomson will get a crack at leading the line in a competitive game. The one good thing about having a very inexperienced squad is that the youngsters are finally getting an opportunity to shine, hopefully it is the making of them.

Not great news but means either Russell or Thomson will get a crack at leading the line in a competitive game. The one good thing about having a very inexperienced squad is that the youngsters are finally getting an opportunity to shine, hopefully it is the making of them.

I've liked the look of Thomson in his few short cameos so far.

Think he's only 17/18 so plenty time to develop.

14 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I've nothing against JB to be fair. He sticks to his words unlike TW. He's just doing the same unimaginative shit every other chairman in Scotland is doing though and we are going nowhere.

I think you're underestimating the chairman's duplicity. He's come away with some utter whoppers in the last couple of years.

27 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Apparently so but I'm not privy to back room machinations, he seems to have put plenty of people's noses out of joint. However in the main he has stuck to his main aim not to spend more than we take in. And hasn't made crazy promises or set wild expectations.

True,

I would rather have chairman that will keep the club finacially secure than a chairman who is willing to risk the entire future of the club. The Ballantynes didnt turn there back on the club TW did. Whatever mistakes JB has made none are on par with the ones TW made.

Ferguson was brilliant. Best goalkeeping display by an Airdrie keeper in years. There, I've said it.

Other comments. Brown had one of his better games. Ryan's goal was a peach.

Other than that we are rubbish. Midfield not existent. Arbroath miles better than us. Unless we get some good loan signings in it's relegation.

Archived