Dundee United vs Queen of the South

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Whether it was a dive or not is open to question but it certainly wasn't a penalty.

The Edge has a kick and his foot is about shoulder high, on Kane. Kane obviously thinks theres contact and goes down, the ref doesnt.

To be honest, if there was contact it should have been a penalty. Arguably, it should have been an indirect free kick for a "high foot" even if there was no contact

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mr X said:

The Edge has a kick and his foot is about shoulder high, on Kane. Kane obviously thinks theres contact and goes down, the ref doesnt.

To be honest, if there was contact it should have been a penalty. Arguably, it should have been an indirect free kick for a "high foot" even if there was no contact

Yes, I've seen the same footage now. I think it probably is a penalty from the better angle. I didn't see the high foot from the Edge at the time as it was on my blindside.

While its always disappointing not to beat 10 men I dont think we could have done a whole lot more. United were to content to sit, defend and hit on the break and we had plenty of possession, created a few decent chances but, ultimately, couldnt break them down. 
There are a couple of things I think Naysmith got wrong, though - presumably Tapping started on the right to provide protection to Rooney. He didnt, at all and the goal was coming from the kick off, yet we made no adjustments to try and stop McMullan. Maybe it would have been better to play a more natural wide player? I also think the substitutions were far too late. Carmichael made a big difference when he came on, Tapping should have been hooked at half time, or shortly after.
Plenty of positives from the game, though. Fordyce and Brownlie looked solid. For the most part, Rankin and Jacobs competed with Utds midfield. Dykes played well out wide, as did Carmichael when he came on. Kane made some nice runs and more often than not puts away the chance he had after Dobbie played him through - credit to the keeper for a really good save.

Agree with all of that. I watched the entire game and don't feel too disheartened by the defeat. The only thing I would add is final ball was consistently atrocious throughout. That's the only concern I have at this stage...

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well, no, not if he's first kicked in the face it isn't.

I've only seen it live without the benefit of replays: was he kicked in the face?

Would seem rather unnecessary to throw himself to the ground thereafter if that's what actually happened. I wonder if you might be rather overegging it.

1 hour ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

Kane dived; anyone watching these highlights and denying that is not being objective.

Rooney did a bit more than just have a pull at McMullan, he had about three goes at him.  Doesn't excuse McMullan's overreaction but it didn't look as bad in the replay as it did at the time.  Still a straight red though.

46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Kane dived; anyone watching these highlights and denying that is not being objective.

Rooney did a bit more than just have a pull at McMullan, he had about three goes at him.  Doesn't excuse McMullan's overreaction but it didn't look as bad in the replay as it did at the time.  Still a straight red though.

Nayidea doesn't half talk  some rubbish and  continually contradicts himself.

Poor Martin couldn't even move for either goal, 

Going by that the referee was spot on. I believe the modern term is "gone down expecting contact".

He admits as much in his interview where he says he was kicked but he's not sure if it was enough to bring him down.

If he's anticipated contact, initiated contact, or exaggerated contact, then it's simulation.

Was it a penalty when Kane went down? Guy on the radio seemed to think so?
Think it was more the fact he rode the tackles till he was inside the box that caused the ref to book him.

Could have been different on another day. That's the quality of refs in championship.

Yeah it doesn't look like a penalty to me. Good decision by the ref. Definitely a sending off though.
100% agreed can't lift your hands. As said above "silly" and inexperienced. He was getting plenty of joy down the wing imagine if the defender was on a yellow.

Think the ref has got all the big decisions correct. Clear sending off and not a penalty.

Overall I was fairly impressed with our performance. Defence looked solid enough minus Rooney getting skint for the first goal. Midfield again worked hard off the ball but lacks creativity. Dobbie had an off day.

If we play this that for most of the season I think we will be safe enough.

Not at the game, observations based on excellent video as usual.

SD is over-egging it a bit to say Kane was "kicked in the face" but certainly, at least, the defender was guilty of a very high challenge.

The second goal was basic stuff for any GK. Is that Martin's normal pace for getting down or was he not fit to play ?

Some seem to think we should be taking more from that game against 10.

It's a difficult one. Certainly, from those highlights United looked really comfortable on the ball and pacy with it.

The obvious comparison to draw is Burnley against Chelsea where the away team certainly made their advantage count.

One might think the gap in quality between Burnley and Chelsea is far greater than the one between ourselves and United.

Nothing really  lost though as I don't think many of us would have been expecting anything from the game.

Taking full points from the likes of Dumbarton at home is far more important.

38 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

SD is over-egging it a bit to say Kane was "kicked in the face"

Er I might have been if I said that. I didnt though. I said IF he is kicked in the face its a penalty. I cant tell from that footage if there is contact or not. Surprised anyone thinks they can. There might be, there might not. He said there was.

Archived