Country Before Club says McLeish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40836601

Don't know if this is right place for this but...

Henry McLeish thinks we should put the needs of the national team ahead of the clubs and uses Iceland, Wales, Norn Irn, RoI and Albania as examples of countries that qualified for Euro 2016 when we didn't.

Personally I could not give a rats arse about the national team or international football; one of the few things I'd pick up from the "good old days" is I'd limit the fucking international breaks to a game on the Wednesday without shutting the league down for 2 weeks.

By all means, improve the player development programmes but not for the benefit of the national team, for the benefit of our clubs; his suggestion it will only take 2 or 3 years is bollocks. I'd suggest 10 -15 years. in the meantime, however, I do not want to see my club forced to play inferior Scottish players instead of better foreign players for the benefit of a national team I have no interest in.

27 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

According to Wiki (I know), your entire playing staff is Scottish anyway, except for one Englishman.

You're quite right, I was referring to Aberdeen, my nearest pro club and the club I follow and go to watch (and support) when I go to professional games

6 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

You're quite right, I was referring to Aberdeen, my nearest pro club and the club I follow and go to watch (and support) when I go to professional games

I realise I'm being a c**t here but, according to Wiki again (I know), the Dons currently have an Icelander and three Irishmen from outside of the UK.

I think you should tell us which of these inferior Scots you'd like punted from the squad  :P

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I realise I'm being a c**t here but, according to Wiki again (I know), the Dons currently have an Icelander and three Irishmen from outside of the UK.

I think you should tell us which of these inferior Scots you'd like punted from the squad  :P

For Aberdeen I'd happily punt any and all Scotsmen if the foreign johnnies were superior and came at a price that was value for our British Pounds.

For the Locos I would take any 11 able bodied men because it's shaping up to be a real long fucking season

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

He mentions foreign players in Scotland, but then quotes Wales, who's domestic league is shite and from which zero of the Welsh national squad come from

Didn't his original recommendation include an infrastructure spend of like half a billion quids? He speaks without the encumbrance of thought

It's a squirrel (as always).

The big problems in Scottish football are:

• Celtic and Rangers.  The lack of revenue distribution is killing the game.  How can you expect TV companies and supporters to get excited for a new season when the title has been stuck in Glasgow for 30+ years??  It's the most unequal sporting league in the world, ffs. 
  • All our main media sources are based in England.  Again, it's kinda hard to get supporters excited when not a single channel will preview any of the games or bother showing highlights on the same day.  And it also means Scottish people pay a lot of money into English sport: English cricket, rugby and football all benefit from this.  Scottish sports don't.
  • An irrational fear of what others think of us.  We're terrified of being the laughing stock of Europe (like anyone cares).  For some reason this manifests itself in us thinking that the Celtic-Rangers duopoly is good and that we should just copy England with everything.

Foreigners have nothing to do with it.  Coaching could be better mind you, that'd help young Scots players.  I knew a guy once who signed for Dundee Utd.  He was a good player but an utter knob.  As it turned out, giving him money just made him into an even bigger knob and he promptly disappeared. We need to make sure we de-knobify youngsters before they sign professional contracts so they don't piss it all away.

18 minutes ago, tamba_trio said:

We need to make sure we de-knobify youngsters before they sign professional contracts so they don't piss it all away.

I'd like to see this policy extended into other areas of society too. Exactly the kind of thing the Scottish Government would be doing if they'd only get on with the bloody day job.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

He mentions foreign players in Scotland, but then quotes Wales, who's domestic league is shite and from which zero of the Welsh national squad come from

Also Albania, who have outsourced player development to Switzerland and whose domestic league is both brutal and full of match fixing.

24 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'd like to see this policy extended into other areas of society too. Exactly the kind of thing the Scottish Government would be doing if they'd only get on with the bloody day job.

I'm all for the unknobification of society but - in this case - football clubs need to be smarter.  When the kids are 13-14 they need to speak to their schools regularly and see what their general attitude is like.  The thing is - if they're an utter knob in school at that point - once you give them a contract and have to deal with them full time, they're going to be an utter knob with you (in fact, they'll be worse, because they'll have money).  

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 14:00, parsforlife said:

Has he been let out his box again? Dribbling shite as always

Being sad and lonely enough to once have read the McLeish Report it was vastly overrated as a blueprint for the future of Scottish football.

McLeish seems to think Scottish football is suffering because no young stars are getting a tilt at the first XI.

It’s utter bollocks. Good young players do get games. If there’s a problem it’s that they’re not as good as McLeish seems to imagine.

However, if by some dint of fate they suddenly became world class because of being pitched into the first team they would not be paying for Scottish clubs very long (or at least not any Scottish clubs outside the OF-as-was).

Have a look at the top clubs in Portugal and Croatia, probably the best small European countries for producing players; despite the apparent production line of local talent they all have a fair number of foreigners in their first team squads and much, if not most, of the national teams plays their football abroad. Those who do play ‘at home’ play for the biggest, richest clubs, not The Rest.

Let’s not kid ourselves, youth development is expensive and risky, there’s very few clubs in Scotland could attempt it on an industrial scale. Furthermore, any genuinely promising kids at the lesser lights would gravitate towards the bigger clubs if the English didn’t suck them up, but sooner or later they’ll be at Ibrox, Parkhead or England anyway.

I’m not suggesting we shouldn’t improve our youth development but it should only be done for the benefit of clubs, not country. If the national team benefits as a sideshow, fine, but that’s all. Unless the national association is going to fund it, of course…

As much as i love and care for the national team and wince at the thought of nearly 20 years without a Tournament appearances i care far more about St. Johnstone, and the future of club football.

I'd much rather our teams become relatively successful in Europe.

I don't claim to know how to make our clubs stronger in Europe or our National team one to be proud of again. The people in charge have had long enough to attempt to find the answers and they have failed miserably and should move on.

As i said on another thread i think as a stand alone 'product' the game in Scotland is decent enough, entertaining enough but we do lack the basic ability that some other countries (who should be our equals or thereabouts) possess.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 11:38, EdTheDuck said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40836601

Don't know if this is right place for this but...

Henry McLeish thinks we should put the needs of the national team ahead of the clubs and uses Iceland, Wales, Norn Irn, RoI and Albania as examples of countries that qualified for Euro 2016 when we didn't.

Personally I could not give a rats arse about the national team or international football; one of the few things I'd pick up from the "good old days" is I'd limit the fucking international breaks to a game on the Wednesday without shutting the league down for 2 weeks.

By all means, improve the player development programmes but not for the benefit of the national team, for the benefit of our clubs; his suggestion it will only take 2 or 3 years is bollocks. I'd suggest 10 -15 years. in the meantime, however, I do not want to see my club forced to play inferior Scottish players instead of better foreign players for the benefit of a national team I have no interest in.

your team has international players?

Archived