'C'mon the Mo' 2017-18

All a matter of opinion really. The fact is we just aren't scoring enough goals and will get caught out as we did against Annan recently.  Getting the first goal is vital but if we had a McAlister player up front then we'd clean up this division easily. Sanny is an important player for us, sure he is but he's not the answer as he doesn't now score goals for fun and seriously lacks pace when it's needed. If SP can get lucky during the January window then we might just win this division but if we don't improve in the goal scoring department, we won't. 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other (match) thread is very quiet from Berwick fans so I came on here as I can't even be bothered to wind them up about all the crap they've slung at us in the past. Pity they have such WUM's as otherwise Berwick Rangers are a decent wee club. Having said that they were absolute shite out there on the pitch today and if SP hadn't given more pitch time to other squad players in the second half surely we would have scored at least 6.

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Hows Foxy getting on lads?

Ok as an experienced squad player but not an auto choice in the starting eleven. Looked a bit over weight recently though maybe not quite as much today - maybe gave him a bigger size shirt today? Decent lad though and fits in well with what is a terrific dressing room right now.

Why do you ask by the way - do you need him back?

Just now, MOFOREVER said:

Ok as an experienced squad player but not an auto choice in the starting eleven. Looked a bit over weight recently though maybe not quite as much today - maybe gave him a bigger size shirt today? Decent lad though and fits in well with what is a terrific dressing room right now.

Why do you ask by the way - do you need him back?

Too right we need him back! Probably my favourite ever Forfar player, in his prime he was some player and even towards the end of his Forfar career brilliant to watch and as you say a gid lad. He's struggled with injuries in recent years and his legs are going but get runners and ball winners around him he'll pull the strings for you.

Really hope you lads can get up this season, all the best.

Interesting line up by SP yesterday and at first I struggled to understand it. No Johnston, Watson, Callaghan or Webster in the starting eleven and Fraser up alongside Sanny. As soon as the game started though I could see what the idea was and it sure worked - aided by a shite display from Berwick mind. We've been rabbiting on about our lack of threat up front (well I have anyway) so SP tried something else out of the resources he has. Fraser and Sanny up top could have gone wrong but it didn't and SP will need to decide if it's worth sticking with against better opposition next week. I think we should. The big difference for me though was that we had two midfielders in Masson and Redman who were pushing up in support right from the word go.  That makes such a difference when you have two players hovering in and around the edge of the box picking up the second balls. With more luck they could have had a brace of goals each.

Add to that the more free ranging role of Cammy Ballantyne on the right flank and we had a far better threat up top. When that happens you peg the opposition back which means you have more territorial advantage and we still have a strong back four with Matty Allan getting better every week. Pressure up top = less pressure at the back.

Next up we have Elgin, Stirling and Peterhead and in the first quarter we took only a single point out of those three.  I think SP has to think positive and go for it by playing a similar sort of attacking style against all three, maybe with the exception of Peterhead where I think we must man mark to try and snuff out McAllister.

Unfortunately I'll probably have to miss the Elgin game and the weather along with being away a lot might disrupt my journeys this winter but believe me, not being at a game is even harder than being there! Keep up the away support particularly lads, the players really do appreciate it.

Let's take a trip down memory lane.

Exactly a quarter of a century ago, on the 12th of December 1992, Montrose faced East Stirlingshire at Links Park. Montrose were leading by one goal to nil before  'shire equalised very late on. If I remember correctly Montrose then had a player sent off before scoring three goals in injury time to emerge as 4-1 winners.

I'm trying to remember details of the match but can't find much online. Do any statto types or programme collectors have more info? Like goalscorers, who was red carded etc. 

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Exactly a quarter of a century ago, on the 12th of December 1992, Montrose faced East Stirlingshire at Links Park. Montrose were leading by one goal to nil before  'shire equalised very late on. If I remember correctly Montrose then had a player sent off before scoring three goals in injury time to emerge as 4-1 winners.

I'm trying to remember details of the match but can't find much online. Do any statto types or programme collectors have more info? Like goalscorers, who was red carded etc. 

The programme for the game after would have told us all you need to know but sod's law applies here because that programme was for the match against Brechin City and is only one of two I haven't got for that season, the other being against Queen's Park on 15th May 1993. If anybody has them I'll give a decent price for them. In fact anybody with a good collection of Mo progs home and away and willing to part with any I'd be interested to add to my collection of over 2,000 Mo progs. I'm particularly short of several from 1955/6, 2004/5 and 2005/6 plus odd ones in other seasons. My long term plan is to donate them all to MFC.

Anyway back to the question. Our 4 goalscorers were Martin Nelson, Alan Logan, Derek Grant and Ian Robertson. I can't recall who was sent off.

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Further to the reply just posted I can now tell you the sent off player was Martin Nelson, one of our goal scorers. It was mentioned in the programme for the Cove Rangers cup game the following Saturday.

On 07/12/2017 at 00:20, MOFOREVER said:

All a matter of opinion really. The fact is we just aren't scoring enough goals and will get caught out as we did against Annan recently.  Getting the first goal is vital but if we had a McAlister player up front then we'd clean up this division easily. Sanny is an important player for us, sure he is but he's not the answer as he doesn't now score goals for fun and seriously lacks pace when it's needed. If SP can get lucky during the January window then we might just win this division but if we don't improve in the goal scoring department, we won't. 

Six goals in two games, good enough for you? Eating up that goal deficit against the Blue Toon. Fabulous Angus Riviera microclimate and foresight of those who installed artificial pitch to allow winter football together with kindly scheduling, all means we're top of the league and I'M LOVE, LOVE, LOVIN' IT!:)

https://youtu.be/-YV7thZFA_4

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

Six goals in two games, good enough for you? Eating up that goal deficit against the Blue Toon. Fabulous Angus Riviera microclimate and foresight of those who installed artificial pitch to allow winter football together with kindly scheduling, all means we're top of the league and I'M LOVE, LOVE, LOVIN' IT!:)

https://youtu.be/-YV7thZFA_4

Yes, loving it right enough. What's done the trick IMO is SP's changed formation to play both Masson and Redman in the holes behind the front two and with Cammy and Steevsey rattling down the wings. From not looking like scoring many we are now looking to score almost every attack and the better territorial advantage is a winner.

Great win today for the mo to keep the unbeaten run going.

Superb strike from Terry Masson to open the scoring I thought himself and Redman had a very good game today.Changing point in the day Fleming saving the penalty for sure.Superb save and after that the mo ran out comfortable winners.

Man of the match for me today is a superb talent we have on loan from Dundee utd cammy ballantyne what a player in the making he is.

Bring on the Stirling where their should be a healthy following from the mo.

At the turn of the year and now having seen all teams in league two, may I with clear mind, suggest that Montrose will finish as champions this season.
I see new dimensions in the Mo’ both physically and mentally. Couple this to the fact that Mo’ are actually a decent side and you chaps up the coast should be planning a party.

Archived