'C'mon the Mo' 2017-18

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ach well, back to league business as usual.

Seems like Q.o.S. are the new St.J. for the Mo.

Some encouragement to be had from two of three cup competitions.

League Cup format is just horrible for lower league teams. 

A cup run is a bonus. I don't envy Brechin drawing Celtic away too much. I would rather make progress than just show up for appearance money. That said, it will be pretty special for City's players, probably less so for fans. I expect you can tolerate the inevitable patronising guff, as long as the price is right.

Roll on Saturday and a tough one v. Stenny.

I thought SP got it right for the replay by making changes. Prize money is one thing but with Stenny away on Saturday then Clyde away the following Saturday the gaffer has to shuffle the pack and in any case give QoS something different to think about. As it was Queens tried to snuff out our wing backs and succeeded to some extent but both are so good they still provided a great threat. I don't think having Sanny on from the start was necessary but the pace of Hay and Fraser might just have worked. Queens had more possession but didn't provide a great deal of threat and Flem dealt with it well. Our problem is still up top as we just aren't enough of a threat even in L2 - it's the back line which is our strength. Imagine the difference if we had McAllister up top!

Main difference between us and Queens on Tuesday was they had two sublime finishes to our one. We competed well over the 2 games but the league is our objective and I just hope we are up for it at Stenny on Saturday. I'll be there to find out and the lads need a good away support to lift them. Yesterday is always history as we move on to the next day which we can do something about.

Fantastic away following by Mo fans again at Stenny today following a big turnout at Cowden as well. Well done to everybody - the players certainly appreciate it; we are all in this together, players, fans, staff and Directors. Makes quite a difference when we all pull our weight.

Years ago I can remember when quite often I was the only Mo fan at some away games - wasn't good but what a change now. We've got to keep it going even if god forbid we hit a sticky patch. Onwards and upwards - see you at the Broadwood wind tunnel next week.

Fantastic away following by Mo fans again at Stenny today following a big turnout at Cowden as well. Well done to everybody - the players certainly appreciate it; we are all in this together, players, fans, staff and Directors. Makes quite a difference when we all pull our weight.
Years ago I can remember when quite often I was the only Mo fan at some away games - wasn't good but what a change now. We've got to keep it going even if god forbid we hit a sticky patch. Onwards and upwards - see you at the Broadwood wind tunnel next week.

Brilliant following today long may it continue. December the 4th I think I'm right in saying petrie was appointed manager last year?.....what a difference in the club on and off the park.

His first game was a slightly lucky home win v playoff certainties and possible title challengers  Clyde. Fast forward a year and we've only won 5 league games since! Shows how quickly things can change.

His first game was a slightly lucky home win v playoff certainties and possible title challengers  Clyde. Fast forward a year and we've only won 5 league games since! Shows how quickly things can change.

Crazy to think that....Lol.

Lads, out of interest, what’s been the biggest factor in Montrose’s turnaround over the last season or two?

Is it all down to Stewart Petrie management skills, or has their been a reasonable increase in budget been made available to him to strengthen the squad?

The switch from perennial jobbers to promotion contenders is pretty startling.

Lads, out of interest, what’s been the biggest factor in Montrose’s turnaround over the last season or two?

Is it all down to Stewart Petrie management skills, or has their been a reasonable increase in budget been made available to him to strengthen the squad?

Sir Stewart Petrie and his staff are a major factor the way we are playing and getting results right now and how the team have changed from basement battlers to promotion contenders.Young modern coach who served his apprenticeship with sheerin and then uncle dick at forfar which has served him pretty well so far.As for the budget can't see us paying out brilliant wages just the normal for a team in this division.
Away from the park we bought back our stand from Bryan Keith which was really good bit of bussiness and we have a community trust winning awards right left and centre.Montrose were voted the best community club in Scotland for 2017!!!All in all theirs a buzz about the place again which has been lacking over the past few years....long may it continue.

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

A lot of it is down to Stewart Petrie. There are a lot of players at the club who have been there a few years under different managers and I've always thought they were decent players at this level but SP now seems to be getting the best out of them. With the addition of a couple of decent players, such as Cammy Ballantyne and Sean Dillon, I think we now have a fairly decent team and they are playing as a team. He has the team motivated and playing decent football generally. I don't think there has been a huge increase in the budget so a lot of the credit has to go to SP. As mo83 said there's a lot more going on in the community trying to link the club to the wider town and that, combined with a team doing better on the park, is probably generating more sponsorship and slightly higher crowds.

I agree with the other Mo posters above but just want to add that credit also needs to be given to the Board of Directors. So often you hear fans shouting 'Sack the Board' but right now our Board deserve great credit firstly for appointing Stewart Petrie and secondly for the energy they put into running the club off the field as well as on it. All of them (I think) are fairly local men but all are appointed to the Board for a purpose and all have their responsibilities. Yes they probably/possibly put a bit of cash up front occasionally but by no means on a 'sugar daddy' basis. It's just good housekeeping and shrewd management. That's the theme right through the club at present. We are never gonna pull in great crowds through the turnstiles these days but when everybody at the club pulls their weight and in the same direction, and that includes the fans, then generally you have the right recipe for success.

Credit to SP as well mind you, it has been done by his leadership from the dressing room but credit also to the lads out there on the pitch - and as I say in the Boardroom and on the terraces too.

How long is cammy ballantyne signed up for?Bit in the courier saying he is fearful he might return to Dundee utd,Hope not he is a massive player for us at the moment.

Supposed to be season long loan but obviously his home team would have first dibs.
Heard originally he couldn't be recalled but that may have changed with United change of management

Sir Stewart Petrie and his staff are a major factor the way we are playing and getting results right now and how the team have changed from basement battlers to promotion contenders.Young modern coach who served his apprenticeship with sheerin and then uncle dick at forfar which has served him pretty well so far.As for the budget can't see us paying out brilliant wages just the normal for a team in this division.
Away from the park we bought back our stand from Bryan Keith which was really good bit of bussiness and we have a community trust winning awards right left and centre.Montrose were voted the best community club in Scotland for 2017!!!All in all theirs a buzz about the place again which has been lacking over the past few years....long may it continue.

We've agreed a deal to buy the whole ground back, not just the stand.

Archived