Morton v st mirren Renfrewshire Derby

Granted I've only seen Morton's 'goal-cam' but both penalties looked like the correct decision and, whilst a straight red was harsh, Baird would've earned a second yellow for conceding the second.

What also struck me from the goal-cam was how little a reaction there seemed to be from the St Mirren players after conceding. Nobody really getting a rollocking, nobody trying to get the team going, nobody booting posts or whatever. The players just seemed to shrug their shoulders and toddle away.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Maybe the straight red later was double punishment but he'd have walked for a 2nd booking anyway no?

Exactly. 

Apparently the double punishment thing doesn't apply to fouls such as 'pushes', which it probably was, so the red was probably fair. 

Jack Baird needs to up his streetwise game: he seems a bit hot-headed and, frankly, a bit dim. If Harry Davis had an impeccable record, Baird would be going out on loan. (Ignoring the fact we'd not have signed HD if he was fit.)

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Exactly. 

Apparently the double punishment thing doesn't apply to fouls such as 'pushes', which it probably was, so the red was probably fair.

I think if you are the last man and make a genuine attempt to play the ball (first penalty) then it's only a yellow card. But if you make no attempt to go for the ball and take the player out (second penalty) then it's a red card.

34 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Funniest bit about Saturday was the row of bald middle aged bellends in the front row of hospitality.  Their performance towards us old farts who can't stand for a whole game was embarrassing to both themselves and Morton.  What Neil Lennon is being accused of was mild  compared to their actions during the game. Fair brightened up what was a shit day!!!

They were absolutely hilarious.

No idea what they served them before the game but it must have been strong stuff to make them act like 12 year olds after their first 3L of supermarket cider :lol:.

31 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Exactly. 

Jack Baird needs to up his streetwise game: he seems a bit hot-headed and, frankly, a bit dim. If Harry Davis had an impeccable record, Baird would be going out on loan. (Ignoring the fact we'd not have signed HD if he was fit.)

Buchanan is an even bigger bomb scare than any of our other centre backs tbh. If he's going to start games then we are going to be in big trouble. From what I've seen I'd rather play one of the kids until Davis is fit.

Open top bus procession starts at Dalrymple street today at 4pm folks.
On a slightly more serious note Morton played really well, bossed the midfield and utilised quitongo fantastically. Morton done to us what we dished out to Falkirk last week. Going to be a brilliant championship season I think. Unless you're ICT [emoji4]

Just now, glenburn bud said:

Buchanan is an even bigger bomb scare than any of our other centre backs tbh. If he's going to start games then we are going to be in big trouble. From what I've seen I'd rather play one of the kids until Davis is fit.

I thought Buchanan was decent when at Dumbarton. Bit surprised he hasn't set the heather alight so far - but early days.

I thought both your CB's were poor and the defence was all over the shop with an alarming lack of pace. 

Thought your midfield knocked the ball about well enough with some nice passing, but up front was a bit powder-puff to be honest.

Why did he take Sutton off? He looked the only one capable of anything .

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I thought Buchanan was decent when at Dumbarton. Bit surprised he hasn't set the heather alight so far - but early days.

I thought both your CB's were poor and the defence was all over the shop with an alarming lack of pace. 

Thought your midfield knocked the ball about well enough with some nice passing, but up front was a bit powder-puff to be honest.

Why did he take Sutton off? He looked the only one capable of anything .

Ageed, God knows why he took Sutton off. He should have stuck Duffy on and just went for it as we had nothing left to loose. Morton did to us what we can never seem to do against ten men. They were clinical when the opportunities came along.

Gary Mac was awful on sat along with the rest of the back four, and tbh I don't think McGinn and McShane is working in midfield. 

Early days but the bragging rights belong to you guys who deserved to win.

20 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Ageed, God knows why he took Sutton off. He should have stuck Duffy on and just went for it as we had nothing left to loose. Morton did to us what we can never seem to do against ten men. They were clinical when the opportunities came along.

When you went down to 10 men we looked for all the world to be standing off and inviting an equaliser, just like the opener last season (maybe we were just having trouble adjusting). At the time I was calling for Duffy to change it in some way before it went to 2-2, but shortly after that the 3rd goal arrived.

Just seen the video from behind the goals of the first penalty I think it's soft, hard to tell for sure though from that camera angle though. Either way it's a mistake from Baird though.. he's managed to push Quitongo wide and he's unlikely to beat the keeper from that angle so no need to slide in.

46 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Just seen the video from behind the goals of the first penalty I think it's soft, hard to tell for sure though from that camera angle though. Either way it's a mistake from Baird though.. he's managed to push Quitongo wide and he's unlikely to beat the keeper from that angle so no need to slide in.

The second pen is poor defending again.. the Morton player takes a bad touch.. Baird barges him when really he just needs to put his body between player and ball. The guy goes down a bit dramatically but it is a penalty. Not a straight red for me but he would have went for 2 yellows anyway.

I stand at the Sinclair street end so had a great view of it. Baird tripped quitongo just before he got a shot away.

Thought Morton were well worth their victory, and even after we equalised I didn't think we'd win.

Both penalties were certainly ones that I've seen given before, so as much as I'd like to blame them on Collum, I'm afraid Baird has to take the flak in this instance.

Onwards and upwards. Hopefully.

36 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Controversial because it involved that useless wee scrote Willie Collum he hates us, maybe we should start a petition...:whistle

So absolutely no credible foundation in the controversial claim then. What a surprise.

Archived