Morton v st mirren Renfrewshire Derby

That was extremely pleasing.

By no means a perfect performance, but comprehensive and ultimately well deserved.

Both teams were absolutely chronic going forward at times, but both of our goals form open play were very well taken and nicely worked.

Special mention to the greeting-faced wee b*****d Stelios.

On a less animous note: what happened with the fan that got stretchered off? Is he okay?

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty even first half for me stone wall pen then a cracker from smith second half another stone waller then we seemed to sit off for 10 to 15 before going 3 - 1  ahead and pretty much game over decent crowd from the mirren pity your team did'nt turn up shame. 

Anyway 4 - 1 pleasing.

Never good to lose a derby, but I don't think the management, players or fans should be overly despondent.

Losing two penalties and going down to 10 men was always going to make it difficult; and not a huge surprise that Morton managed to score another couple as they exploited the gaps when we pushed forward.

Looking at the bit of the game when it was 11 v 11 our biggest weakness seemed to be McShane.  Don't like singling players out, but he's the kind of guy that can do the basics most of the time, but doesn't offer much creativity and can also hit the odd woeful pass when under no pressure.

Replace him with who should be there, Magennis, and I think we'll see a completely different shape and momentum in the team.

Far far too early in the season to start to panic.

Best part was the boy in the tracksuit pacing the front of the WDE like some sort of caged lion when we went 1-0 up, stopping every so often to shout "abuse" at the Shed. Didn't see where he went in the second half, hope he gets home ok... :lol: 

I was surprised at the difference between the teams today even when 11 v 11, I really expected more from the Midden. We are still very short on fitness in quite a few areas (due to players coming back from injury) but it didn't look like that today. I appreciate that a derby makes a difference and the sending off didn't help you lot, but I thought you were poor and we probably should have won by more.
On the sending off, I'm obviously going to say it but I thought it was a stonewall pen and red - intentionally took the player, stopping a goal scoring opportunity.
i think it was just a bad day at the office for you & after last weeks results probably thought today would be any easy 3 points? Early days.

Can't argue with too much there, however I certainly wasn't expecting an easy three points. The doubts first started setting in when you lot were telling us you'd been pretty poor so far and we should expect a win, that's when you just know it's going to go all horribly wrong!

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ffs. Back down to earth after last week.

I thought they stopped sending players off for conceding penalties (violent conduct aside) but no point dwelling.

Revenge for april; let the Gregg Wallace jpegs commence.

Rather than violent conduct, isn't it about whether it is a deliberate attempt to stop a goal scoring opportunity? I'd say the first was mistimed but the second was deliberate and desperate.

Assuming he did get a yellow for the first, which it appears he did, he'd have gone anyway, but I think a straight red was probably justified for the second.

Excellent afternoon's work though. No failures at all, but the spine of the team was fantastic. Gaston was a different man with cross balls, O'Ware was imperious having missed the whole pre-season, no need to tell anyone my thoughts on Tidser, and Quitongo had his best game in a Morton jersey. For a striker who doesn't score goals, he's magnificent. Credit too to Murdoch and Lamie, who were also excellent.

Enjoying my beer tonight.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Forgot about Gaston. That's the best I've seen him when it comes to coming for the ball. Had a hairy moment in the first half but nothing too worrying, and had a couple of cracking takes in there.

I think it was more down to Ian McShane being absolutely gash at corners.

Congratulations to Morton happy days in Greenock tonight so enjoy.                                                                                                Will look at the video for the second penalty have a feeling the ref called it wrong add to that we are down to 10 men which was the game changer. Still you cant take away the good win for Morton had it been us we would have been jumping for joy. 

On 8/7/2017 at 22:36, Demented Zebra said:

Can see us scoring 4 or 5 goals on Saturday, need to check the odds for a fine payday:)

Well that went well bawbag.

Archived