St Johnstone v Partick Thistle

RandomGuy.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Radford said:

Not nearly good enough from Saints. Defended poorly and didn't create anything approaching enough; don't think there was a single shot on target.

Apart from that brilliant diving save in the first half......

Second goal was a peach and I loved the way Thistle time wasted, saints could learn from that.

Second goal was a peach and I loved the way Thistle time wasted, saints could learn from that.

No better way to waste time late in a match than by scoring a 90th minute goal.

35 minutes ago, Radford said:

Not nearly good enough from Saints. Defended poorly and didn't create anything approaching enough; don't think there was a single shot on target.

Davidson's flick from Wotherspoon's cross in the first half if that counts. 

On the train now and a few notes of reflection about our performance. That's the worst I've seen our defence play individually and as a unit in a very long time. Foster and Anderson in particular were dreadful. I'd be tempted to drop Foster as I think he's had a very poor start to the season, both in Europe and in the friendly matches. 

The only player willing to put his foot on the ball and try and create anything, particularly after we went 2-0 behind, was Wotherspoon. Some of our players stood in front of centre backs, others hid behind their markers, but Spoony actually gave the full backs an option. We really missed Millar tonight for that very reason. As much as I like Craig, Davidson and Paton, they all offer roughly the same thing in the middle of the park and we don't really have anyone else even remotely like Millar when he's not available. Looking longer term, I'd hope we rectify that by replacing one of the above 3 with a similar player to Millar next summer. 

Cummins just doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. I used to feel sorry for him, but I am sick of him missing great chances at times when we really need a goal. The argument in his defence is at least he gets in the positions to miss chances and he does offer us a decent target, but the negatives outweighs the positives for me. I'm not saying dump him now, but we need a more reliable finisher than he (and Kane) currently is. He has a year left on his contract. If he doesn't improve his finishing, there's no way he should be offered a new one. 

Great save, but macca was offside, so no shots on target that I can remember. The sooner we stop trying to play Macca as a loan striker, the better. It makes us so toothless, pedestrian and predictable.

Better team won no doubt - Thistle always impress me in Perth, probably because we generally sit off in the middle and allow you to pass round us. The failure to even hit the target by Ando and Cummins with their chances was criminal. Thought Cummins getting cleaned out was a penalty as well - defender got caught the wrong side and shoved him over.

I must be in the minority, but I thought it looked like a clear penalty. Nisbet got to the ball first and Ando (after his customary split second pause to try to settle himself before trying to kick the ball with his left foot) seemed to catch him.

Second goal was a cracking finish by Edwards, but he was given so much time and space to pick his spot. 3rd was a good finish too. I actually thought Nisbet wasn't too bad - decent movement and link up play, but his shooting was honking.

I thought Nisbet was alright too. I'd add decision making as something else he needs to work on however. A couple of times in the first half he made the wrong choice in front of goal. 

Good to see that RandomGuy is taking the result well...

It's a weekly thing, you'd see it more often if you weren't waffling around with the likes of Morton.

Glad I decided to go tonight. We probably edged the first half, but second half was excellent. That was never a penalty, but since we never get them anyway, I'll take it. That changed the game and we were reasonably comfortable after that, bar a couple of Saints chances they really should have taken. Like others have said, Anderson had a horror show tonight. Was it him who missed the free header as well?

Fair play to Nisbet who I thought did well tonight. Had Azeez levels of finishing, but he worked hard and did a good job of holding the ball up. Erskine was the best player on the park, and I was really impressed with Turnbull as well.

We might just limit Celtic to 4 on Friday #dreams

Saints were thoroughly awful. Partick not much better in honesty in the first half.

Second half Thistle were excellent. Totally deserved the win and the margin of it.

Unsure about the penalty but goals 2 and 3 were excellent from their point of view.

I'm a wee bit angry with the Saints performance but again absolute credit to Thistle and good luck to them in the next round.

We really missed Millar tonight for that very reason. As much as I like Craig, Davidson and Paton, they all offer roughly the same thing in the middle of the park and we don't really have anyone else even remotely like Millar when he's not available. Looking longer term, I'd hope we rectify that by replacing one of the above 3 with a similar player to Millar next summer. 

Another issue we've had for well over a season. Reliant on a ageing midfielder who spends most of the season in the stand. We've needed to replace him and MacLean for four windows now, or at least someone who looks like they could develop into a replacement. For some bizarre reason the only players we've signed in those roles in the past twelve months are Paul Paton and the random stock of youths who never progress.

Poor referring, poor finishing from saints, clinical finishing from Partick and an absolute screamer from Edwards. Sums it up, no complaints apart from the fact I'm not sure it was a 3-0 margin win, but we deserved nothing. Well in Partick, go and win the bloody thing now so I don't feel so annoyed.

20 minutes ago, DazzJag said:

Still pissing myself laughing at St Johnstone fans booing our 'professional' behaviour from last night. Especially from big Abdul.

I'm still laughing at radio Scotland comments about us being two very similar teams who tend to cancel each other out, so to expect a drab 1-0 encounter.

Still pissing myself laughing at St Johnstone fans booing our 'professional' behaviour from last night. Especially from big Abdul.

It was hilarious tbh, lay on the ground holding his ankle, game kept going so grabbed his head, then walked off holding his shoulder.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I actually took all of it as a compliment.

Archived