Your clubs worst boardroom blunders

John Wilson selling the club to Hugh Scott in the late 90s. Many had him marked as an asset-stripper from the start, other were willing to give him a chance. By 2001 we were in administration. There followed some sort of fake purchase by Mike Peden before he finally sold to Douglas Rae.

When HS finally departed there was next to f**k-all left at Cappielow - we didn't even have a full set of strips. To quote DDFR - "we didn't even have a kettle".

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

Used to think Ayr Utd made a blunder with David Murray. History has proved the old board right. Murray would have destroyed Ayr Utd and walked away.

See Gretna.

For everyone 20p Kilmarnock put down, we'll put down 25.

On 05/08/2017 at 01:16, The Saintee said:

Failing to capitalise on the feel good factor after the cup final win.

Huge opportunity missed.

Compared to ICT I think you got off lightly...

There's definitely something in the suggestion that we really failed to capitalise on winning the Scottish Cup in 2014.

After the parade the club virtually fell asleep and probably lost out on any feel good factor there was in the City from casual and fairweather fans.

Had the club been properly proactive immediately after, selling merchandise in the City Centre, maybe setting up pop up shops to sell Season Tickets etc then there might have been a bigger bounce than we saw.

I do think that we have a fairly decent support number wise given the size of Perth but that was the opportunity to maybe pull in even an extra few hundred fans and it'll be forever lost.

For us, the Rangers vote in 2012 stands out.  Not only was it cast in favour of putting Rangers straight into the second tier, but it followed a big on-line consultation process that indicated virtually unanimously that fans wanted the club to vote differently.  The decision was then followed by a statement which was full of contradictions, errors and holes.  A dreadful and damaging episode.

Another highlight involves a previous regime in the early nineties.  An away fixture at East Stirling had had, for some reason, its kick-off time moved to 2 o'clock.  No information to this effect was put out down here at all though in those pre-internet days.  When travelling supporters turned up at half-time and protested, our club said it was the responsibility of the supporters to phone the host club to check kick-off times.

Ok. Admin stuff is obvious but will add some that many perhaps won't know/forgot about.

- Callum Woods coming on as a sub against Stenhousemuir in the Scottish Cup. We were already 4-0 up and went on to win 7-1 - but Mr Woods was ineligible. We definitely should have been kicked out of the competition but were bizarrely ordered to play a "replay" at Ochilview. We got through that (eventually) and got a nice pay day against Celtic at EEP.

-The club having a direct dialogue with "Brian" of dafc.net infamy. They would call him up if anything was posted on the website that they did not approve of.

-The club's former finance director(?) bemoaning a low crowd against Aberdeen in a pre-season friendly because we'd had almost 10,000 through the door last time. Last time was a Scottish Cup quarter-final. He didn't see why both matches wouldn't draw similar numbers. I'm being 100% honest about this one, I swear.

5 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

-The club's former finance director(?) bemoaning a low crowd against Aberdeen in a pre-season friendly because we'd had almost 10,000 through the door last time. Last time was a Scottish Cup quarter-final. He didn't see why both matches wouldn't draw similar numbers. I'm being 100% honest about this one, I swear.

I don't know if it's true but but, allegedly, Danny Blanchflower's (I think) auto biography had a chapter entitled 'What The Average Director Knows About Football' followed by several blank pages. I really hope it's true because it should be.

On 8/5/2017 at 10:15, jupe1407 said:

4. Ron Dixon - Another absolute mentalist running the club, this time in the early 90s. Some of his more extreme plans included an ice rink linked to a new 8000 seater "Derry" linked by a bridge over Dens Road. Installed a greyhound track which was a shambles. He totally lost interest, visiting about once or twice a year. An absolute fucking fantasist.

Sounds like you got Dick Ronson instead mate.

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

followed a big on-line consultation process that indicated virtually unanimously that fans wanted to club to vote differently.  The decision was then followed by a statement which was full of contradictions, errors and holes.  A dreadful and damaging episode.

See Johnston, Michael.

Archived