Jump to content
Benny The Fish

Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Recommended Posts

I see the supporters club named Jed as their man of the match. I would agree with this, though if Stephen had been on for the whole game, he may have got my vote. He had an impact on the game as soon as he came on as sub.

This and last season Jed has been consistently good for Musselburgh,so we'll done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last two home games have just resulted in one goal, whilst we still seem to be able to score for fun away!

However, a win is all we need at this time, and with Fauldhouse surprisingly not winning yesterday, we are just being them by 2 goals.

Although we only won one nil, Apart from two spells in the first half, Didn't think the game was in doubt.

Great goal by Jed, and we seemed to play all the better when Stephen McDonald came on in the second half. Also great that we had another shut out, so in seven games league only conceded in two of these games.

Up to Dundee next week to meet Downfield, and hopefully another three points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weekend approaching, and our away day up to Dundee.

Downfield have won their last 2 home league matches whilst Musselburgh have won all 3 of their away league matches.

In 4 home league games, 20 goals scored at Downfield, whilst our 3 away games have witnessed 13 goals; so on paper, it looks as if could be an exciting game.  Hope we come away with all 3 points to keep up with The Hoose and in front of our other rivals Haddington.

All best to Sahndy and his eam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under 2 hours to kick off and a few of us savouring 2 new ventures - a trip over the new Bridge and a visit to Dundee Downfield. Looking for 3 points and don't care where the goals come from.

Mon the Burgh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neck and neck between the Hoose and the Mussy with both showing good 3:1 away wins today.

Interesting top of the table battle this year may the best team win.....go the Hoose though!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neck and neck between the Hoose and the Mussy with both showing good 3:1 away wins today.
Interesting top of the table battle this year may the best team win.....go the Hoose though!!
 

Indeed fu! I'll say more later, on this, but a good result for both teams and even better that the 3rd place team got beat.

So with a quarter of league season behind us, both relegated teams are heading in the right direction for straight return to the Super League.

Mon the Burgh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came away from Dundee with another win and 3 points. Musselburgh were in control of the first half but it looked like the teams would go in at 0-0 until The Burgh got a free kick just outside the penalty box in the last minute. Conor Thomson then scored with a peach of a shot in the top left of the keeper's net.

2nd half started the same with Musselburgh on the attack and 10 minutes in Burgh went 2-0 up with Stephen McDonald scrambling in the goal. Lots of unhappy Downfield players shouting at the ref and linesman which resulted in the goalkeeper being sent off for something said.

Sub goalie came on, and as described by himself, so no offense intended, he was rather of the plump side, with 'eating too many jelly babies'.

However, instead of going 3 nil down soon after, he made a first class save in the middle of the penalty area.

Downfield got a goal out of nothing with Ally once again being a numpty! Why he continues to think he is an old type 'sweeper' is beyond me! Yet once again he comes so far out the box that when Musselburgh lost the ball a Downfield player shoots from way outside the penalty box, over Ally and into the net. What an idiot!

Musselburgh got a 3rd in injury time for a well deserved victory!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four out of four away wins in the league this seasons, so can't give Musselburgh enough praise the way these games are going.

First half was all Musselburgh, but no goals to show until Conor's superb free kick in last minute of the first half. The thing is, however, we could easily have scored 3 or 4 goals before then, but on a few occasions when there was a player in the box and un-marked, instead of an easy pass, and probably a goal, the player on the ball decided to have a shot at goal, but none of these came off. Particularly in Mathu's case, you could see the frustration coming out,  but at least we went in 1-0 up.

No let up in play in the 2nd half, and we were shooting down the small slope, though not sure if any advantage there, as Musselburgh were in complete control for most of the match!. We went in 2 up, with Stephen getting the goal, but it looked like Downfield were playing as if to say the ball didn't go over the line. A wee chat between the ref and the linesman resulted in the goalkeeper being sent off.

You would then think game over, but then allowances have to be made for Super Ally (not!). On two previous occasions - once away to Pumpherston in a Scottish Cup replay, and another at Olivebank, (team escapes me), Ally is so far out of his goal area, that opponent tries a cheeky chip and ball goes over his head and in the net. Low and behold, he gets a hat-trick with the same happening again.

How Ally doesn't stay in his goal area particularly with what has gone on before, beats me. Indeed, how the management/ coaching staff don't shout at him for his incompetence is beyond me as well. 

So, from being in total control of the game, Downfield started to play a lot better after that goal, and played with belief that they could get an equaliser. Thankfully that wasn't the case, and Ralton got goal in last minute for  3-1 victory.

First time at Downfield, and so far, the easiest of grounds to find after travelling up to Dundee. So, a good experience, and having only dropped 2 points in the first 8 league game, we move on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 out of our last four games have seen us up at St Andrews twice and at Dundee yesterday. Quite a bit of travelling!

So, it is good that our next 4 games, are all in East Lothian - with 2 cup games and 2 league games coming up, starting with a Scottish Cup tie, against Newburgh on Saturday! Hopefully with the results so far, we get a big crowd to cheer the team on and progress to the next round round!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New betting odds see Musselburgh as favs to win the league, just ahead of The Hoose. Pre-season joint favs, Tranent, dropping down the listing after another loss yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

You would then think game over, but then allowances have to be made for Super Ally (not!). On two previous occasions - once away to Pumpherston in a Scottish Cup replay, and another at Olivebank, (team escapes me), Ally is so far out of his goal area, that opponent tries a cheeky chip and ball goes over his head and in the net. Low and behold, he gets a hat-trick with the same happening again.

How Ally doesn't stay in his goal area particularly with what has gone on before, beats me. Indeed, how the management/ coaching staff don't shout at him for his incompetence is beyond me as well. 

 

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 02:19, Toffee fan said:

Downfield got a goal out of nothing with Ally once again being a numpty! Why he continues to think he is an old type 'sweeper' is beyond me! Yet once again he comes so far out the box that when Musselburgh lost the ball a Downfield player shoots from way outside the penalty box, over Ally and into the net. What an idiot!
 

Morning folks. Hope it's alright to post here. 

Looking forward to the Scottish next week and bringing my daughter to her 1st official Musselburgh game.

I can't help but notice the negative posts towards the goal keeper. I dont agree with some of the posts. Having watched him for years he has saved many more goals than lost. I don't keep this season's stats but he has only lost more than 1 goal once since the Junior Final for Mussey.

I think his starting position (judging by the posts) is high up the park. But i am sure that stops your defenders From dropping too deep and inviting pressure?

Defence wise you Must be one of the best so far this season so maybe a bit harsh on him?

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morning folks. Hope it's alright to post here. 
Looking forward to the Scottish next week and bringing my daughter to her 1st official Musselburgh game.
I can't help but notice the negative posts towards the goal keeper. I dont agree with some of the posts. Having watched him for years he has saved many more goals than lost. I don't keep this season's stats but he has only lost more than 1 goal once since the Junior Final for Mussey.
I think his starting position (judging by the posts) is high up the park. But i am sure that stops your defenders From dropping too deep and inviting pressure?
Defence wise you Must be one of the best so far this season so maybe a bit harsh on him?
Anyway good luck for the rest of the season

Musselburgh's defense has been magnificent this season. In 8 league games we have only conceded 4 goals and have had 5 shut outs in these matches which is the best in the whole East Region this season. Ally has played a big part in this, but equally so has the rest of his defensive team-mates.

I come on here each week and give my assessment of matches and there are far more positive responses than negatives. It would be good if more supporters come on here as well, and then you would be able to get a more balanced view of what fans think.

You don't have to agree with my comments Faceman and I accept that. However, how many Musselburgh games have you been at this season? I have been to 8 out of our 9 competitive matches and see the strengths and weaknesses of the team week in, week out.

Ally is a good goalkeeper and can be relied upon to make good saves/stops, including a couple of great saves in our last home against Thornton.

Equally he has weaknesses; two of which are, i. poor kicking, either out of play or too far ahead of the forward line; ii; coming too far out of the goal area. This isn't new as he did same in first stint at club. If you still have your recordings of matches filmed at Olivebank, watch them and then come back and tell me if I'm wrong.

Downfield were poor on Saturday but conceding the goal as we did allowed them back in the match for a time. No doubt if Ally had remained in his penalty area that would not have occurred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Faceman said:

 

Morning folks. Hope it's alright to post here. 

Looking forward to the Scottish next week and bringing my daughter to her 1st official Musselburgh game.

I can't help but notice the negative posts towards the goal keeper. I dont agree with some of the posts. Having watched him for years he has saved many more goals than lost. I don't keep this season's stats but he has only lost more than 1 goal once since the Junior Final for Mussey.

I think his starting position (judging by the posts) is high up the park. But i am sure that stops your defenders From dropping too deep and inviting pressure?

Defence wise you Must be one of the best so far this season so maybe a bit harsh on him?

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season

Nope!  What that does is to invite players to have a pop at goal from 40 yards out, and if on target, no matter how hard/soft the shot is, it's a goal as was on Saturday. It then put us under pressure for a spell of 10 minutes, when there was no danger of that prior to this incident.

Not doubting the performance of the defence who have been great all season. but no point in coming on and just talking about the good points. 

That's what I like about the manager of an East Region team, who, if asked a question or sees a comment,  comes on here and gives an honest assessment of how his team performed. Same goes for K A who praises the team that he supports to the hilt; but not afraid to say when things don't go to plan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Nope!  What that does is to invite players to have a pop at goal from 40 yards out, and if on target, no matter how hard/soft the shot is, it's a goal as was on Saturday. It then put us under pressure for a spell of 10 minutes, when there was no danger of that prior to this incident.

Not doubting the performance of the defence who have been great all season. but no point in coming on and just talking about the good points. 

That's what I like about the manager of an East Region team, who, if asked a question or sees a comment,  comes on here and gives an honest assessment of how his team performed. Same goes for K A who praises the team that he supports to the hilt; but not afraid to say when things don't go to plan.

 

I don't understand the last paragraph but can't argue that everyone gives an honest assessment.

I do though think calling any player incompetent and another poster calling him an idiot in the posts above is wrong and the reason I posted.

You have highlighted 3 games where the keeper has been beaten by distance,

like you I can't remember one of them -

Saturday's one didn't really matter (granted a bit of pressure but still v 10 men) and won by 2 clear goals

And the Pumpherston one  - the game was long gone and In truth the striker could try that a 1000 times again and not score. 

He has played close to 150 games - reached 2 junior cup finals - played a huge part in 1 and has saved countless shots etc 

You and Toffee are more than entitled to your view but personal comments I thought were a bit strong.

Anyway looking forward to seeing goals at the other end on Saturday and bringing a future Burgh player (if they get a lasses team) Down with me.

Good luck for the rest of the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Faceman said:

I don't understand the last paragraph but can't argue that everyone gives an honest assessment.

I do though think calling any player incompetent and another poster calling him an idiot in the posts above is wrong and the reason I posted.

You have highlighted 3 games where the keeper has been beaten by distance,

like you I can't remember one of them -

Saturday's one didn't really matter (granted a bit of pressure but still v 10 men) and won by 2 clear goals

And the Pumpherston one  - the game was long gone and In truth the striker could try that a 1000 times again and not score. 

He has played close to 150 games - reached 2 junior cup finals - played a huge part in 1 and has saved countless shots etc 

You and Toffee are more than entitled to your view but personal comments I thought were a bit strong.

Anyway looking forward to seeing goals at the other end on Saturday and bringing a future Burgh player (if they get a lasses team) Down with me.

Good luck for the rest of the season

Maybe my wording was a tad suspect, but the sentiment doesn't change. I will answer your points, and say no more, whether or not you respond to this.

You are taught / told when you are growing up that it is okay to  make mistakes, as this is one of the best way of learning.  However, if you may the same mistake again, then that it careless. If it happens a third time....Ally simply doesn't learn from his mistakes.

I moved to Musselburgh in 2002, and  have supported the team ever since. I go to most games, and I know from your previous posts that you have been a supporter of Musselburgh since you were a boy.

Name me one time, never mind on three occasions,since 2002 (I can't go further back than that), that a goal has been scored in the way I have described, other than when Ally was the keeper? I can think of none!

You are wrong to say Saturday's didn't matter.  Yes the final score was 3-1. However, we were coasting at 2-0, but when that goal went in, for the period thereafter, Downfield raised their game with every opportunity of getting an equaliser. All ifs and buts, but if Ally had stayed in his goal area, there would have been no worries.

A goalkeeper should make countless saves, or why else is he playing in that position. As said before, defence, including Ally have been great this year, and his deputy, who has also played 2 competitive matches and not conceded a goal in either.

The bit you don't understand (?) - Your friend JC at Fauldhouse.  Go back through and look at his comments, particularly the one when replying to a post about last week's match up at St Andrews. Also look at K1nky Afro's posts mainly with St Roch's and previously with Fauldhouse. K A, for me,  is probably the best poster on P&B, and what he ad JC do is to tell it as it is. Both are very passionate about the teams they support, but are not afraid to speak out when things aren't going their way for their team. 

I am also passionate about Musselburgh, and again correct me if you think I am wrong, but I praise our club far more than any criticisms, and come on here most weeks and give my honest assessment about the game I have watched.

Enjoy the  game on Saturday - it will be nice for you to see a good team play this season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Maybe my wording was a tad suspect, but the sentiment doesn't change. I will answer your points, and say no more, whether or not you respond to this.

You are taught / told when you are growing up that it is okay to  make mistakes, as this is one of the best way of learning.  However, if you may the same mistake again, then that it careless. If it happens a third time....Ally simply doesn't learn from his mistakes.

I moved to Musselburgh in 2002, and  have supported the team ever since. I go to most games, and I know from your previous posts that you have been a supporter of Musselburgh since you were a boy.

Name me one time, never mind on three occasions,since 2002 (I can't go further back than that), that a goal has been scored in the way I have described, other than when Ally was the keeper? I can think of none!

You are wrong to say Saturday's didn't matter.  Yes the final score was 3-1. However, we were coasting at 2-0, but when that goal went in, for the period thereafter, Downfield raised their game with every opportunity of getting an equaliser. All ifs and buts, but if Ally had stayed in his goal area, there would have been no worries.

A goalkeeper should make countless saves, or why else is he playing in that position. As said before, defence, including Ally have been great this year, and his deputy, who has also played 2 competitive matches and not conceded a goal in either.

The bit you don't understand (?) - Your friend JC at Fauldhouse.  Go back through and look at his comments, particularly the one when replying to a post about last week's match up at St Andrews. Also look at K1nky Afro's posts mainly with St Roch's and previously with Fauldhouse. K A, for me,  is probably the best poster on P&B, and what he ad JC do is to tell it as it is. Both are very passionate about the teams they support, but are not afraid to speak out when things aren't going their way for their team. 

I am also passionate about Musselburgh, and again correct me if you think I am wrong, but I praise our club far more than any criticisms, and come on here most weeks and give my honest assessment about the game I have watched.

Enjoy the  game on Saturday - it will be nice for you to see a good team play this season!

No worries, I always respond especially to an Excellent post like your last one.

Regarding the player. My issue was more about the use Of the words incompetent and another poster calling him an idiot, 

We can discuss till we are blue in the face our view on him as a player. I would concede the truth is somewhere In the middle. I think it's easy to see when his positioning costs goals but by the same token harder to see when he has intercepted a through ball which may have been a goal if he stayed on his line (if that makes sense)

We can agree on the rest of your post x10. No Hiding any passion In that post and equally add a fair mix of positive in there as well. 

We can end with your point about crazy goals. Had to think tbf. The best 1 I can think on was v Dundonald. We played them the week before and they mauled us....but Mussey won 3-0! The following week they best us 5-2 or 5-3 and their first goal was.... Musselburgh taking centre passing it to the left back area then the left back passing it back to the keeper but finding the top corner! Peach of a finish to be fair! Not got my books anymore but think Del was In goal.

At the other end the goal Musselburgh scored v Tayport a few years ago with Brian nipping the ball from their keeper tops them all! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Saturday, 22 East Region teams take part in the 1st round of the Scottish Junior Cup. A max of 17 of these can progress to round 2, depending on results.

Musselburgh play in one of these ties, so hope we are in the 2nd round draw. Good luck to the other East Region teams involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah - soon be football time!

Tomorrow's warm up is watching a wee derby match in the pub - 12(noon) kick off between Rangers and Celtic.

Then the main event is at 2:30pm at Olivebank - Scottish Junior Cup first round - Musselburgh v Newburgh.

What will the score be and who is going to be The 1934 Club's man of the match? - The previous two recipients have been Jed Davie and Connor Thomson - wonder if the other fans agreed? - I did with Jed.  Maybe Connor's goal last week got him the award, but I would have given it to Mathu King - might be the oldest player in the team - but he did the most running about, and getting into good positions.

Hopefully a lot of locals will be doing the same and watching both matches!

Mon the Burgh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck to the Burgh in the cup tomorrow!

Hope you have a long successful cup run this year. Oh don't take your eye off the league if you do the Hoose will get away from you now!!!!

Edited by fu punter
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good luck to the Burgh in the cup tomorrow!
Hope you have a long successful cup run this year. Oh don't take your eye off the league if you do the Hoose will get away from you now!!!!

Ha ha. Come on pal! Nae gloating if you win tomorrow and move 3 clear in front of us! Think you will do it though so all best against Blackburn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×