Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

12 minutes ago, brycey said:

mone the burnie lol

You’re more of a moan than eny wan!

ive red thro ure resent posts brycey and a think yay are a closit Burgh fan - yeah! So stoap hidin behynd yon Falldhoose teem, and tell eveyoan whae yeah relay support!

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest brycey
7 minutes ago, Toffee fan said:

You’re more of a moan than eny wan!

ive red thro ure resent posts brycey and a think yay are a closit Burgh fan - yeah! So stoap hidin behynd yon Falldhoose teem, and tell eveyoan whae yeah relay support!

no me buddy the hoose r ma teem in the junyers 

Another league win today, beating Whitburn 3-1. So, 38 points out of 42 is some going. Players / management team should be well satisfied with that!

Stange decisions by the ref today; the main one being how Michael Moffat got a straight red in th first half whilst the Whitburn player involved; Thomson ( I think), wasn’t even spoken to, even though he kicked out at Michael in the first place!

Funny moment in the second half was when the far-side linesman was spoken to by the ref, to such an extent that I thought he was going to be the first linesman ever booked at Olivbank! There was I thinking he had an outstanding match supporting the man in the middle!

Supporters man of match was Jed Davie. Can’t argue with that. Don’t think there was an outstanding performance from any player today, but I would have gone for Gary Cherie, who had a fine match.

Guest brycey
7 hours ago, Toffee fan said:

Another league win today, beating Whitburn 3-1. So, 38 points out of 42 is some going. Players / management team should be well satisfied with that!

Stange decisions by the ref today; the main one being how Michael Moffat got a straight red in th first half whilst the Whitburn player involved; Thomson ( I think), wasn’t even spoken to, even though he kicked out at Michael in the first place!

Funny moment in the second half was when the far-side linesman was spoken to by the ref, to such an extent that I thought he was going to be the first linesman ever booked at Olivbank! There was I thinking he had an outstanding match supporting the man in the middle!

Supporters man of match was Jed Davie. Can’t argue with that. Don’t think there was an outstanding performance from any player today, but I would have gone for Gary Cherie, who had a fine match.

38 pints oota 42 is crackin  form by ony standard toffee so weel dun today a c eer keeper hus been dun for 5 games n declan fir twae n anither sendin off today ees will hae tae keep the heed tho as ad rether ees hud a foo squawd when the hoose cum thru lol  

9 hours ago, Toffee fan said:

The other strange decision was the penalty award that turned the game in Musselburgh's favour. It was never a penalty, then to compound his mistake, after the penalty was saved, he allowed the goal to stand despite the scorer being at least 3 metres inside the box when it was taken.

The linesman was flagging for everything when he was only there to flag when the ball is out for a throw. He was spoken to about this by the ref, but minutes later the flag was up again, trying to influence the ref to give offside against a Whitburn attacker. Strangely he didn't flag for offsides in the first half when Musselburgh were attacking.

First match of 2018 took place at a very cold Olivebank with Whitburn the visitors.

Busy start to the match with both teams having possession of the ball, but little goalmouth action.

First goal came in the ninth minute. Following a period of passing by Musselburgh players, from just inside the Whitburn half, Gary Cherrie floated a pass into the Whitburn goal area. Mathu King was unmarked and back headed the ball over the goalkeeper and into the net. Whitburn defenders were calling for offside, but the goal stood.

First two corners of the match came in quick succession in 14 minutes of match for Whitburn, but nothing came of these. Musselburgh, then took the ball up the park. From a throw in on the right hand side, ball eventually fell to Jed Davie, who from 25 yards out blasted a low shot just passed the Whitburn left hand post. Just after this, Stephen McDonald had another attempt for Musselburgh, again, the ball passing just wide of the goals.

In 21 minutes, Musselburgh had the ball in the net. A move on the right hand side, saw King with the ball in the goal area and his cross/shot on target was tapped in by MacDonald, but the whistle had been blown for offside. A minute later, with the other end of the park, Jordan Thomson had a shot from outside the box, but this was way off target and didn’t trouble the Musselburgh goalkeeper.

Musselburgh should have gone 2-0 up in 25 minutes, when play at he the Whitburn goal area fell to King, but somehow he managed to miss the target when right in front of the Whitburn goal area. First booking of match came in 31 minutes, when Whitburn were attacking down the right wing. Ball went out for a goal kick, and after Brad Donaldson, appeared to kick the ball, when out of play, he was booked. One of a number of strange bookings by the ref, but maybe Brad said something which I never heard.

Whitburn equaliser came in 37 minutes. From a free kick, ball fell to Darren Toaszeski, whose cross from the left hand side of goal area was met by J Thomson who scored.

A couple of minutes later, Seun Murphy had a shot for Musselburgh, but ball went passed the post.  Then in 43 minute, MacDonald was crudely brought down at the half way line by Grant Hamilton, to earn the Whitburn no. 4 a booking. The free kick was played into the Whitburn goal area, and header from Donaldson went just wide of right hand post. 

Just before half time, Michael Moffat was shown a straight red card. Ball was played down the left wing and Andy Thomson tackled Moffat, resulting in a wee strammash, with Thomson on the ground but his legged rapped around Moffat’s left leg. Thomson appeared to kick out at Moffat, who made a forward motion without any contact. Result was Moffat being sent off and no action against Thomson. Strange decision! So 1-1 at half time.

Whitburn had a lot of possession in the match but their shots at goal were sadly poor. In the first 5 minutes of 2nd half, 2 shots both went high over Musselburgh bar. In 55 minutes J Thomson earned a booking for Whitburn for obstructing Asher Tufail. Four minutes later Connor McQueenie was then booked for a tackle on a Musselburgh player.

In 61 minutes King had another chance to make it 2-1 for Musselburgh, when in the penalty area, he was on goal, but his next touch was poor and put out for a goal kick, when a shot on target seemed easier! However, 2nd goal came 6 minutes later, when Musselburgh were awarded a penalty when Bradley Whyte was brought down in the box. King missed the penalty, but MacDonald was straight on the rebound from the keeper’s save to place the ball in the net. Just after this, Whyte was substituted, with Conor Thomson coming on.

A minute after going down 2-1, McQueenie received his 2nd booked, and sent off for Whitburn, presumably for speaking back to ref. Demi Taylor, soon followed with a booking for the away team. Although it wasn’t a dirty match, bookings seemed to be a plenty!

In 79 minutes, Donaldson received his 2nd yellow card and a the 2nd sending off for Musselburgh. Again it appeared to be something he said to the ref, following goal mouth action in the Burgh goal area. 

The next 3 minutes saw King and Murphy being substituted for Chis Gray and Ewen Ralton, with Toaszeski booked for a tackle.

Musselburgh’s 3rd goal came from a corner in 85 minutes. Thomson took the corner, with the goalkeeper coming out but not connecting with the ball, which then appeared to come off a Whitburn player and dribble into the net. 3-1 and game over!

Not a vintage performance by Musselburgh, so 3-1 result was very pleasing, and moves Musselburgh 8 points clear at the top of the Premier League. Whitburn will be in trouble at season end unless they get their scoring boots on. They had a number of shots which didn’t trouble Tufail at all in the Musselburgh goal area.

The supporters man of the match award was given to Jed Davie for another fine performance.

Next week sees Musselburgh travel up to Kirriemuir - currently 2nd bottom of the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, shuggie123 said:

The other strange decision was the penalty award that turned the game in Musselburgh's favour. It was never a penalty, then to compound his mistake, after the penalty was saved, he allowed the goal to stand despite the scorer being at least 3 metres inside the box when it was taken.

The linesman was flagging for everything when he was only there to flag when the ball is out for a throw. He was spoken to about this by the ref, but minutes later the flag was up again, trying to influence the ref to give offside against a Whitburn attacker. Strangely he didn't flag for offsides in the first half when Musselburgh were attacking.

Thought the linesman gave a good account of himself to be truthful! At least he seemed interested in the match, moving up and down the line, and trying to help the ref. At the end of the day, it is the ref who makes the final decisions. I did wonder if the linesman at the dugout side was a cardboard cutout as he never seemed to move in the first/second half. However, maybe it was so cold that he froze on the spot, as his circulation gave up!

Regarding Stephen MacDonald being being 3 meters inside the box when the penalty kick was taken - you are an utter blether! Go onto the Musselburgh Athletic twitter page, and look at the video of the penalty being taken. You will clearly see that after the penalty penalty was taken, Stephen is then seen running into the penalty area, like a 100 metre sprinter, and scores from the rebound. Try and not take too long coming back on to apologies for telling wee porky pies!

3 hours ago, brycey said:

38 pints oota 42 is crackin  form by ony standard toffee so weel dun today a c eer keeper hus been dun for 5 games n declan fir twae n anither sendin off today ees will hae tae keep the heed tho as ad rether ees hud a foo squawd when the hoose cum thru lol  

Think points on the board are most important at this time Brycey. Currently 8 points clear, with the Hoose having a game in hand. We are also 10 points above play-off position, with teams around this area having played same or more games than Musselburgh.

No easy matches in this league, so still a hell of a lot to work on for Musselburgh at this stage in season. However, we have to be pleased at our position coming up to half way stage in games played.

Guest brycey

points oan the board defo important a agree n at this time o yeer theres gonna be mair games oan at olivebank than parkview n thats a big plus for you burra lads toffee

3 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Thought the linesman gave a good account of himself to be truthful! At least he seemed interested in the match, moving up and down the line, and trying to help the ref. At the end of the day, it is the ref who makes the final decisions. I did wonder if the linesman at the dugout side was a cardboard cutout as he never seemed to move in the first/second half. However, maybe it was so cold that he froze on the spot, as his circulation gave up!

Regarding Stephen MacDonald being being 3 meters inside the box when the penalty kick was taken - you are an utter blether! Go onto the Musselburgh Athletic twitter page, and look at the video of the penalty being taken. You will clearly see that after the penalty penalty was taken, Stephen is then seen running into the penalty area, like a 100 metre sprinter, and scores from the rebound. Try and not take too long coming back on to apologies for telling wee porky pies!

Sorry, but I don't do Twitter. Please accept my apology if the video shows otherwise. I obviously got caught up in the excitement.

Perhaps you could review the video at the sending off too. You can then update the match report regarding Moffat's sending off. He clearly had a kick at the Whitburn player when he was on the ground after the "strammash" - unless my eyes were deceiving me at that too.

PS sorry my reply took so long, but I only check in to P&B now and then.

11 minutes ago, shuggie123 said:

Sorry, but I don't do Twitter. Please accept my apology if the video shows otherwise. I obviously got caught up in the excitement.

Perhaps you could review the video at the sending off too. You can then update the match report regarding Moffat's sending off. He clearly had a kick at the Whitburn player when he was on the ground after the "strammash" - unless my eyes were deceiving me at that too.

PS sorry my reply took so long, but I only check in to P&B now and then.

From where you were standing you obviously had a good view of both the penalty and the incident where Michael was sent off. I don’t have sight of the video - apart from the 3 goals, which I think are also on u-tube, so you can view all three if you have access to the internet, without having to touch twitter.

So, I can’t review the sending off. However, I was around 15 yards from the foul committed on Michael. Are you saying that he kicked Thomson, whilst he was on the ground or just kicked out. If the former, then you are wrong. He certainly motioned forward but I didn’t see him actually kick Thomson. Again if you saw it so clearly, you say nothing of Thomson kicking out at Michael; or did that not happen? 

All about opinion and what you see, but since you clearly got Stephen wrongly placed in the box when the penalty was taken, perhaps you only see what you want to see.

All best for rest of season!

23 hours ago, shuggie123 said:

Ref spoke to me because I was looking at my phone - not for excessive flagging.

On 1/7/2018 at 10:08, Casey Jones said:

Thought the linesman gave a good account of himself to be truthful! At least he seemed interested in the match, moving up and down the line, and trying to help the ref. At the end of the day, it is the ref who makes the final decisions.

3 hours ago, Benny The Fish said:

Ref spoke to me because I was looking at my phone

:lol::lol: Juniors are brilliant :lol:

28 minutes ago, Goalie Hamish said:

:lol::lol: Juniors are brilliant :lol:

You are correct Hamish! -And that's why I go.

Had a couple of discussions / arguments with some Whitburn supports during the match about some of the decisions that were made.

Funny thing is that the couple on the left of me moved away - can't think why! However, the guy to the right and I had our 'heated' discussion, then revered to normal football chitchat afterwards - the way it should be!

4 hours ago, Benny The Fish said:

Ref spoke to me because I was looking at my phone - not for excessive flagging.

Hi Benny.  Sometimes supporters just can't help it!

I wonder if it was the same guy that stood to the left of me and my pals.  He was going twenty to the dozen cause you were raising your flag and said all you were there for was to call when the ball went out for a throw in.  So my pal chips in that you have got your 'referee badges' so you are entitled to raise your flag when you wanted too. He then got into an even bigger strop, saying the Whitburn guy on the other side should do likewise.

That would have been fine but I'm not sure if he had the energy to raise his flag in the 1st place!

13 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Agreed, cracking player, good luck to him and hope he stays fit. Absolute b*****d of an injury and 18 months is a long time out.

Great news for Musselburgh Athletic officials and fans alike. Such a shame what happened to Jackie after his move to Linlithgow. To be out for18 months just shows how much rehabilitation Jackie has had to endure.

Supporters of Musselburgh have seen Jackie at Olivebank most home matches, this season, and there has obviously been a lot of hard work and thinking by Jackie to get back to being able to sign again for Musselburgh.

I wish Jackie all the best with his comeback, and can’t wait for him to once again put on the colours of Musselburgh. A magnificent player for us in the past, and hopefully we will enjoy him back in the team for many games to come.

Archived