Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

I was at the game today and that’s not a bad summary. Hurlford’s goal came from a ball in from the right and the striker got across the front of the defender to side foot past the keeper.
The first penalty claim is one of those that if you don’t get it your furious, if it’s given against you, your furious. The second claim I have to agree is a stone waller. Your striker is being cuddled by the defender. The chance you had in the last minute of the second half, you’re being very kind to the striker. It was a sitter and he had two bites at it.
The first sending off was a strange one. It was a foul but never a booking. The second one was worse. The ref has the yellow card in his hand until the stramash started. He then put it away and took out the red. The guy that got sent off was till that point the best player on the park.
For the next twenty minutes you were the better side and deservedly equalised.
Your keeper getting sent off was stupid. I appreciate you said the guy spat on him so on that basis I’d forgive the tackle. However all the credit you deserved was lost when the goalie spat on the guy he tried to split in two. His moral high ground was lost then. You deserved a replay and your number six(till the red), seven, fourteen, seventeen and eighteen were head and shoulders above anything else on the park. And so you know Hurlford’s number six got the winner. Also I was only there as it was the closest game to me that was on so my points are only as I viewed them not based on any club bias.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The referee wasn't ready for a game like today's, changed the game with the first sending-off, got it entirely wrong and then watched the game get further from his control after that.

Hard to maintain control once you've made such a horrendous decision.

23 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

I was at the game today and that’s not a bad summary. Hurlford’s goal came from a ball in from the right and the striker got across the front of the defender to side foot past the keeper.
The first penalty claim is one of those that if you don’t get it your furious, if it’s given against you, your furious. The second claim I have to agree is a stone waller. Your striker is being cuddled by the defender. The chance you had in the last minute of the second half, you’re being very kind to the striker. It was a sitter and he had two bites at it.
The first sending off was a strange one. It was a foul but never a booking. The second one was worse. The ref has the yellow card in his hand until the stramash started. He then put it away and took out the red. The guy that got sent off was till that point the best player on the park.
For the next twenty minutes you were the better side and deservedly equalised.
Your keeper getting sent off was stupid. I appreciate you said the guy spat on him so on that basis I’d forgive the tackle. However all the credit you deserved was lost when the goalie spat on the guy he tried to split in two. His moral high ground was lost then. You deserved a replay and your number six(till the red), seven, fourteen, seventeen and eighteen were head and shoulders above anything else on the park. And so you know Hurlford’s number six got the winner. Also I was only there as it was the closest game to me that was on so my points are only as I viewed them not based on any club bias.

Cheers for these comments.

I don’t disagree with your comments on our goalkeeper. He knew what he was doing, knew it was wrong, by walking without looking, and any one who spits on another player is out of order. But I wrote the lead up to Ally’s sending off, just to say the reason for his actions. Hurlford guy with the first spit should be ashamed.

You mention a number of players who played well for Musselburgh.

My top 3 players were seven - Skip, who for me is most skilful player we have. He may not be man of match each week, but I think he is a great young player. No. 14 Michael, is probably the oldest player in our team. I would age him at around 42, but he Is like a Peter Pan, who never seems to age, and looks about half his age (sorry Michael, if you read this!!).  Also, the amount of running he does each game! My 3rd player was 12 - Brad D, who was our best defender today. No.s 7, 11, 17 and 18, will be the nucleus of our team in future years, should they all stay at Musselburgh. All young, but improving all the time, with the training, skills and knowledge they are getting from our Management team, Calvin, and Geordie.

Yes, we were the better team today, but sometimes you don’t get what you deserve in life. We move on, and stick to our main aim this season, which is a straight return to the East Region Super League next season.

As I said mate, the tackle I’d forgive because of the spit but his spitting back removed his moral high ground. I forgot about the 12. He was tremendous at the back today. I will say though he was lucky to stay on the park. He very clearly put his head into the Hurlford winger right in front of the linesman. That was, in my opinion the ref and linesman levelling out their previous feck ups

10 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

At 5th time of asking 3rd round junior cup tie away to Hurlford finally got the go ahead.

From the line up, it was clear that Musselburgh had only 13 regular team members (including sub goalie) on team bus. This was reduced to 12, when Johnny had to withdraw from the team during the warm up, therefore, could only rely on one of our golden oldies coming on as sub, if required. Of the 11 who started, 2 players had to get out of their sick beds due to the player shortages, in order that a full team started.

None of this will be an excuse in my following comments. The players one the Park were collectively outstanding for Musselburgh, given the circumstances.

First chance fell to Musselburgh in 2 minutes, when awarded a free kick just outside left hand side of box. Dec took the free kick, which was saved by the goalie. Then a couple of minutes later, from a Hurlford corner a header from Fisher went just over bar.

Musselburgh seemed to be taking the match to Hurlford, with a lot of play going through Musselburgh’s right hand side. In 13 minutes, Hurlford had a free kick, which resulted in a header into the Musselburgh box, but came to nothing.

given my age, when you need to go, you gotta go! Perhaps too much detail, but reason noted, was that this was around the 18 minute mark, and I missed Hurlford going 1-0 up. No big screens showing a replay so I hope Musselburgh’s tripod master will have captured the goal through his lens.

In the next 15 minutes Musselburgh had a few good moves, but didn’t trouble the keeper that much. However, in 34 minutes, Musselburgh should have had a chance for an equaliser when there was hand ball in the box, following a cross from the left hand side. Lots of shouts for penalty, but referee never blew his whistle. 

A minute later, Jed was booked for a challenge on McKenzie, just outside the right hand side of the box. Ball soon went out for a corner, but when it was crossed, a Hurlford header flew over the bar!

With 5 mins to go till half time, Robertson had a chance to chip ball in over Ally, but attempt was so weak, Ally picked up ball at his feet. A minute later Musselburgh had another penalty shout when Matti was clearly being held by a defender; again ref not interested. Calvin was so incensed at the decision, that the ref when over to the dugout area to have a work.

In final minute of First half, Ralts put in a good cross into Michael, but his first touch was a bit heavy and keeper able to take control of ball. So 1-0 to Hurlford at half time.

Two minutes into 2nd half, and Musselburgh awarded a free kick, but for reasons known to ref- he books Michael!? It was becoming apparent that this match seemed to be a tough gig for the ref. Maybe he is aiming to high at this stage of his career!

A couple of minutes later, McKenzie had a shot at goal, but I am sure it would have cleared a skyscraper. Bet the birds were glad they were in their nests by this time. A minute later, McKenzie had the ball again, and there was a great move into the Musselburgh box, but Ally had a great diving save to turn the ball away for a corner. Five minutes later there was a high challenge on McKenzie, who obviously remembered cowboys and Indians from his younger days, as he dropped like a pole. However, with the ref not whistling for a foul, the miracle happened and the no.7 got back up just as quick.

A few minutes later, Jed went down with what looked like a head knock. When ball came to Ralts, he blootered the ball out so Jed could receive attention. Brad D was booked for complaining to the ref about the incident. A couple of minutes later, Hurlford took the through in, but fair play awards mustn’t be in fashion in East Ayrshire, as they kept hold of the ball.

Chris was sent off soon after, for a foul that I would not even have given a free kick for. Yet, the Jed incident produced nothing against Hurlford, even when the linesman was close by. Three minutes later, Dec received a straight red for a tackle, which the player received no treatment for. A minute later, when the free kick was about to be taken, Skip and a Hurlford player were both booked - didn’t see why.

Down to nine men, you would think that it was game over. Yet Musselburgh seemed to rally, and in 69 mins, Jed played a great cross  which went out for a corner. Then Michael had a shot, which was cleared from the six yard box. In 78 minutes, Musselburgh fired a free kick into the box, and a header was saved on the line by the Hurlford keeper, Brown. 

Calvin had changed the set up due  to the 2 sendings off, with just 3 at the back, and keeping 2 players as far up pitch as he could.

With nine minutes to go till full time, Watt had a shot, which was cleared from the Musselburgh line, and then a resultant shot again went over the bar. Back up the field, Matti scored the equaliser in 84 minutes. A cross, I think from Michael, from the right hand side, was perfect for Matti to rise and header into the net. By this time, sky was getting very dark! 

So, here was nine man team for last 20 odd minutes getting a deserved equaliser. At that time, it was hard to see that Hurlford are in a higher league., and the score was the least Musselburgh deserved. Kevin then came on for Bradley W.

However, 2 minutes later, Hurlford went back in the lead. A move up the left hand side, saw a cross into the box, and was met by a Hurford player, whose shot hit the net ( was really dark and after the celebrations, I couldn’t see who scored).

Into injury time, and  on the left hand side, the referee blew for offside, when Hurlford were attacking. However, Ally didn’t stop, and went in for a wreck less tackle. He was walking off before the ref got his red card out. So, down to 8 players, but for me, only Ally should have been off. It later came out that in an earlier challenge when Ally was on the ground, the Hurlford player spat on him, and Ally, I assume took payback! It wasn’t the right call, and Ally deserved his sending off. However, Hurford player should be ashamed of himself for the earlier incident.

There was a wee delay whilst our goalie sub - Asher came on with Ralts going off. Into the final minute and again, even though down to 8 men, Musselburgh still took game to Hurlford, although match ended shortly after.

Out of the cup, but certainly not outplayed! Even when down to nine men, Musselburgh were a match for Hurlford.

Only time I’ve felt worse at the end of a Musselburgh match, was when we got relegated at Jeanfield last season. Players should be proud of the way they played. 

its awe ower bar the shoutin casey ees were robbed aye it happens tae awe teems the ford hae pit yous oot n will dae the same tae haddington in the nxt roond its a lottery n yous ended up wae a schect referee ditto cos the hoose were the same against bonnyrigg he wis a richt donut heeds up guys n move oan 

Spoiler

Interesting to read everybody's take on yesterday's match. In general I thought Musselburgh looked a good side, even though I missed the first twenty minutes when they were according to other Ford fans the better side.

As for the decisions, I didn't see either penalty claim clearly, but I thought the first yellow for Gray was soft. IMO Murphy's red was deserved. He ran ten yards and jumped knee high into the back of Hodge, who was already being tracked by two players. That rush of blood cost Musselburgh the game as up until then Murphy was having an excellent game.

The last red card was a shocker, however if the player had spat on me, I can fully understand it.

Spitting! Lewis Morrison just joined us from St. Mirren Pro youth and if that is what he has brought with him then it's a sad day for Hurlford. Yesterday was his first appearance, so please believe me when l say he didn't learn that at Blair Park and if he can't stop it then hopefully he is gone as quickly as he came.

I felt relief more than anything at the final whistle as we played the last twenty minutes as we have the last twenty all season, looking like a side with no confidence and at times hanging on.

All the best to MA for the rest of the season. I would assume that promotion should be a given of you continue to play as you have been doing.

On 24/12/2017 at 10:10, ex-german exile said:

Interesting to read everybody's take on yesterday's match. In general I thought Musselburgh looked a good side, even though I missed the first twenty minutes when they were according to other Ford fans the better side.

As for the decisions, I didn't see either penalty claim clearly, but I thought the first yellow for Gray was soft. IMO Murphy's red was deserved. He ran ten yards and jumped knee high into the back of Hodge, who was already being tracked by two players. That rush of blood cost Musselburgh the game as up until then Murphy was having an excellent game.

The last red card was a shocker, however if the player had spat on me, I can fully understand it.

Spitting! Lewis Morrison just joined us from St. Mirren Pro youth and if that is what he has brought with him then it's a sad day for Hurlford. Yesterday was his first appearance, so please believe me when l say he didn't learn that at Blair Park and if he can't stop it then hopefully he is gone as quickly as he came.

I felt relief more than anything at the final whistle as we played the last twenty minutes as we have the last twenty all season, looking like a side with no confidence and at times hanging on.

All the best to MA for the rest of the season. I would assume that promotion should be a given of you continue to play as you have been doing.

Have just tuned into this thread. Now I know!!!

On 24/12/2017 at 09:10, ex-german exile said:

Bit of a shake-down all round yesterday E-GE but there was still a hugely enjoyable gemme in there.  Still to calm down when I think of the referee but the hospitality at Hurlford was first-class and I've no qualms about wishing you all the best in the Scottish and for the rest of the season.

Thanks for your best wishes as well, I can't imagine for a minute that anybody would learn behaviour like that at your club, everybody we met was a credit to it. 

6 hours ago, RobM said:

Bit of a shake-down all round yesterday E-GE but there was still a hugely enjoyable gemme in there.  Still to calm down when I think of the referee but the hospitality at Hurlford was first-class and I've no qualms about wishing you all the best in the Scottish and for the rest of the season.

Thanks for your best wishes as well, I can't imagine for a minute that anybody would learn behaviour like that at your club, everybody we met was a credit to it. 

Clubs don't/can't teach players such things. If he spat on the boy he's just intrinsically a thug. His mother should skelp his arse for him.

2 hours ago, BoabbyRab said:

I’ve only got one little comment about something that bemused me.....Musselburgh I was behind your goals and your keeper kept banging on about getting the game abandoned??? and bad mouthing spectators.

Has it taken 4 days to remember that?

I didn’t stand behind the goals so I have no idea what our goalkeeper said on the quiet. However, I do know that Ally is one of the ‘loudest’ goalies in Junior football - always talking throughout the match, and letting his players know what they are doing right or wrong. So much,  that I am sure that a couple of defenders wear ear plugs to drown him out! 

Point is that Ally is anything but quiet, so if he did say these things, I am surprised nobody else heard. Also not sure what abandoning the match would have achieved. In the 2nd half, even with 9 players for most of the time, Musselburgh were the better team, and the least we were looking for, was a draw to take the replay back to Olivebank. An abandonment wouldn’t have achieved that.

Has it taken 4 days to remember that?

I didn’t stand behind the goals so I have no idea what our goalkeeper said on the quiet. However, I do know that Ally is one of the ‘loudest’ goalies in Junior football - always talking throughout the match, and letting his players know what they are doing right or wrong. So much,  that I am sure that a couple of defenders wear ear plugs to drown him out! 

Point is that Ally is anything but quiet, so if he did say these things, I am surprised nobody else heard. Also not sure what abandoning the match would have achieved. In the 2nd half, even with 9 players for most of the time, Musselburgh were the better team, and the least we were looking for, was a draw to take the replay back to Olivebank. An abandonment wouldn’t have achieved that.

That’s is my point why would he want it abandoned, and he wasn’t being loud he was being deliberately confrontational and heard by plenty of others. Apart from being a bit unwell and spending quality family time over Xmas your snide remark regarding 4 days to remember is uncalled for. I wish you and yours all the best for 2018.

1 hour ago, BoabbyRab said:

That’s is my point why would he want it abandoned, and he wasn’t being loud he was being deliberately confrontational and heard by plenty of others. Apart from being a bit unwell and spending quality family time over Xmas your snide remark regarding 4 days to remember is uncalled for. I wish you and yours all the best for 2018.

Boabby - that comment was uncalled for so sorry for that! Still a bit raw after that result, and not helped by the Hurlford manager’s comments in the Sunday paper. 

Guest brycey

burra keeper a beleeve hus been banned fir 5 games a loose cannon if you ask me lol aye n mone the burnie keep the heeds lads n watch oot fir the strong arm tactics fae the hame teem tut tut lol

Guest brycey
1 hour ago, Toffee fan said:

Hope no news is good news, and that despite the current crap weather, that the Musselburgh v Whitburn match takes place tomorrow!

mone the burnie lol

Archived