Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

58 minutes ago, DuklaWandy said:

Good report Dukla and well supported with the photographs.

I agree with your choice of Haddington's  No. 11 Jones - thought he was their best player. Also thought their captain, No.6 Inglis had a good match.

Have to say I was a bit disappointed in Haddington, but glad that Musselburgh came through the match as comfortable winners.  Thought they played better earlier on in the season when we met them in the cup, However, I am sure Haddington will be in the top three at season end, hopefully 2nd,

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Good report Dukla and well supported with the photographs.

I agree with your choice of Haddington's  No. 11 Jones - thought he was their best player. Also thought their captain, No.6 Inglis had a good match.

Have to say I was a bit disappointed in Haddington, but glad that Musselburgh came through the match as comfortable winners.  Thought they played better earlier on in the season when we met them in the cup, However, I am sure Haddington will be in the top three at season end, hopefully 2nd,

Thanks Casey.  Jones was excellent in the first half but barely had a kick in the second.  Burgh look like they are going to stroll it.  Fauldhouse have lots of games in hand, but they will end up playing Saturday, Monday, Wednesday every week the way it is going.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully match 20 next weekend at Tayport! First match was way back in August.

Musselburgh conceded two early goals but came back to register a convincing 6-2 win.

A win of any kind next week will be good? as Musselburgh continue their march to a quick return to the Super League next season

• 2 weeks later...

Match 20 of the league campaign, so 2/3rds of the season reach. Today, Musselburgh travelled through to play Glenrothes. The reverse fixture saw a 3-2 victory for Musselburgh. There was one change to the previous starting 11, with Bradley Whyte replacing Michael Moffat.

I have noticed at a number of grounds, there is a board which shows the starting line up for both teams. It would be good if this was replicated at each ground, as without this, I need to revert to numbers when dealing with opposition teams.

Match kicked off at 14:33 and first attempt at goal came in 20 seconds for Glenrothes, but the no. 8 blasted the ball over the bar. 10 minutes into the match, Musselburgh should have gone one nil up. Ball was played up to Stephen McDonald, who rounded the keeper and should have shot at that point. However, he carried the ball too far to the right. By then two defenders had got back, and when Stephen passed the ball back to Mathu King, his shot was blocked.

On 12 minutes, Glenrothes had the first corner of match. Ball came over to the left winger who’s shot went wide of the post. A couple of minutes later, Glenrothes were awarded a free kick, just outside the box. No.6 shot narrowly passed Ally Adam’s right hand post.

Musselburgh had two corners in quick succession, but nothing came of either, then on 27 minutes, Sean Murphy (Skip) had a shot which just passed the Glenrothes post.

On 32 minutes, there were loud shouts from the Glenrothes technical area for a penalty, but ref was not swayed by this. A minute later, Musselburgh went 1-0 up. Mathu took throw in close to Glenrothes by-line. When the ball came back to him, he tried to get by the left back, but lost the ball. Instead of kicking the ball out the park, no. 3 passed ball into his centre half, who lost possession in his penalty area, and Stephen passed back to Mathu. From right hand side of box, Mathu blasted ball into net, between the keeper and the post.

A couple of minutes later, Mathu nearly scored again. The ball was played ahead of him, and he ran towards the keeper Mathu attempted to pass by, but luckily for the keeper, He managed to trap the ball at his feet.

With 3 minutes till half time, Bradley Whyte nearly got his 1st goal for Musselburgh. Gary Cherrie took a free kick which came to Bradley, who’s shot from outside the box just went over the bar.

Half time 1-0 to Musselburgh.

Four minutes into 2nd half saw,  Stephen linking up with Mathu, who beat a defender, but his shot was saved by the keeper. Then on 51 minutes, the Glenrothes left back’s shot brought a diving save from Ally.

The second goal of match came on 53 minutes. A long ball was played out of the Musselburgh half, towards the left hand corner flag. Jed Davie chased ball, and then tackled the no. 7 on his way into box. Jed appeared to put in a low cross ball, but it hit off the Glenrothes right back and into the net.  Musselburgh 2 up and seemingly in control of the match. Three minutes later, Ally kicked the ball out to Skip, who played the ball over to Stephen. The ball then came to Bradley, who’s shot from the right hand side of the goal area, passed just by the keeper’s right hand post.

On 57 minutes, Mathu was substituted with Michael Moffat coming on. At that point, Musselburgh’s game seemed to unravel, with Glenrothes coming more into the match. Four minutes later, Glenrothes were awarded a corner. As the ball came into the box, no.10 ran forward, and headed the ball towards the goal. It touched the knee of the centre forward, and into the net to reduce the deficit to 2-1.

A couple of minutes later, a kick out from Ally found the opposition no. 2 who collected the ball and pass it to no. 10. His shot from the left side of the park was easily saved by Ally. From there, the ball was played up the field to Michael who rounded the keeper, but his attempt at goal was cleared by a defender. As the ball came out of the penalty area, there was a heavy tackle which resulted in the no. 3 requiring treatment. 

There was a double substitution on 67 minutes with Glenrothes no. 7 coming off for no.12; while Jackie Myles replaced Bradley. Just after that, Michael had another attempt when he tried to chip the ball over the Glenrothes keeper, but the flight of the ball moved it away from the goals. Glenrothes then had 3 corners in quick succession , but nothing came of these.

On 76 minutes, Glenrothes had a shot, which narrowly passed Ally’s post, then a minute later, no. 10 had a header easily saved by Ally. The equiliser came on 79 minutes. From the centre circle, the no. 3 passed the ball to the left winger, who ran towards the Musselburgh goal area. The ball fell to the no. 10 who’s shot hit the top right of the net to make it 2-2.

With 8 minutes remaining Ewan Ralton replaced Matti Lynch.  Then on 85 minutes, Stephen had a great chance to make it 3-2. From a throw in, ball came to Stephen, who from less than 5 yards from the goals blasted the ball away, and a golden opportunity missed. Just after that Glenrothes no.6 was replaced by no. 15.  

On 90 minutes from a corner, the ball fell to Glenrothes no. 11, but his shot soared over the bar. A minute into injury time, Musselburgh had a corner, which Stephen headed, but ball saved by keeper.

So match ended 2-2. It was a scrappy game and Musselburgh will feel that it was two points lost! The pitch was very heavy, and it was mentioned by a supporter, at the start of the match, that if it had rained overnight, then the match would probably have been called off. A number of times during the match, it felt like the game was played with a burst ball. There was hardly any bounce when the ball landed, and when there was a pass, the ball seemed to have breaks on it.

The Musselburgh ‘young’ team were in good fettle during the 2nd half,  standing on the hill behind the goals. They tried to put the Glenrothes keeper off every time he took a by-kick, with their voices rising each time he neared the ball. Seemed like they had been on the shandies!

Disappointed with the result yesterday at Glenrothes. Having been up 2-0 early in the second half, Musselburgh should have come away with all three points, instead of the one for a 2-2 draw. 

All seemed to go pair shaped when Mathu King went off but the team should have seen the match out without too much trouble. Perhaps they were keeping the main man fit for the run in to the end of the season.

Saving grace was Fauldhouse losing 5-3 at home to Thornton.. A few raised eyebrows when it was said that Thornton were 4-0 up at half time. However, I’ve heard that the result was no fluke, so to increase the lead at the top of the league was a bonus.

Felt a number of players underperformed yesterday, but need to remember we are currently 15 points ahead with 10 games to go. Yes some teams below can cut some of this back with games in hand, but Musselburgh are in a great position. 

Cant see the result of the player of the match award. My award would have gone to Jed Davie. No one stood out, but Jed is by far our most consistent player player this season.

6 hours ago, MussyGirl said:

My apologies Toffee Fan! Yesterday’s 1934 Club Man of The Match was Midfielder Sean Murphy chosen and presented by birthday boy Johnny Brown.IMG_3291.jpg

Thank you MussyGirl. Must have had my eyes closed as I walked over the pitch. As it was Johnny’s choice, I will give him that one! Hope he enjoyed his birthday meal, and glass of red wine when he got home!

No surprise the Glenrothes v Fauldhouse match is off today. Pitch was very heavy last week, and with the rain over the past couple of days, game inevitably has been postponed.

Just need to ensure that Musselburgh take advantage of this, with a win at home against Kirriemuir. The would get us further ahead of potentially our biggest rivals.

MTB!

Match 21 of league campaign with Kirriemuir visiting Olivebank. Earlier in the season, Kirriemuir won the first fixture 1-0. Following last week’s 2-2 draw at Glenrothes, the management team made two changes to the starting line up with Michael Moffat and Ewan Ralton replacing Matty Lynch and Bradley Whyte.

Kick off was14:32, and the first goal came four minutes later. Ball was played up the left wing to Stephen MacDonald, who passed the keeper and from the edge of the 6-yard box, he slotted the ball into the net. 

The second goal came in 9 minutes, following a dreadful mistake by the Kirriemuir goalkeeper, Barclay. Stephen had the ball at the left hand side corner flag, and passed it back to Sean Murphy (Skip). From outside the box, Skip hit a low drive which went underneath Barclay’s body and into the net.

The first corner of the match fell to Kirriemuir in 11 minutes. Ball was played to Fairweather whose shot brought a good save from Ally Adams. A couple of minutes later Ewan Ralton had a shot from outside the box, which just went by Barclay’s left hand post. 

On the 15 minute mark, there was great play between Skip, Conor Thomson and Michael Moffat, with Michael  passing  into the box to Ralts. Instead of crossing the ball, Ralts appeared to take his eye off it and ball went out for a by-kick.

First booking of match went to Kirriemuir’s left back. On 20 minutes, the ball went out of play, at stand side of the ground. It looked like a Kirrie throw in, but the referee thought otherwise. Drumm then slammed the ball to the ground, and received a yellow card for his actions.

A few minutes later, McVicar brought down Ralts in the Kirrie goal area. The number 4, Snowdon, protested and earned a yellow card for this. Conor took the penalty, but his shot went over the bar.

On 31 minutes, it was 3-0 to Musselburgh. A long ball played out of defence was chased and caught by Mathu King. He passed the ball into the box to Stephen and when it was played back, Mathu’s shot was cleared by Millar. The ball fell to Gary Cherrie, at the edge of the box. Gary turned a player and his shot soared into the top right hand side of net. Best goal of the match.

In the last minute of the first half, Mathu had the ball in the net, but the ref had just blown for half time, so score remained 3-0.

Not long into the second half, Musselburgh had a couple of chances to increase their lead. Ralts ran up the right wing, and crossed the ball to a waiting Mathu, but a defender got in first and headed out for a corner. From the corner, ball was played to Jed Davie, whose second attempt at goal, was cleared off the line. Ball then came to Stephen, but he was too close to the post, and his shot went out for a by-kick.

On 53 minutes, Conor took a corner and Brad Donaldson ran to meet the ball at the far side post but couldn’t direct his header into the net. A couple of minutes later saw Kirrie’s only second shot at goals. Bews took the corner, and Farquarson blasted the ball way over the bar. 

The first substitutions came in the 58 minute. Musselburgh’s Jackie Myles and Chris Gray replaced Conor and Brad. Then Kirrie’s McKenna came on for Fairweather. Three minutes later, Russell, the Kirrie captain, was booked for a foul on Michael.

On 63 minutes, Kirrie came close to pulling one goal back. Bews took a corner, and the left back Drumm headed the ball just wide of the post. Had the header been on target, it would have been a goal as no defender or Ally moved for the ball. At that point Musselburgh’s final substitution saw Matty Lynch coming on for Michael. Kirrie’s McVicar also came off; replaced by Lannen.

In 69 minutes, there was good play on left wing, with a number of passes, leading to Jed playing ball to Johnny McManus, who passed to Mathu. He hit a deft chip over a couple of defenders, and found Stephen who placed ball to the left of the keeper and into the net for a 4-0 lead to Musselburgh. Some Kirrie players thought Stephen was off-side, and the most vocal, was Snowdon, who earned his second yellow of the match, to reduce Kirrie to 10 players. Colourful language continued towards the referee as the no. 4 left the pitch.

Two minutes later, and Stephen had his hat-trick. Jackie was brought down in the box by the Stirton, the centre half. Stephen made no mistake of Musselburgh’s second penalty.

On 75 minutes, Kirrie’s last substitution saw Millar replaced by Macleod. Three minutes later, Musselburgh were 6-0 up. Play started in the Musselburgh half, when Ralts dispossessed Macleod off the ball. As he moved forward, Ralts played ball to Stephen, who tackled a defender in the box, and then slide the ball past Barclay and into the net.

The final goal came with seven minutes of the match remaining. Mathu had the ball on the right hand side of the pitch and was brought down just outside the Kirrie goal area. Up stepped Matty L who hit a sweet free kick into the back of the net.

Final score was 7-0 to Musselburgh, with Stephen MacDonald getting four of the goals. In the first match , one of the fans said Musselburgh had ‘batterered’ Kirriemuir, but lost 1-0. On that day, the Kirrie keeper saved whatever came his way. Today, Musselburgh battered them again, with a much different result. Just shows what can happen with two similar performances. Musselburgh remain in full hope of returning to the Super League next season, with winning the league becoming more and more of a reality.

Wholly enjoyable match yesterday, and back to the way the team played at the start of the season. For anyone who watched the match, 7-0 wasnt a fluke result, and indeed Musselburgh could have won by more. 

Last week’s result at Glenrothes was disappointing, particularly having been up 2-0. For some reason, once Matti went off, the whole team seemed to go into reverse gear, and allow Glenrothes to draw the match.

This week, plus marks for all the players. Thought Jonno had his best match in a while in defence, and Stephen’s four goals would have most supporters clambering to make him player of the match. Overall, my choice would have been Skip, who had an outstanding match. For a ‘slight’ guy, he doesn’t shirk out of any tackles, and the Kirriemuir players found it very hard to get the ball off him. 

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Big meeting last night, what was the outcome?

I wasn't at the meeting last night, so I am unable to advise you of the outcome.

On the football front, looking forward to the visit to Blackburn on Saturday. Hopefully the frost/ice won't present a problem.

Musselburgh played Blackburn about 2-3 years ago in a cup tie.  I can't remember if that was on your current / previous pitch?

14 minutes ago, Toffee fan said:

I wasn't at the meeting last night, so I am unable to advise you of the outcome.

On the football front, looking forward to the visit to Blackburn on Saturday. Hopefully the frost/ice won't present a problem.

Musselburgh played Blackburn about 2-3 years ago in a cup tie.  I can't remember if that was on your current / previous pitch?

We played you the year you reached the Junior Cup final and you won 3-0 (Sheerin? hattrick), that probably would have been on grass.

The thaw is on so should be OK, although I've not seen the pitch. Due to have the Russian WU19's train on it again Saturday morning, so if you spot a Russian flag don't fret, no invasion (yet).

41 minutes ago, MussyGirl said:

IMG_3472.jpg

Scottish Junior Cup 2nd Round. 25/10/14

Game was played on the grass pitch.
Blackburn 0 - 3 Musselburgh
Perfect hat-trick for Sheerin, Right Foot, Left Foot and a header!

That's it.

That's it.

IMG_3472.thumb.jpg.587d25e28418e05294703b2967496331.jpg

Cheers Burnie and MG! At least I know no to panic on Saturday! If they are still there, you could ask them to be the flag bearers for our match!

IMG_3472.thumb.jpg.587d25e28418e05294703b2967496331.jpg

Always the Font of knowledge! Knew I should have asked you first - sorry!

Archived