Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Unbelievable player. Great signing lads

What is great JC and I am sure what Jackie will appreciate, is that Junior football fans outwith Musselburgh all seem to appreciate and agree what a player Jackie is. A great servant previously for Haddington and Musselburgh, and a credit to Junior football. One of the best Junior footballer I have ever witnessed.

Today saw Musselburgh make the longest trip this season to play a league match - 94 miles up to Kirriemuir.

Match kicked off 2 minutes late, and Musselburgh never seemed to catch up! 

First corner was two minutes in, when Chris Gray had an attempt on goal which was blocked by a defender. Nothing came of this. For the next 10 minutes lots of action, mainly in the Burgh half, but nothing happened around the goal mouth area. Musselburgh’s 1st shot on target was byConor Thomson, but his shot was blocked by a defender, and landed at the keeper’s feet. A minute later, Conor plays up the left wing, and and played the ball into Mathu King, whose shot hit the net, but the referee had blown for offside.

A minute later, the ball was in the Burgh half with the Kirriemuir Thistle’s no. 7 (no team sheet available for names) crossing into the box, hitch was met by the no. 10, whose header went over the bar. Then in 17 minutes, Jed Davie had a shot which went way over bar.

First booking of 1st half came in 25 minute when Kirrie’s no. 9 for a bad tackle on Gary Cherrie, at the half way line. The free kick, found Chris on the left wing, who crossed a great ball into the penalty area, which Was headed towards Conor, who from 2 yards out skied the ball over the bar, when it seemed easier to score. Two minutes later, no. 7 was 2nd player from Kirrie to be booked for kicking the ball away when ref had blown for a free kick. Nothing came of this.

Best save of the match, and probably the first of the 1st half, came from our own supporter Mary. Ball came rushing towards the touch line from a Kirrie defender, and Mary quickly palmed the ball back into play! Maybe Mary, an ex- hockey player could be seconded onto the coaching staff to help train Ally and Asher!

In 34 minutes, a long shot from Bradley Whyte, following a pass from Gary, was heading towards the goal area, but defender got a touch, and landed in keeper’s arms. Six minutes later Mathu had a shot which was cleared off the Kirrie goal line by a header from a defender.

In 41 mins, Kirrie’s no. 9then has shot which never troubled Asher Tufail in goal. A couple of other shots by Musselburgh, again came to nothing. To be honest, I am not sure that either keeper had to make a save of any value in the first half, which ended 0-0.

Into 2nd half, and in 47 minutes, Conor took a corner which Eventually fell to Mathu hose volley passed the post.

In 56 minutes , Musselburgh had 2 promising moves, both falling to Mathu, and both times he was adjudged offside.

In 60 minutes, Ewen Ralton came on as sub for Stephen MacDonald. This was soon followed by Two Kirrie subs no.s 14 & 15 coming on for no.s 6&9.

Then in 68 minutes Ewen had a ‘smashing’ shot, which hit a target! Unfortunately it wasn’t a goal as the ball blasted into Kirrie’s no. 5 ‘soft’ parts, whixch saw him collapse to the ground withering in pain!! A couple of minutes later, Kirrie’s 3rd sub saw their no. 17 coming on for the injured no. 4. In the next few minutes a few goalmouth actions but nothing came of any.

The 1st and only goal of match came in 77 minutes. From a free kick on the road get hand side of the pitch, the ball was floated into the Musselburgh goal area. It seemed to pass 2 Musselburgh defenders, to the far away post, and I think the Kirrie captain, no. 8 slotted the ball passed Asher, into the net. Cue mad celebrations by the Kirrie players and before the kick_off, Kevin McDonald came on for Gary.  Soon after, no. 11 was booked for a bad tackle on Jed.

in 83 minute, Mathu had a header on goal but there was an easy catch by the goalkeeper. With 5 minutes to go, the Burgh signing fans got their wish when the long awaited return of Jackie MYLES happened, when he came on for Matti Lynch. With 3 minutes to go, Kirrie no. 8 had a shot/ come pass which came off the aburgh post. Right on 90 minutes, Brad Donaldson was booke, and this was quickly followed with Chris’s name going in the ref’s book, presumably for something he said.

Full time, and Kirrie got their 2nd home league win of season, whilst Musselburgh lost their first league game.

Couple of thoughts. One Musselburgh supporter thought we ‘bashed’ Kirrie Thistle, but still came away from the match with nothing. I think this was our poorest match this season, with the forward line rather anonymous! I was surprised when Stephen was subbed, though  perhaps he was ill or injured?  I also thought he played too deep. If I was management - I have no credentials for this!!!!! - Given Stephen’s height and speed, I would have him as an out and out centre forward, with Mathu playing just off him! The goals are beginning to day up a bit, and we need to get back to the way we played at start of season, when goals flowed in!

HOWEVER - half way through season Musselburgh are top of league seven points above 2nd placed Haddington. catch us if you can!,

29 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

in 83 minute, Mathu had a header on goal but there was an easy catch by the goalkeeper. With 5 minutes to go, the Burgh signing fans got their wish when the long awaited return of Jackie Jyles happened, when he came on for Matti Lynch. With 3 minutes to go, Kirrie no. 8 had a shot/ come pass which came off the aburgh post. Right on 90 minutes, Brad Donaldson was booke, and this was quickly followed with Chris’s name going in the ref’s book, presumably for something he said.

Who he? 

:lol:

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Who he? 

:lol:

Ha ha, I wrote it and I don’t have a clue either BU!  

I was disguising Jackie’s real name as now Musselburgh has helped in Jackie’s rehabilitation process, and getting slowly but surely back to full fitness, I didn’t want the wee team ( your near neighbours) noseying about and trying to poach Jackie away from us again! At least he is back where all the Burghfans appreciate him!

Ha ha, I wrote it and I don’t have a clue either BU!  
I was disguising Jackie’s real name as now Musselburgh has helped in Jackie’s rehabilitation process, and getting slowly but surely back to full fitness, I didn’t want the wee team ( your near neighbours) noseying about and trying to poach Jackie away from us again! At least he is back where all the Burghfans appreciate him!

I thought you’d maybe signed the son of Farmer Jyles!

Can’t see the Wee Rose coming sniffing about him again though. That ship has sailed. Shame he never really got a chance to prove himself at Linlithgow.

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I thought you’d maybe signed the son of Farmer Jyles!

Can’t see the Wee Rose coming sniffing about him again though. That ship has sailed. Shame he never really got a chance to prove himself at Linlithgow.

Indeed, and injury free I have no doubt that Jackie would have proved himself an asset at Lithgae. However, as my favourite player ever at Musselburgh, I am glad, once again, to see him play for my team!

Supporters club had Brad Donaldson as man of the match. Really not sure who I would have given it to?  Thought Conor Thomson had a good match. Did plenty of running about, got into good positions, but I wish he would pass the ball a bit more. Chris Gray, also did a lot of runs  up and down the left wing, similar to what a Michael Moffat usually does when he plays right back.

Felt we missed Michael today. The forwards didn’t have a great match, and surprisingly so few shots on target, and those that did, never troubled the keeper at all.

A poor match for Musselburgh, but even good teams have to lose sometime. We start again next week, with a home match against Tranent. We won at Foresters Park earlier in the season, and no reason why we can’t do a double over our East Lothian neighbours.

5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Jackie Jyles?

Even great players such as Jyles have to be on the park for more than 6 minutes to have a chance of man of the match! To be honest though, another 5 minutes, and he was in with a chance today!!

17 minutes ago, MussyGirl said:

Match update. Pitch a bit crusty just now but trying to give the game every chance of going ahead. We are working to try to get the game on. We will update around 11.00 am
#montheburgh

Keep fingers crossed that the top derby clash in the Lothians is on!  Will save me having to watch the the next best up at Bonnyrigg, 

17 hours ago, Toffee fan said:

Same fixture has been picked for next Saturday with Tranent being the visitors to Olivebank.

the tee will b fired up fir this yin mone the belters lol

23 minutes ago, brycey said:

the tee will b fired up fir this yin mone the belters lol

What a rubbish message to put on for our 300th post!  Geeze a break Brycey. That cald weather must have got to you at Bonnyrigg yesterday!  Yer T will be oot soon if you keep on sprouting so much rubbish.

Having watched the Big rose demolish Nitten yesterday, and I saw some of our players at the end of the match, the incentive will be ours to push on for promotion. I now know where we will get an easy six points in the bag next season should Nitten not replace the Burgh in the Premier League.

See you at the match next week, and nain of your gibbering when we speak!

Archived