Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

On 24/11/2017 at 17:17, ex-german exile said:

Where did you hear that?

Just woken up from 3 week’s hibernation!

Can’t see any match results so I assume that match was off that day?

If so, has Hurlford’s temperature rose since then, and what are the chances for tomorrow?

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just woken up from 3 week’s hibernation!
Can’t see any match results so I assume that match was off that day?
If so, has Hurlford’s temperature rose since then, and what are the chances for tomorrow?

I'm in Germany mate and won't be home until very late tonight. My Mrs days it has been relatively dry and there had been no frost in Kilmarnock for a few days, so I'm very hopeful.

Remember it's a 1330ko!

Search me out of you or Toffee Fan want a wee chat pre-match or HT, any of the committee or regulars can point me out. Safe traveling.

1 hour ago, ex-german exile said:

I'm in Germany mate and won't be home until very late tonight. My Mrs days it has been relatively dry and there had been no frost in Kilmarnock for a few days, so I'm very hopeful.

Remember it's a 1330ko!

Search me out of you or Toffee Fan want a wee chat pre-match or HT, any of the committee or regulars can point me out. Safe traveling.

Thank you for that, and here’s hoping from what you say that it’s match on!

Hurlford United 2 Musselburgh Athletic 1
Full-Time

Musselburgh finished with 8 men.

Two of the sending offs were shocking! Only the last sending off was deserved! Ref was shocking.

Twice Musselburgh were given a foul then had players sent off!

Was there as neutral, musselburgh better team in first half just couldnt find final ball , of the 2 pen claims 2nd was stonewall ,1st one have seen given and not given . Ref definitely didnt give you much in 2nd half and as said already apart from your keeprs red card the other 2 were harsh .

Was there as neutral, musselburgh better team in first half just couldnt find final ball , of the 2 pen claims 2nd was stonewall ,1st one have seen given and not given . Ref definitely didnt give you much in 2nd half and as said already apart from your keeprs red card the other 2 were harsh .

Cheers for that. Even with 9 men we were holding Hurlford, thought when we got back to 1-1 we might have hot draw

I was also there as a neutral along with others and all agreed the referee and linesmen did a fair job given that incidents were breaking out all over the place due to indiscipline from both teams.   The penalty due to Musselburgh for blatant holding in the penalty box was on the blind side of the ref and the lino  and as such was calculatingly craftily executed.

If the referee doesn't clearly see it he can't give it, players know that and should move quickly on.   The 2nd yellows were deserved but maybe soft but the arithmetic says red must follow so perhaps we need a pink card and have 10 mins sin-binned or 3 cards to win a red.    Lewis Morrison was clearly on for a niggle, his style of swaggering play seems to attract retribution from the get-go and it was no surprise his little digs and tussles were revenged brutally but certainly the goalkeeper went far too far with his dangerous studs forward lunge, a great pity as until that point I think he was man of the match. 

Plenty of name calling and fist-waving all the way off the park and into the dressing room by angry fans and support players made it a bargain value for money day out and better than Spike fight night.   Musselburgh should regret their poor attempts at time-wasting after their equaliser because although undermanned they still looked capable of scoring another after Hurlford went 2-1 ahead.  I'm surprised the ref didn't add  a few more minutes for time-wasted and failure to supply replacement balls in a timeous fashion  but I'm happy somebody won because I wouldn't have gone to the east coast for a replay, I get a nosebleed nearing  Edinburgh.

toodle pip! 

I was also there as a neutral along with others and all agreed the referee and linesmen did a fair job given that incidents were breaking out all over the place due to indiscipline from both teams.   The penalty due to Musselburgh for blatant holding in the penalty box was on the blind side of the ref and the lino  and as such was calculatingly craftily executed.
If the referee doesn't clearly see it he can't give it, players know that and should move quickly on.   The 2nd yellows were deserved but maybe soft but the arithmetic says red must follow so perhaps we need a pink card and have 10 mins sin-binned or 3 cards to win a red.    Lewis Morrison was clearly on for a niggle, his style of swaggering play seems to attract retribution from the get-go and it was no surprise his little digs and tussles were revenged brutally but certainly the goalkeeper went far too far with his dangerous studs forward lunge, a great pity as until that point I think he was man of the match. 
Plenty of name calling and fist-waving all the way off the park and into the dressing room by angry fans and support players made it a bargain value for money day out and better than Spike fight night.   Musselburgh should regret their poor attempts at time-wasting after their equaliser because although undermanned they still looked capable of scoring another after Hurlford went 2-1 ahead.  I'm surprised the ref didn't add  a few more minutes for time-wasted and failure to supply replacement balls in a timeous fashion  but I'm happy somebody won because I wouldn't have gone to the east coast for a replay, I get a nosebleed nearing  Edinburgh.
toodle pip! 

Marlowe, have you done stand up in the pubs and clubs if Ayrshire cause you are a funny guy! Can't stop laughing so I will respond later to this claptrap!

At 5th time of asking 3rd round junior cup tie away to Hurlford finally got the go ahead.

From the line up, it was clear that Musselburgh had only 13 regular team members (including sub goalie) on team bus. This was reduced to 12, when Johnny had to withdraw from the team during the warm up, therefore, could only rely on one of our golden oldies coming on as sub, if required. Of the 11 who started, 2 players had to get out of their sick beds due to the player shortages, in order that a full team started.

None of this will be an excuse in my following comments. The players one the Park were collectively outstanding for Musselburgh, given the circumstances.

First chance fell to Musselburgh in 2 minutes, when awarded a free kick just outside left hand side of box. Dec took the free kick, which was saved by the goalie. Then a couple of minutes later, from a Hurlford corner a header from Fisher went just over bar.

Musselburgh seemed to be taking the match to Hurlford, with a lot of play going through Musselburgh’s right hand side. In 13 minutes, Hurlford had a free kick, which resulted in a header into the Musselburgh box, but came to nothing.

given my age, when you need to go, you gotta go! Perhaps too much detail, but reason noted, was that this was around the 18 minute mark, and I missed Hurlford going 1-0 up. No big screens showing a replay so I hope Musselburgh’s tripod master will have captured the goal through his lens.

In the next 15 minutes Musselburgh had a few good moves, but didn’t trouble the keeper that much. However, in 34 minutes, Musselburgh should have had a chance for an equaliser when there was hand ball in the box, following a cross from the left hand side. Lots of shouts for penalty, but referee never blew his whistle. 

A minute later, Jed was booked for a challenge on McKenzie, just outside the right hand side of the box. Ball soon went out for a corner, but when it was crossed, a Hurlford header flew over the bar!

With 5 mins to go till half time, Robertson had a chance to chip ball in over Ally, but attempt was so weak, Ally picked up ball at his feet. A minute later Musselburgh had another penalty shout when Matti was clearly being held by a defender; again ref not interested. Calvin was so incensed at the decision, that the ref when over to the dugout area to have a work.

In final minute of First half, Ralts put in a good cross into Michael, but his first touch was a bit heavy and keeper able to take control of ball. So 1-0 to Hurlford at half time.

Two minutes into 2nd half, and Musselburgh awarded a free kick, but for reasons known to ref- he books Michael!? It was becoming apparent that this match seemed to be a tough gig for the ref. Maybe he is aiming to high at this stage of his career!

A couple of minutes later, McKenzie had a shot at goal, but I am sure it would have cleared a skyscraper. Bet the birds were glad they were in their nests by this time. A minute later, McKenzie had the ball again, and there was a great move into the Musselburgh box, but Ally had a great diving save to turn the ball away for a corner. Five minutes later there was a high challenge on McKenzie, who obviously remembered cowboys and Indians from his younger days, as he dropped like a pole. However, with the ref not whistling for a foul, the miracle happened and the no.7 got back up just as quick.

A few minutes later, Jed went down with what looked like a head knock. When ball came to Ralts, he blootered the ball out so Jed could receive attention. Brad D was booked for complaining to the ref about the incident. A couple of minutes later, Hurlford took the through in, but fair play awards mustn’t be in fashion in East Ayrshire, as they kept hold of the ball.

Chris was sent off soon after, for a foul that I would not even have given a free kick for. Yet, the Jed incident produced nothing against Hurlford, even when the linesman was close by. Three minutes later, Dec received a straight red for a tackle, which the player received no treatment for. A minute later, when the free kick was about to be taken, Skip and a Hurlford player were both booked - didn’t see why.

Down to nine men, you would think that it was game over. Yet Musselburgh seemed to rally, and in 69 mins, Jed played a great cross  which went out for a corner. Then Michael had a shot, which was cleared from the six yard box. In 78 minutes, Musselburgh fired a free kick into the box, and a header was saved on the line by the Hurlford keeper, Brown. 

Calvin had changed the set up due  to the 2 sendings off, with just 3 at the back, and keeping 2 players as far up pitch as he could.

With nine minutes to go till full time, Watt had a shot, which was cleared from the Musselburgh line, and then a resultant shot again went over the bar. Back up the field, Matti scored the equaliser in 84 minutes. A cross, I think from Michael, from the right hand side, was perfect for Matti to rise and header into the net. By this time, sky was getting very dark! 

So, here was nine man team for last 20 odd minutes getting a deserved equaliser. At that time, it was hard to see that Hurlford are in a higher league., and the score was the least Musselburgh deserved. Kevin then came on for Bradley W.

However, 2 minutes later, Hurlford went back in the lead. A move up the left hand side, saw a cross into the box, and was met by a Hurford player, whose shot hit the net ( was really dark and after the celebrations, I couldn’t see who scored).

Into injury time, and  on the left hand side, the referee blew for offside, when Hurlford were attacking. However, Ally didn’t stop, and went in for a wreck less tackle. He was walking off before the ref got his red card out. So, down to 8 players, but for me, only Ally should have been off. It later came out that in an earlier challenge when Ally was on the ground, the Hurlford player spat on him, and Ally, I assume took payback! It wasn’t the right call, and Ally deserved his sending off. However, Hurford player should be ashamed of himself for the earlier incident.

There was a wee delay whilst our goalie sub - Asher came on with Ralts going off. Into the final minute and again, even though down to 8 men, Musselburgh still took game to Hurlford, although match ended shortly after.

Out of the cup, but certainly not outplayed! Even when down to nine men, Musselburgh were a match for Hurlford.

Only time I’ve felt worse at the end of a Musselburgh match, was when we got relegated at Jeanfield last season. Players should be proud of the way they played. 

Archived