Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

Great result yesterday, keeping Musselburgh at top of the league with 9th league win out of 10. Much tighter game/result to when Blackburn visited Olivebank last season. 

The supporters club man of the match award went to Conor Thomson; the 2nd time he has received this. My man of the match could have gone to Michael, but he went off with just over 20 minutes still to play. So, overall, Skip would have got my vote, Skip was a sub on a couple of occasions at the start of the season, but he is back to the form he showed last season, and would be my first pick of midfield players each week. Most skilful player we have.

Have to say, the amount of running that Bradley White did today was phenomenal. He must have covered more ground that any other player in the match.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Webby said:

Neutral at the game yesterday so don’t know who you refer to above but as difficult as it was to pick a man of the match I was particularly impressed with your numbers 6 , 10, 15, and 18

Number 15, was Conor Thomson, who was the supporters club man of the match.

Skip (Sean Murphy), my man of match, was number 7 - and the other player I referred to was our number 14, Michael Moffat.

Tricky game Saturday past but we deserved the points.

Great game to look forward to on Saturday coming and I'd hope we take pretty much our full support up, Saturday's game is one of those that makes the fact we're all lined up in this division a bit special.

Looking forward to our match at Tranent. Best results of our season have generally been away from home. Fauldhouse had a tough match at Tranent recently so expecting the same.

But, hopeful as ever that the Burgh will take the 3 points!

Cracking day for a match against your local rivals. Looking forward to returning to Tranent and hoping we can avenge last season’s cup result. 

Another three points today for Musslburgh to strengthen our position at the top of the league. 

Get. In. There. 

Thats all I’m saying just now as I take heed of Burnie’s advice from last week! However, I caanae wait 24 hours to post, so will be back later with my view on the match! And, just to show Burnie I’m not all biased for my team, which I never am, I will say a couple of things not in favour of my own team, as I say it as I see it. Cheery!

Form the moment that Stephen McDonald had a chance to put Musselburgh 1-0 up in the 1st minute, with a header, in the 6 yard box, (missed!) it looked from then on that there would only be one result! 

It was a great start to the game, and for most of the first half, Musselburgh were on the attack, The next big chance came in the 15th minute when after great play from Michael Moffat on the right hand side, the ball came to  Mathu King in the box. Matti had a great chance to score, but he seemed to slip when about to shoot, and nothing came of this.

A minute later, and Dec had a shot, which went just over the bar. Ten minutes later, Stephen had another chance, around the half hour, when, again in the 6yard box, he had a chance, but the ball went out for the corner.

On 35 mins, same player was then 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper after a great ball through by Matti. However, the keeper made a great save. 

Three minutes later, the whistle blew for a foul, not far out of the goal area. Dec hit the bar from the free kick.

With 5 minutes to go in the first half, Musselburgh went 1-0 up. A good move up the left wing, I think from Conor Thomson, and eventually the ball came to Stephen, on the right had side of the goal area. His shot went past the keepers right, into the far away net. No more than Musselburgh deserved!

Second half was more of the same, from Musselburgh, with a number of chances coming to nothing. Skip got our first shot in the 6th minute of 2nd half with the ball just outside of the right hand post. 

Other close misses from Gary Cherrie, Ralts meant that the game finished 1-0.

There was around 5 minutes of injury time, and bizarrely most of it was because the ref required treatment for a sore left leg!

Counted 8 bookings in a match which wasn’t dirty at all. Ref seemed to blow for too many fouls, when he should have let the match flow a lot better.

Crap kicking from our goalkeeper again, most of which was when he wasn’t even under any pressure. Pity there is not a similar thing to a golf range for him, then he could try and practice how to kick a ball, either straight, or at an angle that the ball doesn’t go out of bounds so much!

Apart from a wee flourish in the last 10-15 minutes of the match, Tranent were never much in the game. Even then they didn’t seem like scoring, and our defence always seemed to be in control of any forward movement from their attackers or midfield men.

Matti King had his quietest game I have ever seen him play in. Hopefully the main man was saving himself for next week’s Scottish Cup tie!

57 minutes ago, Darvel Pie said:

We have a full bus coming through to the game next weekend.
Do you have a bar at the ground where we can have a meal and a few drinks?

Not at the ground but The Ship Inn's a five minute walk at most DP and that'll suit you well.  

Plenty pubs in walking distance that'd suit pretty much any taste, Staggs if any of yer squad like real ale but The Ship does food and you'll be made welcome.

3 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Form the moment that Stephen McDonald had a chance to put Musselburgh 1-0 up in the 1st minute, with a header, in the 6 yard box, (missed!) it looked from then on that there would only be one result! 

It was a great start to the game, and for most of the first half, Musselburgh were on the attack, The next big chance came in the 15th minute when after great play from Michael Moffat on the right hand side, the ball came to  Mathu King in the box. Matti had a great chance to score, but he seemed to slip when about to shoot, and nothing came of this.

A minute later, and Dec had a shot, which went just over the bar. Ten minutes later, Stephen had another chance, around the half hour, when, again in the 6yard box, he had a chance, but the ball went out for the corner.

On 35 mins, same player was then 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper after a great ball through by Matti. However, the keeper made a great save. 

Three minutes later, the whistle blew for a foul, not far out of the goal area. Dec hit the bar from the free kick.

With 5 minutes to go in the first half, Musselburgh went 1-0 up. A good move up the left wing, I think from Conor Thomson, and eventually the ball came to Stephen, on the right had side of the goal area. His shot went past the keepers right, into the far away net. No more than Musselburgh deserved!

Second half was more of the same, from Musselburgh, with a number of chances coming to nothing. Skip got our first shot in the 6th minute of 2nd half with the ball just outside of the right hand post. 

Other close misses from Gary Cherrie, Ralts meant that the game finished 1-0.

There was around 5 minutes of injury time, and bizarrely most of it was because the ref required treatment for a sore left leg!

Counted 8 bookings in a match which wasn’t dirty at all. Ref seemed to blow for too many fouls, when he should have let the match flow a lot better.

Crap kicking from our goalkeeper again, most of which was when he wasn’t even under any pressure. Pity there is not a similar thing to a golf range for him, then he could try and practice how to kick a ball, either straight, or at an angle that the ball doesn’t go out of bounds so much!

Apart from a wee flourish in the last 10-15 minutes of the match, Tranent were never much in the game. Even then they didn’t seem like scoring, and our defence always seemed to be in control of any forward movement from their attackers or midfield men.

Matti King had his quietest game I have ever seen him play in. Hopefully the main man was saving himself for next week’s Scottish Cup tie!

Well done to the Burgh today....good result  Casey as Tranent is never an easy place to get a win at!

Good result today at Tranent. Felt we should have got more goals, but most important was the 3 points,

Supporters club man of match, was Stephen MacDonald, who scored our only goal today.  There have only been two occasions where the man of the match hasn’t scored in a game, but this time I agree with the decision. MacDonald should have scored earlier in the match, but he kept on trying, and it eventually paid off. Did a lot of good runnng into scoring positions as well.

Equally as good today was John McManus, who was great in defence today, as he has been for most of the season.

32 minutes ago, Darvel Pie said:

So where will all the players go after the game?

Not sure. You would be best either to get in touch with the team’s secretary or contacting Musselburgh athletic’s twitter page, and either should be able to answer you.

Looking forward to next week’s cup tie! 

10 hours ago, fu punter said:

Well done to the Burgh today....good result  Casey as Tranent is never an easy place to get a win at!

Cheers fu. It could have been a banana skin type of result yesterday. Thankfully, Musselburgh did what was required to get the 3points.

A break from the league next week, for most of the teams, as we revert back to Scottish Cup business. Both The Hoose and The Burgh have hard matches coming our way, but at least both teams are at home. Good luck to all the East Premier League sides on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Looking forward to the game against top quality opposition 

just don't annoy us wae dodgy linesmen and Nae hot water please and we will get along fine 

I like your first comment! Hopefully we will live up to that tag and give you a good match, though we have saved some of our best performances in recent seasons to the Scottish Cup.

I'm of the opinion if you are gid enough on the day, then it shouldn’t matter how dodgy the linesman or ref is! We will just need to see if we are allocated official linesmen for the tie? Hopefully so!

Now, hot water is not in my domain. However, I will bring a hot water bottle with me, and if you make yourself known,  I’ll  gie you a shot of it!

Was a sunny day yesterday at Tranent, so hard to see how the linesman, at the Shed side of the pitch did. 

However, thought the young linesman on the dugout side, with the trendy grey top, had a good match. Seemed to be quite animated at times, but it was good to see his interaction with coaching staff, explaining why,on a couple of occasions, he was waiving his flag so vigorously!

Although the ref seemed to ignore him both times, nice to see someone with so much enthusiasm. With a bit of self belief, and assuming he takes the next step, in a couple of years, I can see him refereeing as high up as the Super league! Well done young man!

14 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Was a sunny day yesterday at Tranent, so hard to see how the linesman, at the Shed side of the pitch did. 

However, thought the young linesman on the dugout side, with the trendy grey top, had a good match. Seemed to be quite animated at times, but it was good to see his interaction with coaching staff, explaining why,on a couple of occasions, he was waiving his flag so vigorously!

Although the ref seemed to ignore him both times, nice to see someone with so much enthusiasm. With a bit of self belief, and assuming he takes the next step, in a couple of years, I can see him refereeing as high up as the Super league! Well done young man!

Ha ha, such kind words Casey. Especially the 'young' part. 

Archived