Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

2 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Always look forward to the Scottish and as Darvel are in a similar league to Musselburgh it should be a cracking tie!

Should be an abundance of hot water, but should there be an issue, the Firth of Forth is only a 300 yard walk from Olivebank !

Ha ha perfect 

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have seen Haddington in pre-season against Bonnyrigg, winning 2-1, and then Kinnoull, winning 6-0. Both matches were at Millfield and both well deserved victories.

In these matches, Haddington played quick attacking football, with quick passing, and not frightened at taking the game to the opposition. They were good to watch, particularly in the match against Bonnyrigg, and the 2nd half against Kinnoull, after a slow first half.

Most of the Musselburgh fans will remember the centre half, Robert Wilson, who is currently on loan to Haddington from Berwick Rangers. Robert played a big part in the season we last reached the Scottish cup final, so Haddington  have a fine player to rely on. Not sure if Jack Gillon, also Berwick is still on loan as well.

So, looking forward to a good match,and hopefully Musselburgh’s unbeaten run in league and cup this season will continue. Only a 20 minute drive down to Millfield so hope for a good away support to cheer on the Burgh!

4 hours ago, Your time is up said:

Look at the post properly and u might understand my response

I wrote the word ‘pay’ instead of ‘play’ in my original post. If that was worth the time for you to post your reply then sorted it for you,

Cheers for being in dictionary corner last night!

So woke up this morning to my 12 day on the trot feeling p1sh and sorry for myself, with originally having a cold, moving to a sinus infection and asthma which both now require medication to get me better!

However, I was hoping some alternative medicine would help in the way of a cracking cup match between Haddington and Musselburgh. Haddington have scored an average of 4 goals per game at Millfield this season, in their 6 matches so far, with Musselburgh also scoring an average of 4 goals away from home, albeit in 5 games played.

Around 2 hours before kick off, the sun came out, and with what seemed a good attendance at kick off, what could possibly go wrong?! At end of 90 minutes, the game finished 0-0, and only Musselburgh’s 2nd scoreless draw in 12 matches this season.

Musselburgh had the better of the first half, but for some reason, didn’t seem to trouble the keeper that much. The problem with that, was that although playing, the Hihi keeper seemed to be injured, as their first goal kick was taken by a defender. Ally noticed this, yet even though he shouted this to our players, none of them seemed to take any notice, when pressuring him when he had the ball may have yielded some positive results.

Haddington were getting annoyed with the amount of times they were being penalised for off side, but instead of taking stock of these decisions, it always seemed to be the linesman’s fault.

Second half progressed roughly the same, without as much offside decisions. Musselburgh just about were the best side again, but, and I may have missed some, the only time the Hihi keeper seemed to have to make a good save was in the last minute, diving to put the ball away for a corner. Two players were sent off in the second half, Chris Gray of Musselburgh and Robert Wilson from Haddington.

So, it went to penalties, with the first 23 penalties all being on target, and 4 of these were saved, 2 each by the goalkeepers. The  24th penalty hit the post, so Haddington ended up winning 10-9 on penalties!

Good luck to the Hihi’s in the next round. Hopefully when we meet up next, perhaps in the league, that it will be a much better spectacle over 90 mins.

Three observations from today’s match.

1. We missed Mathu King being on from the start.

2. It would be interesting if our ‘camera man’ wishes to endure watching a repeat of the game, not sure if I would, to see how many times our replacement centre forward passed the ball back instead of trying to tackle a defender heading towards the goal line, and perhaps a shot on target!

3, My old or continuing bug bare arose again today. Coming up to 35 minutes into the first half and we are awarded a free  just outside the penalty box, on the left hand side of the field. Connor Thomson takes control of the ball, and Ally, who has travelled down near to the half way line, speaks to Connor saying hit the target, and repeats this, as he crouches down. Connor takes the free kick, and the wall does what it’s meant to do, with one of the Haddington players getting a head to the ball.

The result of this is that Haddington make a breakaway down their left hand side, and it is one on one player from each side chasing the ball, with Ally remembering that he should be in his penalty box and starts to run back. A speculative shot is made, that if hitting the target would have made it 1-0 to Haddington, as Ally hadn’t arrived back by that time. Luckily the shot went wide!

Hey ho!

Next week sees us back in league action playing Blackburn,  currently in 4th position. Another though game in prospect. However, should Mathu be back in the starting line up, I am confident the three points will be ours at the final whistle.

Poor day at the office against Haddington. However, I’d rather we had off days in a cup tie, and keep up our good form in the league.

Can’t see who the supporters club picked as there man of match but mine was Brad Donaldson. He read the game well, and played well as one of the centre halves, and was quick to stave off a number of attacks, which starting some for Musselburgh himself. 

I’d still rather see him at right back, until Michael returns to team, and then as right midfield, as he has pace and skill to beat players and get up the wing.

2 hours ago, fu punter said:

Pity yesterday's match wasn't in the league from a Hoose point of view!! :thumsup2

Anyways 2 massive games for the Burgh and the Hoose this Sat....against Blackburn and Haddington ...so let battle commence!!

Glad it was a cup match fu, though obviously it would have been better for Musselburgh had we been in the draw for the next round.

Super Saturday coming up, with a chance of the top 2 to go further in front of the chasing pack, or the opposite, where Haddington and Blakburn could close the gap at the top to 2 and 4 points respectively. Recent results prove that there is still along way to go this season, but 3 points for Musselburgh against Blackburn could be vital as we move forward.

League match against 4th place Blackburn on Saturday.

Musselburgh last played Blackburn almost 6 months ago in the 1/4 final of the F&L cup, winning 3-0. Hopefully we can put Saturday's cup defeat against Haddington behind us, and collect 3 points, and another step forward towards Super League matches next year.

MTB!

Wm Hill has Musselburgh at 1/2 in the betting with Blackburn at 3/1. Blackburn beat Fauldhouse and drew with Haddington in their last 2 league game. So, it is up to Musselburgh to put in a good performance to justify these prices, and I am sure we will do that! Looking forward to tomorrow’s match.

Haha. Made my day!

Yer just a tad bit late as Olivebank is now bursting at the seams! Just waiting on the 13 Blackburn fans to enter the ground and the gate will then be shut wie a full Hoose!

Nae doubt about it! Aw the best today! [emoji106]

So, for avoidance of doubt, my thoughts as a fan, is that Musselburgh deserved the win today against Blackburn. A couple of comments on  another site seems to suggest that Blackburn deserved a draw? 

Based on the first half alone, not a chance! Musselburgh played some great football, and granted that we only went in1-0, I couldn’t see anything other than a victory after 90 minutes.

Conor Thomson with 2 goals, and should have got a hat trick in the 2nd half. Blackburn’s consolation goal was a penalty in the 73 minute.

Another hard league match next week, with a derby match away to Tranent.

Archived