Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

Only had two outfield subs yesterday, so hope the boys who are injured, get better soon. 

Good that we have a strong forward duo in Stephen and Matti, and our defence is solid at the back. Chris Gray is playing consistently well, and I think he is the best centre half we have had in ages. 

Skip has been a sub a few times this season, and I would prefer him to be in the starting line up. Some wayward passes from midfield yesterday Interesting from a St Andrews supporter, who said he thought that Gary Cherry controlled the game from the midfield.

Good debut from Asher, in goal, and not one kick went out for a throw in!

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Musselburgh just need to do what they've been doing so far.

Great atmosphere around the club at the moment, players, fans, management and committee are all aiming in the same direction.  There'll be ups, there'll be downs but it's one of the best times in the (good few) years I've been following the club, really feel everybody's pulling together.  

31 minutes ago, RobM said:

Musselburgh just need to do what they've been doing so far.

Great atmosphere around the club at the moment, players, fans, management and committee are all aiming in the same direction.  There'll be ups, there'll be downs but it's one of the best times in the (good few) years I've been following the club, really feel everybody's pulling together.  

Agree.

For the first time in years, I really wasn't bothered about the start of the season. The first game against Tayport changed that and now can't wait for match day! Calvin and Geordie have got the team playing really well, and although we had a wee dip in form against Dalkeith and Bathgate, Saturday's match up at St Andrews was a return to form, and should have been more than 3-0.

After looking at our twitter page, it is good to see after the transfer window closed, that we retained all of our current squad. The players see they are part of a great squad this season, and on course for a return to the Super League!

After 1/5th of the season gone, we sit in 2nd place. This weekend, focus moves to the East of Scotland cup and for the 2nd week in a row, travel to play St Andrews.

Hopefully will come away with another win, and into the next round.

Missed first game of season with moving home. However, a 5-1victory away to St Andrews seemed at least as comfortable as last week's league match at the same venue. Four different scorers again today, so must be pleasing to the management team the way things are progressing this season. 

Keep it up Musselburgh!

Four competitive away matches this season and all of them won. Scored 17; conceded only 1 with 3 shout-outs. With a new number 1 in place ( hopefully on an extended stay in the team), things are looking good for Musselburgh this season!

Interested neutral on Saturday and A real game if 2 halves.
St Andrews certainly competed for every ball in the 1st half and gave as good as they got. Musselburgh ethic of style of play is very good and driven by some comfortable and decent defenders.
Unfortunately the game kept breaking down for them deep in st Andrews territory through poor choices, throws, free kicks, the lot.
Able to play a more expansive quicker style up the hill in the second half they proceeded to make it look like men against boys. The subs (of which they only had 2 !!!) Made a difference.
To round of a decent game the st Andrews manager brought himself on, and proceeded to make an erse of himself. Culminating in a free kick that may never be recovered from the surrounding fir trees.

Interested neutral on Saturday and A real game if 2 halves.
St Andrews certainly competed for every ball in the 1st half and gave as good as they got. Musselburgh ethic of style of play is very good and driven by some comfortable and decent defenders.
Unfortunately the game kept breaking down for them deep in st Andrews territory through poor choices, throws, free kicks, the lot.
Able to play a more expansive quicker style up the hill in the second half they proceeded to make it look like men against boys. The subs (of which they only had 2 !!!) Made a difference.
To round of a decent game the st Andrews manager brought himself on, and proceeded to make an erse of himself. Culminating in a free kick that may never be recovered from the surrounding fir trees.

Wish I had been at the game Al, just so I could compare your thoughts of the team with mine. Hopefully one of the Burgh fans who was at the game will give comments.

I was there last week and I would say we were better in the 2nd half when shooting down the hill! Also was a tad disappointed in St Andrews as they were in 3rd position, but we appear to have won both matches at a canter!

As the season has gone by, I agree that the defence is strong and 4 clean sheets out of 6 in the league would back that up.

Our set plays aren't always the best, and on occasion too many passes don't go our way.

Some of our guys want to either pass it like Beckham or blast the ball, when an easy pass would be best.

That aside, what we do have this year is we play a lot of quick attacking football which yields goals, scoring 6 in both of our first 2 matches and then 5 at the weekend.

I read your comments before the previous weekend's games, and you saw Fauldhouse getting a good result up at Tayport. Interested in your thoughts as a neutral how you think Fauldhouse and The Burgh compare at this stage of season?

First 7 matches have filled me with confidence in the way we play and I look forward to the remainder of the season.

Finally got my account together on here-was  a bit of a hike off my intended route on Saturday but worth the back view of aw thae tractors! Shandy and Geordie have a good collection of guys who who are working well-will be interesting meeting the Hoose, they must have some new personnel I reckon. Keep the goals coming, we never get tired of them!!!

I notice on the Musselburgh Athletic Facebook, there is a page which looks at the number of appearances for players for the period 1996 up to 2017. 

Well done to the person who has kept these 'history' statistics up to date!

Mathu King is second in that list, having played in 253 matches.  What is equally good is that he is our top goal scorer with 127 goals during that time - 1 in every two games.

It shows what a great servant Matti has been and still is for Musselburgh, and still keeping up a ratio of goals per games that most would be proud of. 

As was said by someone on twitter, disappointing that Matti has not been included in the Scottish Junior football Squad that was recently announced.  Musselburgh may be playing in the Premier League this season, but Matti consistently scored goals in the Super League as well over a number of seasons, and for me, is probably the hardest working, and most effectual player that Musselburgh currently has,

I hope that Matti continues to play for the remainder of this season, and also in 2018-19.  By that time he would most likely become our most player during that time (may even surpass the total of 285 games by the end of this season?) - with his level of performances still at a high!

Well done Matti.

3 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I notice on the Musselburgh Athletic Facebook, there is a page which looks at the number of appearances for players for the period 1996 up to 2017. 

Well done to the person who has kept these 'history' statistics up to date!

Mathu King is second in that list, having played in 253 matches.  What is equally good is that he is our top goal scorer with 127 goals during that time - 1 in every two games.

It shows what a great servant Matti has been and still is for Musselburgh, and still keeping up a ratio of goals per games that most would be proud of. 

As was said by someone on twitter, disappointing that Matti has not been included in the Scottish Junior football Squad that was recently announced.  Musselburgh may be playing in the Premier League this season, but Matti consistently scored goals in the Super League as well over a number of seasons, and for me, is probably the hardest working, and most effectual player that Musselburgh currently has,

I hope that Matti continues to play for the remainder of this season, and also in 2018-19.  By that time he would most likely become our most player during that time (may even surpass the total of 285 games by the end of this season?) - with his level of performances still at a high!

Well done Matti.

Totally agree Casey. Great servant to the club and a top lad aswell. Long may it continue.

There have been plenty great goals from Matty - my personal favourite was the winner up at Lochee in the Scottish Cup. #scenes

Totally agree Casey. Great servant to the club and a top lad aswell. Long may it continue.
There have been plenty great goals from Matty - my personal favourite was the winner up at Lochee in the Scottish Cup. #scenes

Benny. If I am right, that was the match that Lochee were winning and then spent most of the 2nd half time wasting. We then scored in injury time and scenes were glorious! Lochee then started to run about again but it was tooo late! Nearly fell down the hill celebrating the win! [emoji3]

So another victory in the league; 6 out of 7 with the other drawn. Day made better with The Hoose dropping their first 2 points of the season up at St Andrews.

With Haddington also winning again, the top 3 just separated by 3 points, so looks like season could be a tight one.

Mon the Burgh

Surprised to see Stephen McDonald on the bench today, and wasn't all that fussed with Ally returning after a 2 game absence.

However, Ally had a good match. After 15 mins he dived to his right hand side making a great save, when it looked like Thornton would score. Five mins later he blocked a shot when 1 on 1.

Thornton hit the bar in 27 mins so Burgh had another lucky escape. Then 2 minutes to half time Jed hit a free kick from the left hand side and the ball went straight in at the far away side of net. Great goal.

Thornton were down to 10 men at half time as their players were too mouthy. Then another 2 got booked for more comments to ref, so no lessons learned!

Matti hit post in 1st minute of 2nd half. Then on 10 mins, good move down left hand side and Ralton with a great through ball to match, but keeper made a fine save from Matti K

A few minutes later Matti was one on one but hit ball straight to goalie.

20 mins into 2nd half and Thornton should have levelled from a free kick as they were in at goal but a soft header to Ally eased pressure for us.

Two mins later, Stephen McDonald had a shot across the goal narrowly missing the target.

Michael Moffat did have the ball in the net but referee blew for offside.

Matti then had another chance to increase the lead, trying to chip goalie with 10 mins left but keeper made good save.

Soon after that Thornton were down to 9 men when the number 5 made a last man boot at our player.

Deserved 1-0 win and it should have been more.

Keep it going Burgh!

Archived