Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Musselburgh win their next 2 league games, which is achievable the way we are playing, then by the end of the first month of this season, we would win as many league games as we did in the whole of last season.

I was gutted that we were relegated, but as the Fish says, it feels good to be doing so well, and great to talk to fellow supporters as we leave he ground about how well the team are playing. Long may it continue.

So today, we huffed and we puffed, but just couldn't break the Bathgate defence down. Not even sure that the goalkeeper had to make a good save? 

Plenty of posession and were the better team. I suppose the saving grace is that we didn't concede a goal, so remain unbeaten, but now are 2 points behind the league leaders, Faulhouse.

Two trips in a row now to the north of Fife. We play 3rd place St Andrews in the league next Saturday, and then again the following week in the East of Scotland cup. Potentially two tough games in a row.

First game of the new campaign without a goal, but also the 3rd game without conceding a goal, so that is a positive to take into the next game. Two thoughts for the day!

The laddie Ally needs to be told before each game that as a goalie, his job is to protect the goal mouth area and not go on a wonder whenever he likes. Second game in a row where the wind was a factor in the 90minutes, and with about 15 minutes to go, he was so far out of position, that if the Bathgate defender, who shot from just inside the Musselburgh half, was on target, they would have scored. Was our luck that it looked like he was aiming for the corner flag. Get the management team to look at the video and they can how far he roams about! 

The linesman on the far away side from the dugout had a howling match! Just hope the referee supervisor wasn't watching him! Someone needs to remind him that the flag was there to be used! His only good point, was when he waived furiously when a Bathgate player was way offside in the 2nd half. Must do better next time!

Most of the Musselburgh players had a good game, but we just couldn't hit the target. Their number 5 was their best player. A few injured players meant that we only had one outfield player who could come on as sub, helpfully a couple of players are able to return next week, as the management team have made good use of the squad in previous games.

Look forward to next week's game against St Andrews. 3rd against 2nd, so should be a good game, with the Burgh hopefully back to winning games.

I suppose sometimes this season, games are not going to go your way. Apart from one 'chance' with our goalie being off his goal line, and a long shot which was off target, Musselburgh were rarely troubled by Bathgate. Lots of good performances for Musselburgh. However, lots of wayward passes, and their keeper rarely troubled.

Thought Bradley Whyte had his best game for Musselburgh, but my man of match was Chris Gray. All but one of his headers in the air were won, and he had a few great passes from one side of the field to the other, just like in the game against Dunbar. Defence is playing much better this season, compared to last which must be pleasing to the management team.

I thought we would get another victory today, but going through the first 5 games undefeated, is a great start to the season.

Mon the Burgh.

16 hours ago, kevinmfc said:

Was a shock and a coupon buster for me today. But the hoose are top emoji108.pngemoji108.png

Bit of a shock for me too and the Burgh and the Hi HI's bust my coupon. Two out of top three drawing at home yesterday.

However, we are not going to win them all, and are still in a promotion position, so I will take that at this stage of the season.

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 18:26, Casey Jones said:

First game of the new campaign without a goal, but also the 3rd game without conceding a goal, so that is a positive to take into the next game. Two thoughts for the day!

The laddie Ally needs to be told before each game that as a goalie, his job is to protect the goal mouth area and not go on a wonder whenever he likes. Second game in a row where the wind was a factor in the 90minutes, and with about 15 minutes to go, he was so far out of position, that if the Bathgate defender, who shot from just inside the Musselburgh half, was on target, they would have scored. Was our luck that it looked like he was aiming for the corner flag. Get the management team to look at the video and they can how far he roams about! 

The linesman on the far away side from the dugout had a howling match! Just hope the referee supervisor wasn't watching him! Someone needs to remind him that the flag was there to be used! His only good point, was when he waived furiously when a Bathgate player was way offside in the 2nd half. Must do better next time!

Most of the Musselburgh players had a good game, but we just couldn't hit the target. Their number 5 was their best player. A few injured players meant that we only had one outfield player who could come on as sub, helpfully a couple of players are able to return next week, as the management team have made good use of the squad in previous games.

Look forward to next week's game against St Andrews. 3rd against 2nd, so should be a good game, with the Burgh hopefully back to winning games.

:lol: I thought he had a blinder....

[emoji38] I thought he had a blinder....

Ha ha, Well said Benny. Thought he had a blinder! Heard there are courses available if the grey haired gentleman wanted to make it official. Gid pocket money as well to pay for the beers afterwards!

36 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

It's a beautiful morning in St Andrews for what will hopefully be a cracking game of football.

Enjoy the visit gents(but hopefully not three points).

Cheers patriot. Looking forward to the match!

Great win this afternoon, 10 v 11 for a good stretch but I think we still won well, great performance from The Burgh this afternoon.

Patriot, thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon up your way, great social club and really nice folk at St. Andrews, all the best (apart from next week).

Enjoyed the game today, team are playing really well and the good thing is that we are getting the results that our displays deserve.

Three goals, again by three different players. What a difference that so many others are scoring as opposed to mainly relying on Matti, who did get one of the goals.

Result even better as Rob says, as for more than half the game, we were playing with 10 men. Indeed one of the St Andrews supporters nearby said you would think that it was Musselburgh who were playing with 11. 

Up here again next week, so hopefully the same result will move us into the next round of the East of Scotland cup.

Without doubt Mussey are the best team I've seen this season. We were poor though with far too many long balls played in behind the defence to no one in particular.

I'm glad you enjoyed your day(once you got there). The traffic may be even worse next week with thousands of people travelling to walk over the new bridge. You might want to save yourselves the grief and forfeit the game lol.

Lovely hot and sunny afternoon to watch a football match, and the result will have given all those connected with Musselburgh a warm glow!

Last time we were up at St Andrews was January 2016, when we were both in the Super League. We had beat them earlier in the season, at home, but away, we were humped 3-0 on a pitch, which was wet and in awful condition.

Today we played up the hill in the 1st half, on a pitch which was a credit to the groundsman. Musselburgh had the best of the half, but two yellow cards reduced us to 10 men with Michael M being sent off. Personally thought the 1st yellow wasn't merited, but from where I was standing, second was. However, he was off, and that seemed to be a blow as Moffat is one of our better players. Although a right back, he is always looking for the ball up the right wing, and a great pacy player for us.

Even with 10 men, we took the lead with about 10 minutes to go till half time, with Stephen MacDonald scoring. Matti's comment to Stephen after the goal was either one of the best or worst complement he will have received but as there was a swear word in there, I won't repeat it! Anyway all good banter, and great to go into half time one nil up.

Second half, and we continued to be the dominant team. With about 10 minutes gone, two nil up, with Conor Thomson getting the goal. Not long after, we were three up with probably the best goal of the game from Matti King. Skip had come on as sub, and so pleasing that we have such a naturally gifted young guy coming off the bench, and be involved with the 3rd goal.

Result was definitely merited, against what I would say was a poor St Andrews team on the day. 

Thought there were lots of positives today, and a hard choice for my man of the match. For me it was between Jed and Matty Lynch, but the I'm edging towards Matty as I thought he was the best defender on the park today. Both finished up in different positions to that what they started, due to the sending off, and both showed what versatile players they are. Near the end Tufail made a great save with a dive to the right, and Matty then followed this up with an equally important clearance at his right hand post!

Great game for the Musselburgh fans to watch, and we remain in second place.

Archived