FA Cup 2017/18

Eednud

35 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

So, the fact that I have followed City, as my second team since 1976 from the days of Corrigan, Hartford, Summerbee, Barnes and many other great players, to watching them in League One scramble past Gillingham in a play-off to reach the Championship, then being taken over by Arab sheiks and become successful makes me OFTW?

I’ll agree there’s a lot of Glory Hunters out there but it’s a bit unfair to paint everyone in the same light.

Typical gloryhunter bullshit. Almost up there with "My Granny was from Donegal."

Aside from that, anyone with a "second team" is OFTW.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Typical gloryhunter bullshit. Almost up there with "My Granny was from Donegal."
Aside from that, anyone with a "second team" is OFTW.

Aye. Cos supporting Falkirk is the action of a gloryhunter. Pleased you have such respect for us though [emoji3]
Given your thoughts, what you doing on this thread anyway then?

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Aye. Cos supporting Falkirk is the action of a gloryhunter. Pleased you have such respect for us though emoji3.png
Given your thoughts, what you doing on this thread anyway then?

I'e supported Wigan since my Grandpa was born...

I'e supported Wigan since my Grandpa was born...

Ahh, so you supported a club that was in the Premiership for many years and won the Cup at Wembley a few years ago. But I guess your were not an OFTW then?

What you club is going through is pretty much what City went through for a decade at least. Although Wigan are showing signs of recovery again.

In all honesty, much as the quality of football is great, I kinda understand what you mean. I, and also some of the City supporters I have met too, hanker for the days of Maine Road and the struggle for promotion or just trying to stay in the Premiership.

Sometimes you can get too much of a good thing...

18 hours ago, forameus said:

Absolutely this.  If the quarter finals of the FA Cup just ended up being the top 8 from the Premier League, then that would be tedious, and only worth watching to fans of those teams, people that call the game "footie" and the league "the prem".  Cretins in other words.  Like you I could understand if every match ended up being a classic, but that's rarely the case.  Particularly if some of these sides are still in the Champions League, as it'll reduce any FA Cup games into seeing who can rest the most players without getting put out.  Yay.

Anyway, I'd much rather see more interesting or entertaining games than this modern football shite of "seeing the best players on the pitch".  The Scottish Cup games that were on the BBC have been consistently better to watch for a number of years now - is it because the quality is better?  Absolutely not, but they've still been interesting to watch.  Wigan/City was interesting to watch without having that much quality.

This is why the Scottish Cup is simply better to watch. All of the teams competing in the Scottish Cup want to win it. None of the English teams care about winning theirs until they are in the semi finals. And even then, only if they don't have to worry about securing a Champions League place. The competing clubs don't respect the competition, so why should anyone else?

So the gradual destruction of the FA Cup continues with the FA apparently agreeing to propose abolishing replays and moving rounds midweek to facilitate an EPL winter break.

It won't be a "proper" break though - it will be staggered, with different clubs having it in different weeks, so there isn't any weekend without EPL football.

Of course it'll almost certainly actually be used for glamour friendlies in North America and the Far East, anyway.

Sad times.

23 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Quite happy replays are going as they are shite.

Moving proper matches to midweek is fucking ludicrous though.

This. 

Also, where does this leave the relevance of the League/Carling/Capital One/Carabao Cup? 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

So the gradual destruction of the FA Cup continues with the FA apparently agreeing to propose abolishing replays and moving rounds midweek to facilitate an EPL winter break.

It won't be a "proper" break though - it will be staggered, with different clubs having it in different weeks, so there isn't any weekend without EPL football.

Of course it'll almost certainly actually be used for glamour friendlies in North America and the Far East, anyway.

Sad times.

That’s it in a nutshell Hibee. 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Sad times.

So much for the  magic" of the FA Cup. If that happens, it will only hurt the small clubs and their local businesses financially. The EPL does not need a winter break. The squads are big enough to cope with lengthy injury lists. A staggered approach will benefit the top 6 clubs' and the broadcasters' schedules. As usual, it's all about more money for the big clubs at the expenses of others.

And they'll be better off than if they'd won, even if they lose six-nil. Likewise, Clyde would have been better off if we had scored a deliberate own goal rather than defeating Celtic. No system that rewards draws better than wins should be encouraged.
Possibly, but if you draw away to a big team and then get to play them on your own pitch it can give you a greater chance of getting through.

Archived