FA Cup 2017/18

Eednud

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Moomintroll
Why?
He made an attempt to win the ball. That means it’s yellow. Had he dragged him back it would have been red.
That is the correct answer.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Is the rule now that if he makes a legitimate attempt, he can’t also be sent off? Seems like the ref got that spot on.

Indeed it is. It was a very good decision.

That's why I don't like the new rules. Jones did try to play the ball but there was next to no chance of him actually winning it cleanly without taking Hazard out. It's not really a genuine attempt.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Is the rule now that if he makes a legitimate attempt, he can’t also be sent off? Seems like the ref got that spot on.

No, only a genuine one. :P

That's why I don't like the new rules. Jones did try to play the ball but there was next to no chance of him actually winning it cleanly without taking Hazard out. It's not really a genuine attempt.

That was my take on it. He went in with little chance of making the tackle so to me the intention was to bring Hazard down. Slowed down viewing showed him closer to getting the ball than I initially realised but in real time it looked cynical enough to be a red.

Been that rule for a while.

We suffered away to Maribor with the rule. Rooney missed the penalty as well. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Guest Moomintroll
7 yards from goal he snaps Hazard down while he has a free shot at goal.

Sorry but that’s not an attempt to play the ball.

Should be a red.
It isn't under the new law though.

Been that rule for a while.

We suffered away to Maribor with the rule. Rooney missed the penalty as well. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

That's another one of my problems with the rule. The reason it was brought in was because of the 'double punishment' thing (like when we lost a penalty and Considine in the cup against Celtic a few years ago), but that only works if the player actually scores the penalty.

1 minute ago, Jaggy Snake said:

But in the heat of the moment, Jones wouldn’t know that. It’s the attempt to play the ball that’s important, no matter how futile an attempt it might be.

Archived