Best Fish Supper

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For any Dundee folk that haven't tried Tony's I would recommend it. Unfortunately Dundee isn't blessed with too many decent options but I've been using Tony's for a few years and it is very reasonable. 

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 00:50, lichtgilphead said:

There are 2 Marco's in Arbroath - I assume you mean the one at the Shore? That would be my first choice. Round O is a good call too.

On the West Coast, George Street Fish & Chips in Oban (opposite Waterstones) is the best I've found. 

That wee Oban place is excellent. Regular pit stop for me straight off the Tiree ferry before the drive home.

The well-known chipper in Anstruther is always good but the queues can be ridiculous. Special mention also to the Kinghorn Chip Shop - don't know if it's still the same but went in once years ago and always consider it one of the best I've had.

The Quayside in Gourdon and the Anstruther Fish Bar are probably the best haddock suppers I've had in Scotland. Also remember rating the Fochabers Fish Bar when I was there a while ago, but I've only been once. 

Hass's is probably the best in Aberdeen, although I've not been there in three or four years now. I've been to a couple of places in Edinburgh, but just thought they were very mediocre. 

The Quayside in Gourdon and the Anstruther Fish Bar are probably the best haddock suppers I've had in Scotland. Also remember rating the Fochabers Fish Bar when I was there a while ago, but I've only been once. 
Hass's is probably the best in Aberdeen, although I've not been there in three or four years now. I've been to a couple of places in Edinburgh, but just thought they were very mediocre. 

Edinburgh is a great city in almost every respect but the chippers down here are shocking. The batter is often soggy, fish usually chewy, even in the places that come recommended as the best, what they serve up is usually on a par with average places in the North East. The one near me is probably the best I've had in Edinburgh but it's still not great.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2014 at 19:42, Zetterlund said:

Amazed it got to the 8th post this time before it descended into a chipper vs chippy thread.

The way it has always been for me is, I go to the chipper for a chippy. The chippy is the food and the chipper is the shop.

As said the one in Anstruther is always very good, also I don't know the name of it but I had an excellent chippy from a chipper in Kinghorn a few years back.

On the West coast, I do like a fish supper from the place in Oban by the ferry terminal, it's perfect before the drive home from a work trip on the islands.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

That wee Oban place is excellent. Regular pit stop for me straight off the Tiree ferry before the drive home.

The well-known chipper in Anstruther is always good but the queues can be ridiculous. Special mention also to the Kinghorn Chip Shop - don't know if it's still the same but went in once years ago and always consider it one of the best I've had.

Just how fucking long ago was this?

Most Edinburgh chippies are pretty 'meh'. Giovanni's on Northfield Broadway as mentioned previously is probably the best.

I was in Largs last weekend and went to 'The Fish Works', a newish place that's opened up on the prom.

Hands down the best fish supper I've had in years.

The Wee Hurrie in Troon is excellent. There will be some Ayrshire bumpkins insisting that it's 'shite' and that their greasy village bin is much better: disregard this posturing nonsense. A fish supper is enough for two people given the portion size.

It's the most overrated place in Ayrshire. The queues are too lengthy and it survives off reputation rather than quality. The only reason people go is they think because it's on the harbour that it's somehow fresher than anywhere else. Overcooked and overpriced.

On 05/08/2017 at 19:09, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Most Edinburgh chippies are pretty 'meh'. Giovanni's on Northfield Broadway as mentioned previously is probably the best.

I was in Largs last weekend and went to 'The Fish Works', a newish place that's opened up on the prom.

Hands down the best fish supper I've had in years.

Tailend on the Walk Hendo.  Dolphin on North Junction St supposed to be decent.

1 hour ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Tailend on the Walk Hendo.  Dolphin on North Junction St supposed to be decent.

I've always thought that 'The Dolphin' was a weird name for a fish and chip shop...

Favourite chip shop is Benes in Port Seton, always fresh cooked fish the special fish is absolutely enormous, chips are always cooked to perfection as well, on a bit of a tangent, I was in Carlisle on Friday and had one of the worst fish suppers ever, the fish still had the skin on it , disgusting, as for the chips, peely wally grease sticks, bogging. Don't know if this is an all English thing or just a regional problem.

Archived