Best Fish Supper

14 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The chippy in Clarence Drive was head and shoulders above anything else in the West End for years until it rapidly went downhill after apparently being taken over by the Fredo Corleone of the dynasty that ran it.

That place used to make a fortune at lunchtime when I was at school (Hyndland).  Going off topic, there was a cracking wee bakery next door to it, bridies to die for.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tailend in St Andrews is the best I've ever had by a distance, incredible every time. 

Was there last week for the first time and sat in. Never had the standard fish and chips but a friend I was with said it was immense. I'd highly recommend the Arbroath Smokie with garlic potatoes!

2 hours ago, Ramagamma said:

lunchtime chips sounds a bit much

Shut up, ya fanny.

I've yet to meet this fish supper big enough for two. The issue raises its head at home.

Her: Why don't we share a starter and a fish supper?

Me: f**k off.

There are 2 Marco's in Arbroath - I assume you mean the one at the Shore? That would be my first choice. Round O is a good call too.
On the West Coast, George Street Fish & Chips in Oban (opposite Waterstones) is the best I've found. 

Yes to Oban! A sit in there with a bottle of Jarl is a superb dinner. This was the view when we left there earlier this year.

f10c1d4bfb816b3115416bfbd2b817da.jpg

20 hours ago, stimpy said:

We use Marco's or the round O in Arbroath or the Quayside or whatever its called in Gourdon.
If you found yourself heading down the coast I would definitely bypass the Bay chippy in Stonehaven to go to Gourdon, you'll never look back.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think the Gourdon one has gone notably downhill since it changed hands / name from Hornblower's to the Quayside.  Still, sitting by a nice little harbour after a 10 minute sit-down wait is certainly preferable to standing in a soulless tourist-like queue for half an hour in Stonehaven.  I personally don't even rate the Bay that highly. 

Rumour had it that Hornblower's were moving up to Aberdeen (beach?).  Seen nothing happening on that front though.   

Perhaps it's just me, but I think the Gourdon one has gone notably downhill since it changed hands / name from Hornblower's to the Quayside.  Still, sitting by a nice little harbour after a 10 minute sit-down wait is certainly preferable to standing in a soulless tourist-like queue for half an hour in Stonehaven.  I personally don't even rate the Bay that highly. 
Rumour had it that Hornblower's were moving up to Aberdeen (beach?).  Seen nothing happening on that front though.   

Just never saw the attraction when it was Hornblowers, has gone way up imo since the handover. Subjective I suppose.
The folk were going into a new build where Jimmy Chungs was at the beach but the land owners that they'd be leasing from were mucking about and they lost faith in them and pulled out.
The Bay is overhyped nonsense.

21 hours ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Best Chip shop I've used is the St Andrews in Portobello.    

Punter I was delivering to today in Kings Road recommended that 1 after I told him about a wee day trip I was thinking of having to Portobello, f**k me, dust down the passport eh. Also mentioned the Golden Bite but if I was sticking to the sands then St Andrews was the 1.

13 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Giovanni''s off Portobello Road next to Morrisons is very good indeed. It's quite a distance to the next nearest chippy as well.

As I said the last time this topic came up. Was in there one afternoon and they were in the middle of making an absolute load of fish suppers for the local old folks home Christmas treat. The fish were massive and looked and smelt amazing.

6 minutes ago, supermik said:

As I said the last time this topic came up. Was in there one afternoon and they were in the middle of making an absolute load of fish suppers for the local old folks home Christmas treat. The fish were massive and looked and smelt amazing.

Auld man's c*ck thread for this p*sh.

8 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Yes to Oban! A sit in there with a bottle of Jarl is a superb dinner. This was the view when we left there earlier this year.

f10c1d4bfb816b3115416bfbd2b817da.jpg

^^^^Lunch for me tomorrow.

I'd still prefer Marcos, Tutties & the Gayf vs QP with a championship flag, but life isn't always perfect.

Why TF did I dip into this thread at near midnight after a few drinks and all are shut???

Slavering like a rabid dug here the noo, off to get some shite from somewhere that's open.....

[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Archived