Best Fish Supper

Normally use my local chippy - the Silvery Tay, always a minimum 8 out of 10 but quite often queued out the door. Was in town before a fruitless search for a pub showing the Aberdeen game and popped into The Tailend (formerly the Deep Sea) in the Nethergate. A fantastic fish supper! Batter crispy, not a drop of excess fat, fish not over-cooked. Beats both Anstruther (even without the ridiculous queues) and it's under-rated Pittenweem neighbour hands down... 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was/is a chippy in Coustonholm Road (spelling needs verified) that was in my opinion the best you'll ever get. Not having had one in years I decided to detour to collect one on the way home from work in preparation for a night on the batter. (No pun intended). Looked forward to it all day. Got to chippy, got fish supper and returned to car full of anticipation drove about two miles and had the first bit off the fish. It was fuckin horrid. Stopped ten yards later and binned it.

7 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

There was/is a chippy in Coustonholm Road (spelling needs verified) that was in my opinion the best you'll ever get. Not having had one in years I decided to detour to collect one on the way home from work in preparation for a night on the batter. (No pun intended). Looked forward to it all day. Got to chippy, got fish supper and returned to car full of anticipation drove about two miles and had the first bit off the fish. It was fuckin horrid. Stopped ten yards later and binned it.

Bit of advice. Fish placed on top of chips makes the batter soggy over time...

16 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Jealous of the east coast stuff.

Anstruther Fish Bar was good, but I'm sure there's a million times better places.

The Tailend in St Andrews is the best I've ever had by a distance, incredible every time. 

In my neck of the woods Nicos in Clackmannan and The Allanwater Cafe in Bridge of Allan the best by some distance, although the latter even a medium fish is the size of a fucking whale...never finished one.

Those Blue Lagoon chains are fucking howling, the recently opened one in Stirling is equally as grim as the one near Central Station in Glasgow.

Archived