North Region

EdTheDuck

On ‎11‎-‎08‎-‎2017 at 15:30, EdTheDuck said:

You're not wrong.   http://www.northregionjfa.co.uk/

The attached website isn't bad for fixtures, results & tables being kept up to date, someone does a good job there.

But news is limited, there are no match reports and no match previews, the 10 pictures are 4 and 6 years old and not a single video.

...and finding the website at all was a fluke.

It is clearly just one person doing that so it cannot be easy.....

Clearly there is not the interest there once was perhaps? You look at the difference further South in Scotland, yes there are more people there but they really do make an effort...IMO The North ie Aberdeen is just so far up its own backside at times it just seems to think there is a sense of entitlement with everything, then we will moan about other parts of the world when we are completely in the wrong.

Getting sidetracked there but my point is, as a Region we need to be more bold.

On 14/08/2017 at 08:26, footiefanboy said:

...and they play Deveronside again on Tuesday...then Deveronside play Hermes on Saturday. Could be a few goals there too.

What has happened to Deveronside, up until last season they were a well established super league team, I heard rumours they are in a bit of a mess, rumour also has it  they don't even frequent there Own social club, but go back to a local pub for post match refreshments. strange  if true as going by there Facebook page there social club is booming!! 

7 hours ago, troopio said:

It is clearly just one person doing that so it cannot be easy.....

Clearly there is not the interest there once was perhaps? You look at the difference further South in Scotland, yes there are more people there but they really do make an effort...IMO The North ie Aberdeen is just so far up its own backside at times it just seems to think there is a sense of entitlement with everything, then we will moan about other parts of the world when we are completely in the wrong.

Getting sidetracked there but my point is, as a Region we need to be more bold.

Right or wrong, I dunno about your sentiment being the reason for so few watching the North Juniors. After all the likes of Inverurie & Buckie & Forres can get 300, 400, 500 out for run of the mill league games. Similar sized settlements like Stonehaven & Ellon & Banchory get nowhere like comparable attendances. Is that because it's seen as inferior or because of a lack of profile?

Do the North Juniors actually care about attracting spectators? It seems like its is run as glorified amateurs apart from a few clubs (who should probably be lobbying the HFL so they can reach some kind of potential)

Bold, though, eh?

If ever there was a football league that would benefit from a summer season it's the North Juniors. They're the poor relations of the HFL and any national interest is extinguished in our ritual annual hammerings at the hands of the East & West regions early doors. From November through February it's b*****d Baltic from Stonehaven to Peterhead and all points in between so having June, July and most of August to themselves might reinvigorate the whole organisation running its various leagues and tournaments from March/April through October.

And sort their fixtures out. If folks know where and when games are being played and what competitions they are and how important they are re titles, relegation and promotion, in advance, maybe a few more would wander along.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 20:16, EdTheDuck said:

Right or wrong, I dunno about your sentiment being the reason for so few watching the North Juniors. After all the likes of Inverurie & Buckie & Forres can get 300, 400, 500 out for run of the mill league games. Similar sized settlements like Stonehaven & Ellon & Banchory get nowhere like comparable attendances. Is that because it's seen as inferior or because of a lack of profile?

Do the North Juniors actually care about attracting spectators? It seems like its is run as glorified amateurs apart from a few clubs (who should probably be lobbying the HFL so they can reach some kind of potential)

Bold, though, eh?

If ever there was a football league that would benefit from a summer season it's the North Juniors. They're the poor relations of the HFL and any national interest is extinguished in our ritual annual hammerings at the hands of the East & West regions early doors. From November through February it's b*****d Baltic from Stonehaven to Peterhead and all points in between so having June, July and most of August to themselves might reinvigorate the whole organisation running its various leagues and tournaments from March/April through October.

And sort their fixtures out. If folks know where and when games are being played and what competitions they are and how important they are re titles, relegation and promotion, in advance, maybe a few more would wander along.

Interested to read this take on the North Juniors as a weekly visitor to the West for the last couple of years. Having only been to Spain Park previously, I bowled up to Sunnybank v Stoneywood Parkvale yesterday. Facilities can't be faulted, including a pitch as likely to survive winter as good as many more illustrious outfits nationwide and a competitive game too. Standard? Too subjective a topic to feel qualified to comment upon by the likes of me. Summer football? It might cause as many problems as it solves and is it any better than seeing what hiring out Forfar and Montrose for a few triple headers with help from the association that benefits from a more national spread to their product would do?

I know this is old ground, but the highland league is (barring the bottom few teams) roughly the same standard as the premier leagues in the east and west. I don't know the east that well, but I think considering the catchment area, the north region premier league compares reasonably well to the West super first.

I agree that crowds aren't terrific, particularly outside Aberdeen where you'd expect the clubs in the more populous areas to pick up at least some local support, but on the whole I think its a well run league that is about as good a standard as it can hope for with the finances and club structures of the Highland League being what they are. 

38 minutes ago, chris123 said:

I know this is old ground, but the highland league is (barring the bottom few teams) roughly the same standard as the premier leagues in the east and west. I don't know the east that well, but I think considering the catchment area, the north region premier league compares reasonably well to the West super first.

I agree that crowds aren't terrific, particularly outside Aberdeen where you'd expect the clubs in the more populous areas to pick up at least some local support, but on the whole I think its a well run league that is about as good a standard as it can hope for with the finances and club structures of the Highland League being what they are. 

I remember hearing Colony Park - then in the bottom tier - got 1300 for their league decider in 2015/16. There's League 1 teams who'd like that - I think CP have a huge youth setup and, of course, sit next tae Inverurie Locos.

Was at Longside v Glentanar relegation-promotion playoff in 2011 (at Ellon, midway, on a Wednesday night) and counted 320.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at my first North Region game of the season yesterday, Lewis United v Dufftown at ASV. Strange place to watch a game, certainly a lot different to East End over the fence where I have been a handful of times. Also visit Hillhead to see the Uni occasionally although normally for BUCs games (or previously u20s games on Mondays) and have been to Bank's O'Dee before. As for the game yesterday, Dufftown had loads of possession but didn't really dominate until late on. Young winger on loan from City was a handful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 27/09/2017 at 22:03, EdTheDuck said:

213lldf.jpg

Jings min, fit a logjam; 2 pts separate top 7

Above table was posted on 27 September17, which shows Culter having played 3 league matches. Move on 4 1/2 months later, and Culter now played a total of 5 League matches, with 21 still to be played before end of season.

Contrast that to St Andrews who have played 21 league matches in East Premier League with 9 still to play.

Must be a drag being a supporter of one of the North Super League teams,  with Colony Park having played the most League games (9)!

30 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Above table was posted on 27 September17, which shows Culter having played 3 league matches. Move on 4 1/2 months later, and Culter now played a total of 5 League matches, with 21 still to be played before end of season.

Contrast that to St Andrews who have played 21 league matches in East Premier League with 9 still to play.

Must be a drag being a supporter of one of the North Super League teams,  with Colony Park having played the most League games (9)!

qqbo84.png

Think you might be looking at an old table

Mind you it is still a drag being a supporter of North Junior Super League teams...

7 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

qqbo84.png

Think you might be looking at an old table

Mind you it is still a drag being a supporter of North Junior Super League teams...

Sorry about that Ed. But I got it from the main Sjfa website, where it has all the West, East and North info in the same page. 

Just checked again & got same info.

27 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Sorry about that Ed. But I got it from the main Sjfa website, where it has all the West, East and North info in the same page. 

Just checked again & got same info.

No problem. I bet Regan took all the up to date stuff with him when he scarpered last week

Archived