Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

By about noon tomorrow nobody will remember anything about that game apart from the result.  Still, that suits me fine.  How many times over the years have we played games that should been workmanlike, dull 2-0 wins and turned out to be stomach-churning, shambolic grinds? 

Yup. It was efficient. Never threatened. Did what was needed.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mulgrew's ability to bring the ball out from defence is undervalued given our other limited options at CB. We really missed it when he went off, and Brown having to drop deeper to receive the ball made Scotland drop deeper.
I really wasn't impressed with Phillips tonight, but there's still plenty more of him to see in a Scotland shirt, especially in games where we are chasing and need to counter. Tonight didn't suit him.

2 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

It's important to view the performances through rational eyes.   

Tierney, Robertson, Mulgrew, Brown, Armstrong, and Griffiths have to play.    

Gordon did well in Lithuania but was poor against England.   

Phillips had a good 45 min in Lithuania followed by a poor 135 mins.  

Forrest offered little in both games.  

This is the area we need to change.   

Ryan Fraser, Barrie McKay, and Ollie Burke are the options though.  Not Ritchie or Snodgrass.  

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Mulgrew's ability to bring the ball out from defence is undervalued given our other limited options at CB. We really missed it when he went off, and Brown having to drop deeper to receive the ball made Scotland drop deeper.
I really wasn't impressed with Phillips tonight, but there's still plenty more of him to see in a Scotland shirt, especially in games where we are chasing and need to counter. Tonight didn't suit him.

100% agree.  

Phillips had a mare tonight, but I want to see him wide right for 90 until we fully right him off.  

I thought that was a professional performance. We knew what we had to do and accomplished it.

Robertson is a class act. Our best player by some distance and playing for Liverpool will only make him better.

The only change I would make would be Ritchie/Fraser for Forrest. 

But first time we have taken 6 points from a double header in 10 years so no complaints.

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I thought that was a professional performance. We knew what we had to do and accomplished it.

Robertson is a class act. Our best player by some distance and playing for Liverpool will only make him better.

The only change I would make would be Ritchie/Fraser for Forrest. 

But first time we have taken 6 points from a double header in 10 years so no complaints.

Bizarrely Phillips and now Robertson listed.  

Twas fairly obvious that Stuart Armstrong was the best player tonight in blue, wasn't it?   

I rate Phillips highly, but I thought his decision making let him down tonight. He was poor in the first half, improved slightly in the second. He is sometimes lacking an element of composure when he works himself into a good shooting position, too. I would agree with Accies1874 above that Mulgrew's composure on the ball is an underrated asset, especially against opposition like Malta. Armstrong has slotted into the team seamlessly since Slovenia, acquitted himself well again tonight. 

Overall, happy enough with that performance; no outstanding individual showings, but a professional job done - and another clean sheet.

2 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Bizarrely Phillips and now Robertson listed.  

Twas fairly obvious that Stuart Armstrong was the best player tonight in blue, wasn't it?   

Sorry I meant Robertson is our best player overall. I think he will get better and better and hope his move to Liverpool will take him to the next level.

Armstrong was excellent tonight and barring a bad mistake vs England has been excellent for us. Armstrong could easily make the step up to a bigger stage.

Pretty pleased with how we are playing at present.

After results tonight if my maths are correct if we win our 2 games it's hard to be the worst 2nd placed team- Greece are on 10 with 2 games to play but one is against Gibraltar which doesn't count so max they can get is 13. Bosnia have 8 have to play Belgium at home and away to Estonia so max they can get is 14. We have 8 so two wins make 14. ( not sure what happens when same points take it it's goal difference where Bosnia plus 11si far superior) in Ireland's group a Serbia draw or win would be great for us- ireland have 10 so a win or draw for Serbia would mean best Ireland can get is 13 or 14 with there last games against Moldova home which wouldn't count and Wales away. Wales have 8 same as us Moldova tomoz which shouldn't could then if the win there 2 games against Georgia away and Ireland home they would also have 14

Not very good.. 2 nil at home against Malta?
Positives - Armstrong, Berra, Phillips.
Awful - Broon, Forrest
Meh- Griffiths, Robertson
Northern Ireland don't have any superstars IIRC but punch well above their weight. We labour against Malta...

It's weird how differently people see these games.

I thought brown did absolutely fine, his usual solid game.

I felt Griffiths and Phillips were both poor. Phillips wasted a lot and looked like his confidence took a knock and the thumb was just woeful whenever he was in a good position. Movement still good but there was at least one cross that he should've got in front of the defender for.

Robertson was my motm, although I thought Armstrong was v good. Every clear cut chance seemed to come from Robertson penetrating their back line (ooh er).

23 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Tierney's better.

He's got a lot of potential and is already a very good player but Robertson is a better player just now.

I think regular football for Liverpool will also really benefit Robertson.

Hopefully Tierney will move to a higher level in 2/3 years. He doesn't need to move just now as regular football at his age is good for his development.

1 hour ago, H Wragg said:

Seeding c***s that weren't good enough to win their groups. emoji849.png

Yes, I know we knew the rules before we started but what a fiddle.

Yup.

TFS could end up with more points than England and still be unneeded for the playoffs.

We won, that is the main thing. 

We've got a chance, but so do the other two. I think Slovakia are the strongest and favourites for second, but one game as it comes. 

How sweet it would be to do the opposite of what we often do -start well but fade.

Mon Scotland! Just once, prove yourselves to not be the cliche we tend to be.

Archived