Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 wins and 2nd place
3 wins and a draw maybe
anything less and we won't need to worry about the hooligan problem....

It is actually possible but highly unlikely he will have the balls to throw caution to the wind and go for it.

I'm not sure throwing caution to the wind is the right plan.

They're all very different games (although the two away games could be very similar in terms of our approach).

The momentum we'll get if we win this first one will be massive. We'll beat Malta and then you're really close. Touching distance.

It all comes down to this first game.

And even that could see us get torn to shreds.  If it was as simple as saying "show some attacking intent" then you could just grab any tit off the street to manage football teams.  We need to be attacking teams like Malta and Lithuania to get those 6 points, but I don't think Slovenia away is going to be quite as simple as that.  We're weak at the back, and leaving them exposed is only really going to work if we're confident of scoring more than they can.  Unlikely.

Having said that we should be putting down a marker against Malta.  Hopefully at that point we've already picked up 3 points in our standard tricky away tie against a "diddy", so putting Malta to the sword by a few will stand us in good stead.  We then go into a home match against a side we can but not necessarily should beat.  

I can't see how anyone can be confident of getting a win in Lithuania, they were much better than us at hampden and our strikers are atrocious. Martin fletcher and naismith ffs.

Dour draw on the friday night and malta at hampden will be a dead rubber.

Guest DAVIDB69
I can't see how anyone can be confident of getting a win in Lithuania, they were much better than us at hampden and our strikers are atrocious. Martin fletcher and naismith ffs.

We always have them in our group and we never win there, exactly two years since the last disaster there

3 hours ago, F_T_Y said:

The only reason Lithuania were our equal ( saying they were much better than us at Hampden is rewriting history ) was Strachan's team selection.     

RB   Calum Paterson.  
CB   Grant Hanley
CM  Darren Fletcher  ( finished I'm afraid)  
RM  Matt Ritchie ( wasted on the wing)
CF   Chris Martin.    

With a sensible team selection, I'd expect a narrow Scotland victory.    We have better players. 

Why is Morrison not in the squad? Starting for West Brom today. Presumed he was injured.

Strachan never promised him a game probs

I can't see us not conceding - that's for sure - just depends if Strachan makes a mess of things and starts Forrest and Snodgrass. Genuinely no idea what to do with the back four. Would Fletcher at right back make us a bit more solid? Disregarding that I would go for....

McGregor

Martin Mulgrew
Tierney Robertson

Brown Cairney

Phillips Armstrong Fraser

Griffiths

6 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Why is Morrison not in the squad? Starting for West Brom today. Presumed he was injured.

In fairness to Strachan, Morrison hadn't played in any of West Brom's games up until now.  But yeah, he should be starting for Scotland as well.  I'd imagine he'll get called up if one of the midfielders gets hurt.

In fairness to Strachan, Morrison hadn't played in any of West Brom's games up until now.  But yeah, he should be starting for Scotland as well.  I'd imagine he'll get called up if one of the midfielders gets hurt.

He'll possibly come in now that Cairney has withdrawn.

Being a better player than those in your position usually means you should start for Scotland.  Most players playing in England are better in their position than those playing elsewhere, in our case at least.  So yeah, if you're getting a game for an English Premier League side, you probably should be starting for Scotland.

I'm not getting where the "Lithuania were much better than us is coming from.  They weren't.  We allowed them to get ahead because we were absolutely shameful, and then spent the rest of the game well on top without creating much.  That doesn't mean we're automatically going to roll them over on Friday, but we should win.  If both teams play to their relative qualities, we'd be favourites.  Not that that is in any way guaranteed.

Guest DAVIDB69

What we wanting with Slovakia and Slovenia presumably a draw , even if we win these two games , if Slovakia beat Slovenia that's pretty much it anyway . Not convinced England have won this group yet

Guest DAVIDB69
The squad is all picked by the manager so the pressure is on him, its his responsibility completely. Strachan had conceded the group before a ball was kicked, we all know that. I very much doubt if the other managers - Malta apart - would have convinced their players that second place was as good as it could get. The man is star struck by the English Second division.

Exactly Slovakia especially won't have they will be going to Wembley looking to win to go top

Archived