Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No real surprises aside from McGregor

Who would actually replace Hanley in the squad?

I'd like to see Liam Lindsay in there once he gets up and running at Barnsley but for the moment I don't really see anyone capable

It annoys me when people just throw names in for the sake of moaning

Kenny McLean has been rank rotten this season and Tony Ralston is 18 and played a couple of games ffs. It's unlikely they are going to be chucked into a vital qualifier is it not?

McGregor is the only one who really puzzles me, he's been great for Celtic for a while now

Great Post Marko

McLean has been rubbish for Aberdeen for Months hence his lack of a call up end of...he is after his move to Rangers and this is showing in his performances.....I am not one of these Dons fans who will run down Union Street because a Player wants to join Rangers as he isn't that big a loss anyway.

It worries me that Mulgrew is called up playing for dirge like Blackburn and Hanley who hasbt played in what feels like an eternity....

McGregor not being called up and Strachan then admitting he has promised certain players a call up out of Loyalty smacks of the act of a desperate fool who is a dead man walking.

Its pretty clear from reading comments here and on other forums, that hardly anyone agrees with the players selected by Strachan and that many are completely baffled by many of his inclusions. Even if the manager believes there is a slim chance of qualification (there isn't), the mere fact of playing most of the same players who have failed in this and previous campaigns shows he is a very poor judge of players. His obsession with the English Second Division, to the exclusion of players with European experience and cup finals etc shows his complete disregard for football in this country. Thankfully for him, as he lives in a different country , he is able to avoid much of the flak, and even when "questioned" by boot-licking interviewers, is able to shrug them off with his insolence and so-called witticisms. His contract is obviously completely different from any other International coach, who would all have been dismissed after even ONE failed campaign. He realises this and no doubt feels it his right to decide when HE  leaves the job. In a way it serves us right for putting up with this nonsense and turning up for games. I have knocked that idea on the head years ago. I don't mind admitting that the inclusion of Englishmen to represent us finished me. I understand that others don't mind this kind of thing, that's just my choice. Maybe just as bad as that is the  - Celtic apart - complete disregard for players who ply their trade in this country and are invisible in the eyes of selectors, regardless of their form or ability, whilst at the same time nonentities are being capped on a regular basis by being either squad players, clubless, or out of form in a rich but pedestrian league elsewhere.

On the basis of above, it is my opinion that even should the next two games bring in 6 pts, against pitiful opponents, the campaign will again be a failure and that the manager should not be in a position to decide his own fate. The successor will be chosen by those who have appointed the previous incompetents, so whats to look forward to ?

8 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Its pretty clear from reading comments here and on other forums, that hardly anyone agrees with the players selected by Strachan and that many are completely baffled by many of his inclusions. Even if the manager believes there is a slim chance of qualification (there isn't), the mere fact of playing most of the same players who have failed in this and previous campaigns shows he is a very poor judge of players. His obsession with the English Second Division, to the exclusion of players with European experience and cup finals etc shows his complete disregard for football in this country. Thankfully for him, as he lives in a different country , he is able to avoid much of the flak, and even when "questioned" by boot-licking interviewers, is able to shrug them off with his insolence and so-called witticisms. His contract is obviously completely different from any other International coach, who would all have been dismissed after even ONE failed campaign. He realises this and no doubt feels it his right to decide when HE  leaves the job. In a way it serves us right for putting up with this nonsense and turning up for games. I have knocked that idea on the head years ago. I don't mind admitting that the inclusion of Englishmen to represent us finished me. I understand that others don't mind this kind of thing, that's just my choice. Maybe just as bad as that is the  - Celtic apart - complete disregard for players who ply their trade in this country and are invisible in the eyes of selectors, regardless of their form or ability, whilst at the same time nonentities are being capped on a regular basis by being either squad players, clubless, or out of form in a rich but pedestrian league elsewhere.

On the basis of above, it is my opinion that even should the next two games bring in 6 pts, against pitiful opponents, the campaign will again be a failure and that the manager should not be in a position to decide his own fate. The successor will be chosen by those who have appointed the previous incompetents, so whats to look forward to ?

That is my Fave post ever on here. Amazing

46 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Love the bolded part.  We know you hate the English, so obviously you don't mind admitting it given it permeates every single post you make. 

So they don't sack him after they drop 2 points (from a winning position) in the last international window, but getting full points from the next 2 games should lead to him getting sacked?

Aye.  Ok.  The only way he's going is if he drops points, and even then it's unlikely.  He'll be gone at the end of the campaign, given them some time to make the right decision ahead of matches that actually matter.  I've got no interest in them rushing it just so we can get some jobber in to manage two matches that mean absolutely nothing.  If it becomes mathematically confirmed we can't qualify before the final window, the SFA should announce that he'll be leaving at the end of his contract.  I see no point in just punting him given it's pretty much never worked for us in the recent past.

48 minutes ago, forameus said:

Love the bolded part.  We know you hate the English, so obviously you don't mind admitting it given it permeates every single post you make. 

So they don't sack him after they drop 2 points (from a winning position) in the last international window, but getting full points from the next 2 games should lead to him getting sacked?

Aye.  Ok.  The only way he's going is if he drops points, and even then it's unlikely.  He'll be gone at the end of the campaign, given them some time to make the right decision ahead of matches that actually matter.  I've got no interest in them rushing it just so we can get some jobber in to manage two matches that mean absolutely nothing.  If it becomes mathematically confirmed we can't qualify before the final window, the SFA should announce that he'll be leaving at the end of his contract.  I see no point in just punting him given it's pretty much never worked for us in the recent past.

I hadn't bolded any part of the post and I certainly don't hate the English. I just don't want them to represent us at football. Ive explained why, before. If you are happy to have a Scotland team with non Scots that's your choice. In case you hadn't noticed, we have 4 professional leagues in our own country with more than enough players to field a team of 11. Some of them are pretty good as well, even Thistle players.

I also didn't say he should be sacked if we gain two wins from the next games. that should have happened a couple of years ago. Perhaps you ought to read the post properly before commenting. If you disagree with any or all of it, that's fine but theres really no need for rudeness.

In response to Mr Moonster, its not the inclusion of anyone in particular, but you all know as well as I do that every single non Scot has been an Englishman who has realised he isn't good enough to represent his own country, so decides to search his ancestry for a ship of convenience. Lets face it, if they were any good, they would be playing for their own country. That kind of thing may suit Ireland and Wales , as they don't have a professional league to speak of, but theres absolutely no need for us to do it. How would you like it if you were a professional footballer playing for, say, Aberdeen and doing well (e.g. Shinnie, May,McLean, Christie, ) and be continually by-passed for international recognition by players who have never even set foot in this country and who have been part of continued failure in previous campaigns ?

I await no doubt accusations of further anti Englishness, lol.

Just now, Dullard Bluteau said:

I hadn't bolded any part of the post

I know you didn't, I did :unsure2:

6 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

I certainly don't hate the English. I just don't want them to represent us at football. Ive explained why, before. If you are happy to have a Scotland team with non Scots that's your choice. In case you hadn't noticed, we have 4 professional leagues in our own country with more than enough players to field a team of 11. Some of them are pretty good as well, even Thistle players.I also didn't say he should be sacked if we gain two wins from the next games. that should have happened a couple of years ago. Perhaps you ought to read the post properly before commenting. If you disagree with any or all of it, that's fine but theres really no need for rudeness.

I'm fairly confident that we need a little more than "enough players to field an 11" at International level.  Slightly more confident (although not by much) than I am in saying that there's no Thistle players close to good enough to represent Scotland.  

As for your other point...

On the basis of above, it is my opinion that even should the next two games bring in 6 pts, against pitiful opponents, the campaign will again be a failure and that the manager should not be in a position to decide his own fate.

So what did you mean by that then?  Even if you didn't directly say he should be sacked, the inference is there.  And even if it wasn't, it's still an absolutely ridiculous thing to say that maximum points from two games means anything South of par.  They've not failed anything yet, even though they're very likely to.  6 points would see us no closer to failure then we are now.  If we drop points, absolutely it's a failure, and a pretty bad one.  Won't get many defending that.  But if we win both then surely you can hold the knicker-wetting until we likely fail in the following window?

7 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Lets face it, if they were any good, they would be playing for their own country. That kind of thing may suit Ireland and Wales , as they don't have a professional league to speak of, but theres absolutely no need for us to do it. How would you like it if you were a professional footballer playing for, say, Aberdeen and doing well (e.g. Shinnie, May,McLean, Christie, ) and be continually by-passed for international recognition by players who have never even set foot in this country and who have been part of continued failure in previous campaigns ?

All very well to say, but a player on the fringes of the England squad but who is unlikely to feature with Scottish eligibility is still likely to be a much better player than anything we have available.  And that's all that should come into it.  The object is to win games, not to sit back while everyone else goes to a major tournament saying "aye, they were shite, but at least they were Scots, ken".  Very interesting to say that "that kind of thing" suits Ireland and Wales, given that both are now in a far better position than we've been.  

I know it might be considered mental, but I'd rather the best players we could play within FIFA's rules played for us, rather than some antiquated "but he's no Scottish" viewpoint.  Particularly when the latter means we're actively weakening our team considerably.  You talk about failure in previous campaigns?  Making us worse isn't going to magically equal success, is it?

22 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I see both sides of this debate. Proper sitting on the fence.

I guess ideally, I'd like a tightening up of FIFA rules regarding eligibility. But it appears they're traveling in the opposite direction.

I'm quite happy for us to pick anyone who is eligible, though I was dismayed last night by Kris Commons on Sportsound, who constantly referred to England as 'we' and got a bit over-excited talking about England's '66 WC win. At least try to pull the wool over our eyes, Kris!

1 hour ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

In response to Mr Moonster, its not the inclusion of anyone in particular, but you all know as well as I do that every single non Scot has been an Englishman who has realised he isn't good enough to represent his own country, so decides to search his ancestry for a ship of convenience. Lets face it, if they were any good, they would be playing for their own country. That kind of thing may suit Ireland and Wales , as they don't have a professional league to speak of, but theres absolutely no need for us to do it. How would you like it if you were a professional footballer playing for, say, Aberdeen and doing well (e.g. Shinnie, May,McLean, Christie, ) and be continually by-passed for international recognition by players who have never even set foot in this country and who have been part of continued failure in previous campaigns ?

The failure of the manager to pick players from our league is not the fault of English born players who want to play for Scotland, nor are these players any less enthused to play for us. It's nonsense.

The failure of the manager to pick players from our league is not the fault of English born players who want to play for Scotland, nor are these players any less enthused to play for us. It's nonsense.

Any less enthused?

Not sure about that. You're right that it's not their fault, and they can't be blamed.

But it's not difficult to nod at the right time and make the right noises if it gets you a wee bonus international career.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Any less enthused?

Not sure about that. You're right that it's not their fault, and they can't be blamed.

But it's not difficult to nod at the right time and make the right noises if it gets you a wee bonus international career.

Put yourself in these players shoes. When you're not picked for an International game you go to your work as normal and most likely get a day off when the Internationals are being played. If you genuinely weren't bothered about playing for Scotland why would you sacrifice leisure time that could be spent with your family to go traipsing across Europe with a bunch of folk you don't want to play with? What bonus do you get from an international career with Scotland? Never qualifying for any tournaments? Playing well against big teams but ultimately losing? Being horsed in Lithuania and being made a laughing stock by fans and media alike? And in the event we do make it to a tournament, these players then need to give up most of their summer off to go and be humped out at the group stages? Playing for Scotland hardly gives a player world wide recognition, I'm failing to see what positives there are for players who aren't really bothered about playing.

These guys love football, are professionals and surely have a fair amount of pride in their work, the notion that they just turn up to collect a cap seems far-fetched nonsense to me.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

True, a versatile young in form player with European experience. Dont have many of those I think.

Versatility isn't really particularly important for an international squad.  You're allowed 12 subs, and if someone gets injured you can always call up someone else.

Put yourself in these players shoes. When you're not picked for an International game you go to your work as normal and most likely get a day off when the Internationals are being played. If you genuinely weren't bothered about playing for Scotland why would you sacrifice leisure time that could be spent with your family to go traipsing across Europe with a bunch of folk you don't want to play with? What bonus do you get from an international career with Scotland? Never qualifying for any tournaments? Playing well against big teams but ultimately losing? Being horsed in Lithuania and being made a laughing stock by fans and media alike? And in the event we do make it to a tournament, these players then need to give up most of their summer off to go and be humped out at the group stages? Playing for Scotland hardly gives a player world wide recognition, I'm failing to see what positives there are for players who aren't really bothered about playing.
These guys love football, are professionals and surely have a fair amount of pride in their work, the notion that they just turn up to collect a cap seems far-fetched nonsense to me.

You're massively under playing the positives.

That Wales team last year will go down in folklore. Actual footballing legends, and that's more than anything you can get at a club.

There's a status to being an international, and it'll help their contracts in the future.

I also didn't say they didn't want it. I'm sure they do, and I'm sure they're committed. But you said 'enthused'. And that for me is something different.

It's like at a club. Some players really buy into a club and some are very much journeymen.

I think there's still something special about international football. A certain buzz about representing your country.

Versatility isn't really particularly important for an international squad.  You're allowed 12 subs, and if someone gets injured you can always call up someone else.

True but come tournaments (lol) its a big plus also its handy to change formations during games,used up your subs or if down to 10 men etc.

Archived