Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Because by in large players enjoy playing for him.

Scott macdonald was raving about him on the radio a while back, and explaining that he's completely different from his public persona. This was backed up by the journalists who all pointed out that it was common knowledge that his media relations was just a shtick.

Now I'm fine with someone arguing that they don't like this approach. But to think that's how he actually is with the players is just silly.

Who said that's how he is with the players,  the fact he's on TV every year saying the same thing he genuinely believes it so the players will too, he says the too wee thing all the time, not something I, m making up just a fact and there's been umpteen threads about it.

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Surely this is the norm.

You can't start a fresh every single match squad. You get yourself into the squad and then you fight to make yourself a regular.

Yes you need to drop or bring in players but you keep the foundations of your squad.

Agreed, but you don't go to the other extreme of calling up the same old faces time and time again regardless of form or current level.

Who said that's how he is with the players,  the fact he's on TV every year saying the same thing he genuinely believes it so the players will too, he says the too wee thing all the time, not something I, m making up just a fact and there's been umpteen threads about it.

All I ever see you post in here is how much you hate Strachan and Chris Martin.

Lighten up m8.

Yep there's still the usual clutch of about 7 or 8 that have been in every competitive squad since about 2010, who have consistantly got Scotland to 3rd or 4th in each group. 

Surely it's time for diffrerent pesonnel in certain positions? Can Aberdeen or Celtic or St Johnstone players be that much worse than guys playing for Norwich and Derby and Wednesday? It's worth remembering that the standard in the Championship is average at best. 

Guest DAVIDB69
Yep there's still the usual clutch of about 7 or 8 that have been in every competitive squad since about 2010, who have consistantly got Scotland to 3rd or 4th in each group. 
Surely it's time for diffrerent pesonnel in certain positions? Can Aberdeen or Celtic or St Johnstone players be that much worse than guys playing for Norwich and Derby and Wednesday? It's worth remembering that the standard in the Championship is average at best. 

Standard in the championship is shockingly bad. Don't forget a lot of these 7 or 8 rarely get games for these teams

Was he not slagged last time for basically playing the Celtic starting 11 (or as close as he could)?

If Strachan hadn't shoehorned Matt Ritchie into a winning team last campaign I'm fairly sure we'd have qualified.   

There's no point continuing to play players if it doesn't work.   The three notables from this squad are Grant Hanley, Matt Ritchie, and Chris Martin.   

Considering that the squad are not together yet are you suggesting he phones them all individually to tell them he's delighted with his options but he's going to moan to the media

"right Broony, I'm loving our squad, that's for sure, but just for a laugh I'm going to do another negative press conference in front of the nation, don't be put off, you know that's my way, that's for sure"

"Going for the players we trust, that have done very well for us" we finished 4th in the last campaign and are 4th again. Anya put in the worst performance I've ever seen in my life in the first half against England and Snodgrass wasn't far behind him. None of them get a game for their club and I'm fairly certain Anya hasn't played a club game for over a year now. But it's alright because he phones them and tells them he loves them.

"I want champions league players" and then leaves out McGregor, a player playing in the CL. Leaves out the Aberdeen captain again after being superb in Europe and brings in Barry Bannan. BARRY FUCKING BANNAN!!

If we don't get 6 points in these 2 games he can get to f**k, that's for sure!

Yeah that's what I'm suggesting. Seek help Tony.

First of all, learn what a fact is. Secondly, I literally answered the same question in the post you've quoted.

Plenty of journalists get on very well with Strachan (something he and they both get a lot of grief for) and point out that he puts on an act for the media. This is hardly an outlandish suggestion - it's pretty well-established.

I named Scott macdonald as one player who very much enjoyed his management style, and generally he's a manager that players enjoy playing for. You don't really hear players wanting rid of him (other than the one or two he's punted), and you only have to look at him managing to persuade brown to come back to show he has good relationships with players (again you might not agree with the decision to bring brown back but that's irrelevant to what we're discussing).

You can criticise Strachan for many things, but man management is not really one of them. What he says in the media is completely irrelevant to how he handles his players. If you haven't worked that out I really don't know what else I can say.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Was he not slagged last time for basically playing the Celtic starting 11 (or as close as he could)?

Possibly but not by me. Celtic are on a great run domestically and will be playing in the CL. It's a no brainer to play them all. They're the core of that team that is playing so well. Get a kind of club vibe into the starting 11

Don't find the squad at all surprising as Strachan has no interest in blooding youth, instead recalling the same pish that have failed for years. Demoralising squad for what will no doubt be a dreary performance yet Strachan will get away with it thanks to the SFA who don't give a shit and his mates in the media who won't say anything.

4 hours ago, Tartantony said:

"I want champions league players" and then leaves out McGregor, a player playing in the CL. Leaves out the Aberdeen captain again after being superb in Europe and brings in Barry Bannan. BARRY FUCKING BANNAN!!

If we don't get 6 points in these 2 games he can get to f**k, that's for sure!

This would be Barry Bannan who possesses more skills and vision than Callum McGregor?    

Bannan who was in the Championship team of the season?  

Bannan who has won motm in the opening two games for Shef Wed?  

Bannan who's proven he's good enough for Scotland.   

McGregor should be in the squad, but Bannan is a gem.   

Archived