Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

8 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

A bit disappointed there are only two Hibs players in the squad. McGregor, Hanlon, McGeouch, Murray, Stokes even Stevenson are unlucky not to be included.

Stokes has already played for England m9.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

Kenny MacLean has had a shite start to the season and I wouldn't have picked him but, clearly form has hee-haw to do with selection when McGinn, Hanley and Berra are in there.

McGinn has played very well this season apart from Saturday.

35 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

players from the EL second division

The what now?

Can't complain too much about the squad, but as others have said I'd have Christie and McGregor in there ahead of McGinn and Bannan. 

Kenny MacLean has had a shite start to the season and I wouldn't have picked him but, clearly form has hee-haw to do with selection when McGinn, Hanley and Berra are in there.

Er, McGinn has been fantastic this season.

Pleasing and unsurprising to see so many absolutely raging about the correct inclusion of Hibernian players.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

So, 2 'good' games against top flight opposition. Hardly consistent form. I'm not knocking him I hope he becomes a Scotland regular he just hasn't earned a place yet IMO

And the League Cup games, I didn't say that means he should be in the squad. He's been in form for us though. 

I'm not bothered if he's in the squad or not tbh. If I'm being selfish I'd rather he wasn't, less chance of getting injured. He's never let Scotland down though, getting MOTM on his debut. He'll be absolutely fine if he has to play these games as well.

At what point do we stop including the likes of Hanley, Fletcher, Martin, Naismith? Surely a good opportunity to integrate some new blood.

For me the 1st 11 near enough picks itself just now, so boys that are included outwith should either be for impact or up and coming cover. Strachan should at least be putting Oli Burke on the bench (if we are picking players who are not regularly playing how about one of our best prospects?)

although he is not proven himself at international level, barrie Mckay has had a great start to the year for forest, you could probably at least have 1 from an Aberdeen team that is performing well in SPL (Shinnie, Mclean, May....)

3 minutes ago, FullTimePint said:

At what point do we stop including the likes of Hanley, Fletcher, Martin, Naismith? Surely a good opportunity to integrate some new blood.

For me the 1st 11 near enough picks itself just now, so boys that are included outwith should either be for impact or up and coming cover. Strachan should at least be putting Oli Burke on the bench (if we are picking players who are not regularly playing how about one of our best prospects?)

although he is not proven himself at international level, barrie Mckay has had a great start to the year for forest, you could probably at least have 1 from an Aberdeen team that is performing well in SPL (Shinnie, Mclean, May....)

MacLean has been poor, May hasn't had any sort of consistency yet and Shinnie would have to start shiting out goals and gold bars at a rate of 10 a game in order to get picked, and even then under Strachan....

Outside of Shinnie for McGinn/Bannan (more likely Bannan) and McGregor for Ritchie (dire, dire player), probably around the squad I'd have chosen.

Whittaker is dreadful but we need cover at right back and with Paterson still not back, Whittaker is about the logical choice.

Shame Marshall and Morrison are injured as I would probably start both.

Michael O'Halloran is still technically a Rangers player, too scorer in the league and bang on form, surprised he didn't get into it. And before anyone starts I'm not being serious, but then again I'd rather play him than Forrest that's for sure.

45 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Whittaker :lol:

McGinn :lol:

Martin :lol:

Berra :lol:

Hanley :lol:

Naismith :lol:

Mulgrew :lol:

No McGregor, McLean, Cairney, Shinnie or Burke :lol:

What's that quote about doing the same things over and over and expecting different results?

Cairney is in the squad (unless there's another one you're thinking of and I'm forgetting), McLean and Shinnie are pretty much never going to be called up. I doubt that would change even with a different manager.  Burke's situation is a tricky one, because he's been told he's not going to play for the first team in Germany (granted, Snodgrass is in exactly the same situation at West Ham, but that's Strachan's cowardice more than anything).  I'd imagine Strachan's thinking is to let Burke fix his future without the distraction of international football.  It's hard to argue against that.

If you drop Martin, Berra and Hanley, then the team has pretty much no centre halves.  I can't imagine who'd replace them.  I wouldn't have Martin in that list, by the way.  He's definitely a class above Berra and an unfit Hanley.

Outside of Shinnie for McGinn/Bannan (more likely Bannan) and McGregor for Ritchie (dire, dire player), probably around the squad I'd have chosen.

Whittaker is dreadful but we need cover at right back and with Paterson still not back, Whittaker is about the logical choice.

Shame Marshall and Morrison are injured as I would probably start both.

Bannan has been great for Wednesday, and Matt Ritchie was one of the best players in the Championship last season. Saying that, I don't think either of them will start.

24 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Bannan has been great for Wednesday, and Matt Ritchie was one of the best players in the Championship last season. Saying that, I don't think either of them will start.

Matt Ritchie's great.  Slow, granted, which doesn't help Strachan's kick and rush system, but his left foot is unreal.  Scored the best individual goal I've ever seen Scotland score and has a fair few assists (mainly for Martin).  I might look at playing Ritchie in the 10, rather than Snodgrass, if Strachan chooses to play a 4-2-3-1.  I think Armstrong's moved ahead of him though.

Archived