Penalty records

Mon The Port

Who has the best penalty conversion rate in the juniors?

My guess would be Tommy Coyne of Linlithgow.

Any statto's have a record of their clubs penalty takers?

Would also be interested to hear goalkeepers penalty save rates.

I think Tommy has missed 3 in the 8/9 seasons he has been with us.

Not sure how many he has scored but probably about 6/7 a season

3 hours ago, Mon The Port said:

Before our time , but one of the greatest exponents of penalty kick taking was Jimmy Carabine of Larkhall & Third Lanark ( also Scotland )

Scott Black who's now a coach with Petershill was incredible for us when it came to penalty shootouts...don't think we lost one the whole time he was with us. When a game went to penalties you knew you had it won because he'd invariably save at least one, and more often than not two or three.

Took a mean penalty as well...basically took a bye kick at the opposing keeper which nobody was keen on getting in the way of.

In 2012 Shotts beat Largs (on penalties) to reach the final of the Scottish Junior Cup. With the possible exception of goalkeeper Craig Brown, the team was still pissed two days later when they had to play Shettleston in the third round of the Central Cup. This is how the SBA website remembers the penalty shoot-out after a dire 90 minutes of football.

What Craig Brown did was incredible. No chance with the first four Shettleston efforts, he had to save the fifth from old warhorse Andy Thomson as Tony Fleming had missed the Bon Accord's second, and that's what he did to take the lottery into sudden death. His team-mates - Murray Watson, Ryan Sullivan and Brian Jack - then missed their efforts and each time he had to dig them and the rest of the team out of the mire. He saved from McCormack, Mackay and Boyle, then took the ninth himself, scored of course (fairy tales have got to have a happy ending) then saved Keenan's effort to boot, all of which means we're off next week to Rob Roy for the quarter-final.

Five consecutive penalty saves, and the winning goal to boot. Match that!

It's on YouTube as well. Enjoy!

Archived