Fud(s) Of The Week

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

I'll start the bidding with these potential Mastermind winners.......................

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/anti-immigrant-group-ridiculed-mistakes-empty-bus-seats-women-wearing-burkas-095344639.html

If you analyse this it becomes a bit depressing. It is funny, and my first reaction was to laugh at the silly far-right goons, but then I saw a comment challenging my reaction, because really I was partly laughing at myself.

Here's the full picture:

bus-seats-burqa-637x397.jpg

The point that I read was this: The uncomfortable fact is that everyone can see the "funny" likeness, otherwise this story wouldn't be going viral. Which potentially opens the questions as to whether this clothing really does dehumanise, doesn't it?

If that's the case, the only difference between the idiots on the far-right and everyone else is not that there isn't a shared observation that there is a likeness between inanimate objects and burqa clad women, but their disgusting and predictable reaction ("send 'em home" "they've probably got bombs under there" etc.).

Is the fact that so many people are sharing this on social media is therefore a tacit admission that they share this observation (and what it therefore implies about this clothing) even if, when pressed, they'd probably claim not to?

It reflects poorly on both Western society's ability to accept difference as a component of society, and also on stupid religious mores that encourage non-integration.

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

If you analyse this it becomes a bit depressing. It is funny, and my first reaction was to laugh at the silly far-right goons, but then I saw a comment challenging my reaction, because really I was partly laughing at myself.

Here's the full picture:

The point that I read was this: The uncomfortable fact is that everyone can see the "funny" likeness, otherwise this story wouldn't be going viral. Which potentially opens the questions as to whether this clothing really does dehumanise, doesn't it?

If that's the case, the only difference between the idiots on the far-right and everyone else is not that there isn't a shared observation that there is a likeness between inanimate objects and burqa clad women, but their disgusting and predictable reaction ("send 'em home" "they've probably got bombs under there" etc.).

Is the fact that so many people are sharing this on social media is therefore a tacit admission that they share this observation (and what it therefore implies about this clothing) even if, when pressed, they'd probably claim not to?

It reflects poorly on both Western society's ability to accept difference as a component of society, and also on stupid religious mores that encourage non-integration.

I'm confused. If I think the chairs look like dearth vaders so who or what am I offending?

2 hours ago, milton75 said:

Here's the full picture:

The whole point of a burqa is to become invisible to lecherous men, which maybe only works on a bus. Myself, the flash of ankle sock in a trainer below a burqa with a glimpse of headphone leads gives me an enormous stiffy. My only wish is that more women in Inverness would wear them.

Here's the full picture:

I think you're over-analysing it.

It's gone viral because it's funny. It's funny because most (me included) see the seats as women.

Life can be fun if you let it.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The whole point of a burqa is to become invisible to lecherous men, which maybe only works on a bus. Myself, the flash of ankle sock in a trainer below a burqa with a glimpse of headphone leads gives me an enormous stiffy. My only wish is that more women in Inverness would wear them.

When I lived in the Middle East I was often bemused by the fact that local women covered themselves totally, as is the tradition, yet thought nothing of whipping out a tit to breastfeed their crustgrabbers, as and when required. I would often see this in the gardens of the hospital as I went into work, yet you couldn't see a single solitary inch of them at other times. I guess the breast is seen as a food pump rather than a sexualised area of the body....................................

but not by me :thumsup2

• 1 month later...

This Fud.

Nicky Cooper

School sends 'wrong trousers' pupils home.

Pupils were lined up at the gates of a secondary school while their trousers were checked to see if they were the right shade of grey - with some failing the inspection and being sent home.

Head teacher of the Wearside school Nicky Cooper says she is "very, very particular" about uniform

Archived